Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 05:34 AM

1,047 posts, read 3,989,705 times

Advertisements

[quote=Bayarea4;18052064]I'm sure that there are many people on antidepressants who don't need them, but for those who do, they're a godsend. If you are clinically depressed, your brain doesn't work like that of a normal person. Depression can be caused by a chemical imbalance, and antidepressants correct that imbalance. It's a biological disorder like any other except that it affects your mind, not your body. As another poster mentioned upthread, there should be no more stigma attached to taking an antidepressant than there is in taking insulin if you are diabetic.

I do not know anyone who has been diagnosed as "clinically depressed". I am not at all judging someone who has been. But..... It does depend on what type of diabetes you are speaking of, 1 or 2. As I understand it, type 1 diabetes is unavoidable. Type 2 is brought on by lifestyle, poor eating habits and little to no physical activity. Point being, this is something totally in an individuals grasp of avoiding. Maybe chemical imbalance is the same? I don't know for sure, but I would think that lifestyle habits would have a large impact on a persons depression. Again, that being said, I have never experienced depression, so am in no way judging. [I'm not Tom Cruise here telling Brooke Shields she should have controlled her postpartum depression through diet and exercise] I'm just posing the possibility. I guess I would try everything and research everything to try before going on any medication.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2011, 06:00 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,999,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennie Flowers View Post
At times I feel as though they do. Yet, I would call myself a hypocrite as I just got my first prescription for anxiety a couple of days ago. A doctor had prescribed me this medicine at the beginning of the year and I was just too ashamed and in denial to actually have this prescription filled up until Monday.

I'm still in guilt about taking my medication, partly because I know that people have it worse off than me and they live without psychiatric medical assistance; I should be able to as well.

If people made it through slavery, the Great Depression and the 60's revolution without the help of medication, then I should be able to as well.

Although, part of me says that I truly do need to take anxiety medication as I have suffered from anxiety since I can remember. I had to almost repeat a grade in elementary school as I would always skip school because of anxiety.

I'm now in my early 20's and am trying to change. It's just unfortunate how I have to depend on some synthetic substance to make me feel better.
I think you are being far too hard on yourself.

I once asked my Dr, what did people do before asthma medication was available? He responded, "they died." BTW, I have asthma and take medication and not one ounce of shame here.

There is nothing wrong with taking meds for anxiety or any medication if it improves the quality of life. I am sure throughout history people have suffered unnecessarily as the medications did not exist at the time.

Be easy on you, feel no shame, and get some relief from the anxiety.

Old 02-27-2011, 06:24 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I believe what was meant is that doctors get kick backs from the pharmaceutical companies and if the doctor keeps you coming back for your check up and prescription every 3 months instead of offering an alternative to medication, he will be losing the price of those office visits and kick backs.
Your all-encompassing statement "Doctors get kickbacks from the pharmaceutical companies" is incorrect.

SOME doctors accept ILLEGAL kickbacks from UNSCRUPULOUS pharmaceutical representatives.

Rx company kickbacks to doctors is against the law, and both doctors and the pharm. reps have paid fines, served jail time, and had licenses and hospital privileges revoked as a result.

Old 02-27-2011, 11:33 AM

142 posts, read 567,928 times
Quote:
Your all-encompassing statement "Doctors get kickbacks from the pharmaceutical companies" is incorrect.

SOME doctors accept ILLEGAL kickbacks from UNSCRUPULOUS pharmaceutical representatives.

Rx company kickbacks to doctors is against the law, and both doctors and the pharm. reps have paid fines, served jail time, and had licenses and hospital privileges revoked as a result.
LMFAO - while legally and morally true, I know for a FACT it happens quite often. Pharmaceutical company money (trillion dollar industry) runs deep, they spend $33.5 billion on promotion alone.

It may be against the law, and parties from both sides may have faced legal actions, but to say it's not a common practice is nieve.

