Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2011, 01:17 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,183,887 times

Advertisements

just found out the results of my Mom's hysterectomy today. She had a tumor the size of a peach in uterus and it had spread to her lymph nodes. She had the hysterectomy a week ago. So, she is considered at grade 3 and stage 3c. This is all foreign to me since I've never known anyone who has had cancer.

But, she is schizophrenic as well. She was un-medicated for 30 years and only got onto medication mid 2007. This entire ordeal has been out of her scope of functioning and she has about the mental comprehension of a 5 year old due to the stress. I think she just shuts down when something becomes too much for her. But, she is now living with me and I spell everything out for her, cook and do everything for her. We had been able to reduce her anti-psychotics to 1/2 what they were in 2007 but we doubled her Lorazepam with the surgery approaching. Does anyone know if there can be too much overload on her mind and the anti-psychotics should be upped? .....(wow I guess I always knew life could be too much for her mind or else she wouldn't have probs) ironic.

All still new and there are some wise people on this site.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2011, 01:25 PM

7,394 posts, read 19,285,841 times
Sorry I can't be of much help but I did know of a few people that were taking these types of drugs while on chemo. They had surgery too so I guess it can be done.

Old 03-28-2011, 04:28 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,969,287 times
You really need to be asking these questions to her psychiatrist, as we are lay people on this board.

I'm happy to offer an opinion though. Mental illness is hard enough to handle on its own. Add a Dx like cancer to the mix and it could be enough to push anyone over the edge.

Please do contact her Dr. (shrink) ASAP if you have not done so to provide him or her with this new medical information. Maybe it's time she sign POW over to you or someone else at this point too so these conversations can legally take place. At a minimum, she can sign off on a release of information so you can talk to her Dr.

I am sorry for this situation.

Old 03-28-2011, 06:07 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,613,208 times
Contact her doctor. You might have to have both sets of doctors work with each other. The best thing you can do as a daughter is be an advocate for your mother.

Old 03-28-2011, 06:18 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,969,287 times
Sorry, meant to say POA or Power of Attorney. Most medical Drs are not going to address the psych meds, hence my recommendation that you consult her shrink, but both Drs. must know of both conditions.

Old 03-29-2011, 03:51 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,183,887 times
It's ok to you all. My Mom has lived with since 2000 after 30 years of no meds. I go to EVERY DR. appt. and speak when she gets muddled. I call ANY dr, be it psych or oncologoist and they talk to me so I can relay for her benefit. I've never had a doctor not spell it out for me. They understand I am her advocate and I'll fight for her tooth and nail

Understandably larger towns might encounter different issues, but so far even our Dartmouth hospital tells me her stats if I call and I tell the doctors how to word it for Mom in terms she can understand to make a decision. Never a slight resistance and no "poa"

In all walks of life, I've found it better to seek out advice from persons living in "the moment" and ask how they dealt with it. I can do the doctor thing all day, but prefer a "hands on or been there/done that bit of advice". Her psychiatrist even seeks my input for how she is doing before writing the new prescription. I've known her my life and know every in/out. I was just seeking advice from anyone who might have "been there-done that"

Old 04-02-2011, 09:21 AM

1,787 posts, read 3,837,862 times
This is just a wild guess because I've got no experience with mental illness. I'm thinking that chemo/radiation will not be any more stressful than her surgery, probably less, depending on how well her body handles the drugs. Maybe since you are able to break it down for her when she is stressed it would be beneficial for you to know what she will experience ahead of time? I'll relate to you my experience and hope that the info is helpful.

Chemo. I had a port-a-cath installed (I'm hoping your Mom has too if she is going to do chemo.) The chemo room has an odd chemical smell which I associated with my chemo and added a bit to my very mild nausea. My port-a-cath is installed under my skin below my right clavicle. They access the port by first swabbing with idodine then poking a needle through the skin. I usually have absolutely no pain, although on occasion I have felt a tiny sharp jolt of pain, not even as bad as getting a shot. During the administration of the chemo I am able to go to the restroom, just have to drag my IV with me. I pass the time either chatting with other patients, or reading, or watching TV. Chemo is boring. Be sure to find out what the side effects are of the chemo, if nausea is one of them, be sure to get good nausea meds. Stay ahead of the nausea. Be sure her oncologist understands her mental illness and knows the drugs she is on. My biggest side effect was mild nausea and complete obliteration of my immune system, but not all chemo's have the same effects. I had breast cancer, so I'm not familiar with uterine cancer protocol.

Radiation. I'll assume she's had diagnostics such as a CT or MRI? Radiation is not nearly as bad. If she handled the CT or MRI OK, she will handle radiation OK too. The first visit took about 20 mins or so. They very carefully align my body then place felt tip pen marks on me after I'm perfectly aligned so they can use the marks throughout treatment. The first time I had cancer I had to have 33 radiation treatments so they tattoo'd very small marks. This time I'm only doing 15 radiation treatments so they just taped over the ink marks. I'll guess that if they are going to do radiation it will be to radiate the lymph nodes. She will have to lay partially nude to expose the radiation field. She will have to be able to lay still. I count. The first area they radiate takes 20 seconds. The second area takes 18 seconds. Then I'm done. The better she is at getting aligned (you get to where you just remember exactly how to place your body on the table) the less time the whole process takes. There is absolutely no pain during treatment. Depending on how many treatments she gets she may or may not have any skin issues. I had some burning and peeling the first time, if there is any chance she will have burning/peeling have your doc give you Silvadine - it's the best, settle for nothing less. It's generic so her insurance should cover it. The only other side effect I had was fatique, nothing severe.

Best of luck to you and your Mom.

Old 04-07-2011, 02:01 AM

16 posts, read 32,549 times
Its very sad about your mother, but you should talk to her doctor about this. All the best!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health