Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 09:00 AM

36,100 posts, read 30,588,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
No.

Do you also think diabetics should be ashamed to take a "synthetic substance", insulin, to "feel better"? Depression, like diabetes, is an illness. Willpower can't change brain chemistry nor the hormone production of the islets of Langerhans. Antidepressants, like synthetic insulin, save lives.
The problem is with the diagnosis. Where diabetes is cut and dry through testing, doctors often prescribe antidepressant after just speaking with a patient for less than 5 minutes. Im sure medications are great if the person legitimately needs them. In a way passing out antidepressants would be like doctors giving insulin to people that are not diabetic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2011, 09:04 AM

36,100 posts, read 30,588,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Erm..no.
The doctor who sees you in his office and prescribes medicine, is not the doctor who is in a lab researching a cure. It's a different person. It is ALSO not the doctor who is developing a treatment medication. That is yet another person.

If the doctor who sees you in the office, was busy looking for a cure, then he'd have no time to see you in his office. Different people perform different functions. The people looking for cures need funding, and they're not getting it. The people looking for treatments need funding, and they are getting it. The people who see you in their office need funding, and get it from you and your insurance company. Neither you nor your insurance company are giving a red cent to the people who are looking for a cure. However, you DO pay the pharmaceutical company that makes your treatment through your own pocket and your insurance.

If you want a cure for the ailment, then give money to the research organizations that are looking for the cure.

I believe what was meant is that doctors get kick backs from the pharmaceutical companies and if the doctor keeps you coming back for your check up and prescription every 3 months instead of offering an alternative to medication, he will be losing the price of those office visits and kick backs.

Old 02-24-2011, 09:37 AM

1,318 posts, read 5,261,854 times
I think some are on ADs that dont need them. I was prescribed Paxil for
anxiety and it was a Godsend. If one is just feeling blue or a bit down
ADs wont work for them. But true depression and anxiety can be helped with
ADs. JMO

Greenchili

Old 02-24-2011, 09:45 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,219,932 times
But never touch Ativan or Xanax, these are soooooo addictive. Diazepam is a better option the half-life can be up to 200 hours.

Old 02-24-2011, 09:57 AM

1,224 posts, read 3,990,948 times
I disagree. I take Xanax when needed. In December, when my anxiety was off the charts, I took 1 mg per day... split up in 2 0.5 mg doses. This month, I have only taken a half pill only twice. I think if the dose fits the level of anxiety, then it can be used without becoming addicted. Of course, if someone has an addictive personality, they will abuse just about anything.

Old 02-24-2011, 10:22 AM

2,404 posts, read 6,247,172 times
Smile I kept turning AD down...until...

My Dr wanted me to start AD back in Sept 1999 when I had a heart attack, CHF, a leg bypass from foot to groin & a quintuple heart bypass all within a week. I just didn't want to take any AD.
1-1-2000 I had a cadaver vein transplant in foot to knee & plastic put in knee to groin because the leg bypass didn't work. I also had 3 toes amputated on the other foot a week later.
Dr. wanted me to go on an AD. I didn't want to.
3 years later thecadaver vein transplant stopped working. So they amputated below my knee. It wouldn't heal there was no blood flow So 8 weeks later they amputated above my knee.
Dr wanted me to go on AD. I didn't want to.
Learning how to walk with a prosthesis and all the exercise therapy from heart bypass to learning to walk again.
Dr insisted I go on a AD. I wouldn't do it.
Having 30% kidney function...
Having bad circulation...
Neuropathy...
Having a vitrectomy in left eye, 1000's of zaps of laser in each eye, cataracts removed from both eyes.
BTW... I am in the medical books. for youngest person to have a cataract removed at age 29. Wish I got some money for that LOL...
One has to keep their humor about things.

I have always been a very determined person.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Hope for the best, it could always be worse"
and
"There is somebody out there a lot worse of than you are"

These are the two sayoings I have said that has gotten me thru my health issues.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I went thru all the Diabetic health issues a person can have.
So what happens.....menopause sets in 100%
Hot flashes like crazy At least 40 bad ones a day not counting at night.....
I can't have HRT beacuse of my heart disease & a take blood thinners.
So the only option to try & help the hot flashes...
ANTI- DEPRESSANTS...
Can you believe it.
So with everything I have been thru... I now take AD for hot flashes & they have worked...so for. That's how bad the HF were.

I held out as long as I could. I'm a much better person now.
So I don't care if my Dr. gets a kick back or not. If a drug helps your life feel & do better. I say for me...do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitlock View Post
But never touch Ativan or Xanax, these are soooooo addictive. Diazepam is a better option the half-life can be up to 200 hours.
Xanax does nothing for me. Dr gave me these after one of our dogs died. Our dogs are our kids.
Valium just makes me tired, but I still cried a lot.
It's basically the same drug.

I say one has to do what makes them feel better.

Old 02-24-2011, 01:17 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,659,747 times
Sillypups, I am so sorry you have had so many problems. I am a great believer in ADs for the right person. Too many general practice docs hand them out like candy, IMO, but not due to drug company influence, just their lack of understanding and wanting to help a patient. A psychiatrist is the best person to do the initial diagnosis and prescription but when a person is stable, the PCP can then take over re-fills.

Old 02-24-2011, 02:05 PM

3,485 posts, read 7,284,677 times
I believe so. 90% of people who are on them probably should not be on them. The data on these drugs is also not very encouraging... basically no different from placebo.

Old 02-24-2011, 02:06 PM

1,224 posts, read 3,990,948 times
Therapy would probably help with 99% of those taking antidepressants. But, pills are cheaper, more discreet, and take less time. It's expensive to see a therapist time after time, and it can interfere with work schedules too.

Old 02-24-2011, 02:28 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,553,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Erm..no.
The doctor who sees you in his office and prescribes medicine, is not the doctor who is in a lab researching a cure. It's a different person. It is ALSO not the doctor who is developing a treatment medication. That is yet another person.

If the doctor who sees you in the office, was busy looking for a cure, then he'd have no time to see you in his office. Different people perform different functions. The people looking for cures need funding, and they're not getting it. The people looking for treatments need funding, and they are getting it. The people who see you in their office need funding, and get it from you and your insurance company. Neither you nor your insurance company are giving a red cent to the people who are looking for a cure. However, you DO pay the pharmaceutical company that makes your treatment through your own pocket and your insurance.

If you want a cure for the ailment, then give money to the research organizations that are looking for the cure.

There was a time when doctors didn't automatically prescribe medication.

Or make up brand new diseases for them to treat. Chronic fatigue syndrome, anyone?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health