Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 08:22 PM

1,009 posts, read 4,038,804 times

Advertisements

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2012, 06:05 PM

1,009 posts, read 4,038,804 times
Small containers of virgin coconut oil can usually be found among the nutritional supplements near the pharmacy at Walmart or most supermarkets.

One consumption option is blending with pudding:

3¼ cups warm water
1 package Kroger sugar-free vanilla pudding
2 tablespoons (or your preference) warm virgin coconut oil
6 ounces Kroger CARBmaster vanilla dairy blend (yogurt)
optional . . 2 tablespoons (or your preference) chia seeds

Old 02-19-2012, 06:15 PM

18,270 posts, read 14,431,077 times
And for those that don't like to eat the coconut oil, there is an option of buying coconut oil capsules such as these.

Swanson EFAs Certified Organic Coconut Oil 1,000 mg 60 Sgels - Swanson Health Products

This place sells affordable and clean products and service. I have been buying all kinds of capsules from them for over a decade and have always been satisfied.

Old 02-23-2012, 09:45 AM

7,444 posts, read 7,016,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
And anyone who keeps up with the news knows Big Pharma controls this country's medical arena. I've cured more personal ailments with alternative medicine than with prescriptions. Call me weird but I just don't trust the drug companies. It's all about money. Pitiful.
I've totally come around to your way of thinking the last year or so.

I walk into my internists office, and it is a freakin' store front for big pharma.

Pills for this and that and if you're fat and can't lose weight by eating more fruit and veggies and your government recommended dose of "healthy" grains, try surgery!

There's even a flat screen TV that runs these looping infomercials like it's a real news program focused on health, but it all comes back to what pills you should be taking for whatever ails you.

People have to take charge of their own health, and it all begins with what you eat and drink.

Last edited by MUTGR; 02-23-2012 at 09:53 AM..

Old 02-23-2012, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoise View Post
This is facsinating and also very promising. What a terrible disease. It has certainly effected my family and as I'm aging (now 44) it concerns me a great deal.

On a seperate but, I think, related note, has anyone seen examples of improvements in Alzheimer's with a ketogenic diet (i.e. low carb)?

If you restrict carbs low enough (typically under 50 grams per day) you begin to burn ketones for fuel rather than glucose.

If it is the ketones in coconut oil that help with Alzheimer's disease, I'm wondering if following a ketogenic diet (i.e. low carb) would produce the same or similar results (or better?) due to the ketones being produced by your body rather than simply consuming them as a supplement?

Old 02-23-2012, 02:26 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
I've totally come around to your way of thinking the last year or so.

I walk into my internists office, and it is a freakin' store front for big pharma.

Pills for this and that and if you're fat and can't lose weight by eating more fruit and veggies and your government recommended dose of "healthy" grains, try surgery!

There's even a flat screen TV that runs these looping infomercials like it's a real news program focused on health, but it all comes back to what pills you should be taking for whatever ails you.

People have to take charge of their own health, and it all begins with what you eat and drink.
And chiropractors, naturopaths, neuropaths, all THOSE offices are store fronts for "big herba" (supplement manufacturers). Yeah, don't take what THAT doctor prescribes...take THESE all natural herbal pills instead! Oh and by the way, your insurance doesn't cover it, and we'll put you on just a 18-pill-per-day combination of pills, plus yummy powdered cardboard in 6 awesome flavors, for only $399 per month.

And when you discover in 5 years that you're worse off than you were when you started, we can just pretend it's because your chakras aren't in balance and recommend another 5 pills, plus 4 sessions per month of accupuncture and hot rock massages (also not covered by insurance).

If you're really lucky, none of this crap will put you in the hospital. But if you're not lucky, we'll just blame it on a psychological/skeletal imbalance and add another 20 pills to the mix.

All natural though, so don't worry!

Old 02-23-2012, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
And chiropractors, naturopaths, neuropaths, all THOSE offices are store fronts for "big herba" (supplement manufacturers). Yeah, don't take what THAT doctor prescribes...take THESE all natural herbal pills instead! Oh and by the way, your insurance doesn't cover it, and we'll put you on just a 18-pill-per-day combination of pills, plus yummy powdered cardboard in 6 awesome flavors, for only $399 per month.

