Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 10:06 AM

1,780 posts, read 2,344,487 times

Advertisements

Since growing up I have had a learning disability. I may learn something on Monday, but it won't sink in until about Wednesday or Thursday. If you gave me a test on the same day that I learned something I would probably fail. Give me a test a week later or even a few years later and I am good.

I am just curious, could this be a form of short term memory loss? It's weird. I can do other things. It only applies when I am learning something, not everyday life, so I think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2011, 10:59 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,599,381 times
If you learned it, it's not a learning disability. You may have some processing thing going on.

Old 03-04-2011, 10:57 AM

Good point. I just wonder why it takes so long for info to sink in.

Old 03-04-2011, 01:14 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,599,381 times
People who are depressed have memory problems. Could that be the case for you?

Old 03-06-2011, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
People who are depressed have memory problems. Could that be the case for you?
I don't think I'm depressed. I was once told by a psychologist that I was borderline ADHD and borderline Bipolar. I took several tests and I was right in the middle on all of them. He couldn't figure it out.

I recently retook the tests and got the same results. He said that most people are well over the line in either direction.

Old 03-06-2011, 11:03 AM

271 posts, read 392,032 times
I've been clinically diagnosed with depression, and so from experience, can tell you that you may be in some sort of depressed state(subconsciously/unconscious) and not even fully be aware of it(that was redundant). Especially, if you've been diagnosed with borderline bipolar characteristics. My memory(or lack there of) is constantly affected by my depression and I sometimes go many months(years) without full awareness of the depressive symptoms. If you have the ability(insurance,etc) to see a counselor or some mental health professional or clergy(if religious) so you could talk to someone...than it would probably help tremendously. Since, sometimes all we really want or need is somebody to hear our thoughts. Also, about the ADHD...I too have attention deficit and often times, this too, can leave our thoughts, somewhat airy feeling and unfocused(hence the deficit definition) which can affect our memory. Boredom, too, another sign of possible ADHD, can also affect our memory. I'm quite affected, by my poor ability, to gather all my thoughts, into a coherent pattern...so I hope this wasn't too painful of a post from me! Cheers!

Old 03-07-2011, 12:29 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,004,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fractured_kidult View Post
Since growing up I have had a learning disability. I may learn something on Monday, but it won't sink in until about Wednesday or Thursday. If you gave me a test on the same day that I learned something I would probably fail. Give me a test a week later or even a few years later and I am good.
That pretty much describes how I learn. When I was in school (and later on the job) it would often take two or three days for it to sink in. I found I'd "Get it" laying in bed at night three days after the fact. I've never been tested but I'm quite sure I'd be told I have ADD. (I looked out the window in school a lot and thought about something else.)

I also graduated from college, with multiple degrees, with honors. Some people just learn and process information differently. I've never, ever worried about it.

Old 03-07-2011, 05:48 PM

26,592 posts, read 26,472,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
If you learned it, it's not a learning disability. You may have some processing thing going on.
There are many auditory and visual processing disorders, all considered learning disabilities. Such learning disabilities affect how you learn, including the speed with which you learn.

Old 03-11-2011, 04:49 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,778,423 times
my brother explains his learning issues much the same way (he also has to repeat things alot to realy remember/grasp those concepts...) he has dysphraxia along with an "undiagnosed learning disability" that is common in dysphraxic people.

Old 03-11-2011, 05:14 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,721,344 times
Does it make a difference if you switch up how you learn the material? Like if you learned it from reading, would you learn the same material more quickly if you heard it in a lecture, or vice versa? I never did learn very easily from listening to lectures and half the info would get twisted anyway, but can read and learn easily that way. My mind does work more slowly than most but I have a high-average IQ, so I don't think it means you're not smart.

Maybe the info has to take a few detours and you're making some connections with previously learned material that others would never think of--that's been my experience. I think of my brain as a maze and info goes in and hits a wall. Then it takes a detour and picks up some friends along the way and stops to smell the flowers and then thinks that maybe it had better get on its way and hits another wall and . . . eventually it gets where it's supposed to go, but it's not a fast process. And yes, I have inattentive ADHD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health