Old 02-27-2011, 11:49 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,447,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennie Flowers View Post
At times I feel as though they do. Yet, I would call myself a hypocrite as I just got my first prescription for anxiety a couple of days ago. A doctor had prescribed me this medicine at the beginning of the year and I was just too ashamed and in denial to actually have this prescription filled up until Monday.

I'm still in guilt about taking my medication, partly because I know that people have it worse off than me and they live without psychiatric medical assistance; I should be able to as well.

If people made it through slavery, the Great Depression and the 60's revolution without the help of medication, then I should be able to as well.

Although, part of me says that I truly do need to take anxiety medication as I have suffered from anxiety since I can remember. I had to almost repeat a grade in elementary school as I would always skip school because of anxiety.

I'm now in my early 20's and am trying to change. It's just unfortunate how I have to depend on some synthetic substance to make me feel better.
I think there are things in our food supply altering our body chemistry.
I think trying to eat more natural is a way to help this.
Are there foods that trigger your anxiety maybe a food journal or trigger journal would help you out.

Old 02-27-2011, 12:20 PM

9,532 posts, read 16,518,269 times
I most definitely do think there are many Americans that depend on these drugs. I also think the drug companies are thrilled they do. The nonstop commercials about depression and ask your doctor about this drug or that one are a disgrace. The Evening news is filled with one after the other that I mute the TV until the news comes back on.

I still believe if one wants to feel better get some much needed exercise especially cardio. If that doesn't work then talk to your doctor if you can find a decent one.

Old 02-27-2011, 12:25 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,926,647 times
We have been totally sold a bill of goods, regarding the NEED for medications. If you are anxious, find out why and do something about the root cause. Find ways to deal with it. Try EFT. It works in five minutes. No excuse not to try natural cures. Go to your health food store and speak to someone who can tell you which vitamins to take (probably B's and E) and what healthy foods to eat . . . read up on natural remedies . . . get rid of negative lifestyle choices. You are not a victim. I doubt there is anything wrong with your brain, but putting toxins in your body will not improve your health.

Old 02-27-2011, 01:12 PM

142 posts, read 567,928 times
Another interesting thought regarding the pharmaceutical companies "real" priorities.

When was the last major vaccine developed; smallpox 1972? When was the last time a serious disease, virus, etc was considered eradicated?

Medicine has become a business; treating an illness with a lifetime of medications is far more profitable than a one time inoculation. It's a sort of PharmD "job security" measure.

Of course, this is only valid for certain types of medications; specifically vaccines. Thyroid condition, for example, would of course require daily hormone supplements regardless.

Old 02-28-2011, 06:33 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Offsetdude View Post
If your Doc is prescribing drugs like AD after seeing you for 5 minutes without any other testing you need to find a new Doc.
Too many ppl are either uniformed or they seek out drs. to prescribe AD because it is easier than dealing with their emotions. It is quite common especially with women. I have know several women who only have to say I have cramps and get irrateable that time of the month and bam, perscription for xanz or whatever the drug of choice is now. Three in five women I know are on some sort of AD meds.

Old 03-01-2011, 01:06 AM

15 posts, read 16,329 times
I, as an American, depended on them. After a screwed up childhood, loosing my grandfater (they only person I felt who loved me), marrying and divorcing a dangerous pedophile, etc made me lose touch with reality. I felt I needed these pills just to interact on a day to day basis. I was taking two different types of antidepresants, 3 sleep aids, anxiety pills, and something else I cant remember all at the same time. Nearly 9yrs I allowed my past to control me. Finally early last yr I gained the strength, to stop all of them and get control again. I think my motivation was falling madly in love with my current husband, whom is European and against medicine. He actually came to my doctors office and had a fit because he didnt feel as though they had my best interest. After that a head doc reevaluated my meds and agreed that I was heavily medicated, addicted to my sleep meds, and numb to everything. Long story short, when my pain was abundant the pills gave me comfort. I am glad to say after a very long weening process, I am now free from them all clean since . June.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health