And when you discover in 5 years that you're worse off than you were when you started, we can just pretend it's because your chakras aren't in balance and recommend another 5 pills, plus 4 sessions per month of accupuncture and hot rock massages (also not covered by insurance).

If you're really lucky, none of this crap will put you in the hospital. But if you're not lucky, we'll just blame it on a psychological/skeletal imbalance and add another 20 pills to the mix.

All natural though, so don't worry!
A good diet is all I'm advocating.

Old 02-24-2012, 03:58 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,799,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidrah View Post
I am not sure of the science behind it, but it is amazing stuff.
I was doing my own research for mom's sake and found this website and article which discusses some of the science: Alternative Treatments | Alzheimer's Association
Interesting that they make it into a food and then sell it by prescription. I was pretty excited about the idea but wasn't sure how well we could get the shake down her since we couldn't get her to eat, but I went and made her a smoothie and it took all morning to get her to take 2 sips and then she threw it all up. I knew that something was wrong and we got her an MRI and the dx was terminal cancer in her gut--they didn't know where it started and 2 weeks later, she died. That was a month ago and I'm still in a bit of shock though very glad that she didn't live out the alzheimer's dx--still I had hoped to help her and that was the last thing I was thinking about before we lost her and I can't say if it would have helped or not--it was too late and a lot of the symptoms we were seeing were probably delirium from the cancer.

A quick summary of this article though is that EVCO creates ketone bodies and your brain can not only use those as an alternate fuel, but actually prefers them. The only other way to create ketone bodies is to go on a low carb diet, such as Atkins. I know when I did Atkins years ago, my brain got very clear during that time, though I have ADD, not alzheimer's.

Old 02-24-2012, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
I was doing my own research for mom's sake and found this website and article which discusses some of the science: Alternative Treatments | Alzheimer's Association
Interesting that they make it into a food and then sell it by prescription. I was pretty excited about the idea but wasn't sure how well we could get the shake down her since we couldn't get her to eat, but I went and made her a smoothie and it took all morning to get her to take 2 sips and then she threw it all up. I knew that something was wrong and we got her an MRI and the dx was terminal cancer in her gut--they didn't know where it started and 2 weeks later, she died. That was a month ago and I'm still in a bit of shock though very glad that she didn't live out the alzheimer's dx--still I had hoped to help her and that was the last thing I was thinking about before we lost her and I can't say if it would have helped or not--it was too late and a lot of the symptoms we were seeing were probably delirium from the cancer.

A quick summary of this article though is that EVCO creates ketone bodies and your brain can not only use those as an alternate fuel, but actually prefers them. The only other way to create ketone bodies is to go on a low carb diet, such as Atkins. I know when I did Atkins years ago, my brain got very clear during that time, though I have ADD, not alzheimer's.
Thanks for the information and very sorry for your loss.

Old 02-24-2012, 09:30 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,799,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
This is facsinating and also very promising. What a terrible disease. It has certainly effected my family and as I'm aging (now 44) it concerns me a great deal.

On a seperate but, I think, related note, has anyone seen examples of improvements in Alzheimer's with a ketogenic diet (i.e. low carb)?

If you restrict carbs low enough (typically under 50 grams per day) you begin to burn ketones for fuel rather than glucose.

If it is the ketones in coconut oil that help with Alzheimer's disease, I'm wondering if following a ketogenic diet (i.e. low carb) would produce the same or similar results (or better?) due to the ketones being produced by your body rather than simply consuming them as a supplement?
I just want to add that I would think that a low carb diet would be good, for improvement, but esp for prevention, b/c a lot of the new studies coming out are pointing to the idea that poor blood sugar control may be the culprit in brain cell death and you don't even have to be diabetic--mom never was--so I should think that the tighter your BS control, the better off you'll be. I was looking into the very same thing this past December and will be looking into it again for myself before too long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health