Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 04:26 AM

324 posts, read 570,891 times

Advertisements

At times I feel as though they do. Yet, I would call myself a hypocrite as I just got my first prescription for anxiety a couple of days ago. A doctor had prescribed me this medicine at the beginning of the year and I was just too ashamed and in denial to actually have this prescription filled up until Monday.

I'm still in guilt about taking my medication, partly because I know that people have it worse off than me and they live without psychiatric medical assistance; I should be able to as well.

If people made it through slavery, the Great Depression and the 60's revolution without the help of medication, then I should be able to as well.

Although, part of me says that I truly do need to take anxiety medication as I have suffered from anxiety since I can remember. I had to almost repeat a grade in elementary school as I would always skip school because of anxiety.

I'm now in my early 20's and am trying to change. It's just unfortunate how I have to depend on some synthetic substance to make me feel better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2011, 04:29 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,556,035 times
I think doctors rely too much on prescribing things to alleviate symptoms, instead of looking for cures. Because they can keep on prescribing medications, which requires an office visit, which means a sum deposited in their account. If they cure the person, and they don't have to come back, then they don't get any more money from the person.

Old 02-24-2011, 05:59 AM

25,719 posts, read 21,880,574 times
Yes. When we were kids, the doctor gave out dums-dums when we left the office instead of a handful of prescriptions but then, we ate right, exercised and had a relatively clean conscious. Maybe they just need the dum-dum tree and some kind words? Seriously, has anyone seen the reports of all the drugs in the drinking water that aren't flushed out. Medication Nation! Too much of everything!

Old 02-24-2011, 06:59 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,390,245 times
I think we are much too quick to medicate instead of useing therapy to teach people how to cope with their issues. Anxiety however is often caused by a chemical imballance so medication is often apropriate & effective.
Often times though medication is prescribed to help a person ignore things they should be working to change. IMO anyway.

Old 02-24-2011, 07:11 AM

15,583 posts, read 10,314,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennie Flowers View Post
At times I feel as though they do. Yet, I would call myself a hypocrite as I just got my first prescription for anxiety a couple of days ago. A doctor had prescribed me this medicine at the beginning of the year and I was just too ashamed and in denial to actually have this prescription filled up until Monday.

I'm still in guilt about taking my medication, partly because I know that people have it worse off than me and they live without psychiatric medical assistance; I should be able to as well.

If people made it through slavery, the Great Depression and the 60's revolution without the help of medication, then I should be able to as well.

Although, part of me says that I truly do need to take anxiety medication as I have suffered from anxiety since I can remember. I had to almost repeat a grade in elementary school as I would always skip school because of anxiety.

I'm now in my early 20's and am trying to change. It's just unfortunate how I have to depend on some synthetic substance to make me feel better.
No.

Do you also think diabetics should be ashamed to take a "synthetic substance", insulin, to "feel better"? Depression, like diabetes, is an illness. Willpower can't change brain chemistry nor the hormone production of the islets of Langerhans. Antidepressants, like synthetic insulin, save lives.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 02-24-2011 at 07:35 AM..

Old 02-24-2011, 07:48 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,219,932 times
As Ive stated before: Prayin, church and therapy or warm chicken soup aint gonna help. Look at the people at WalMart all of them are on somekind of antidepressant, neuroleptic, benzo, barb, opiate or diet pill. No big deal!

Old 02-24-2011, 07:52 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,680,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I think doctors rely too much on prescribing things to alleviate symptoms, instead of looking for cures. Because they can keep on prescribing medications, which requires an office visit, which means a sum deposited in their account. If they cure the person, and they don't have to come back, then they don't get any more money from the person.
Erm..no.
The doctor who sees you in his office and prescribes medicine, is not the doctor who is in a lab researching a cure. It's a different person. It is ALSO not the doctor who is developing a treatment medication. That is yet another person.

If the doctor who sees you in the office, was busy looking for a cure, then he'd have no time to see you in his office. Different people perform different functions. The people looking for cures need funding, and they're not getting it. The people looking for treatments need funding, and they are getting it. The people who see you in their office need funding, and get it from you and your insurance company. Neither you nor your insurance company are giving a red cent to the people who are looking for a cure. However, you DO pay the pharmaceutical company that makes your treatment through your own pocket and your insurance.

If you want a cure for the ailment, then give money to the research organizations that are looking for the cure.

Old 02-24-2011, 08:00 AM

1,224 posts, read 3,990,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennie Flowers View Post

Americans DO depend on Anti-depressants, but our hectic lifestyles dictate it.

Old 02-24-2011, 08:18 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,219,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milleka View Post
Americans DO depend on Anti-depressants, but our hectic lifestyles dictate it.
And there is also a direct correlation between this and the fact that we now have an obese population.

The only hectic thing in Montana is an angry moose.

Last edited by Northwindsforever; 02-24-2011 at 08:39 AM..

Old 02-24-2011, 08:55 AM

1,224 posts, read 3,990,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitlock View Post
And there is also a direct correlation between this and the fact that we now have an obese population.

The only hectic thing in Montana is an angry moose.
As a "fatty", I totally agree. I wasn't fat or take antidepressants when I was a SAHM. Now... sheesh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health