Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 10:54 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,557,613 times

Advertisements

A comment was made by an American Idol contestant regarding Michael Jackson's "Pepsi moment". The family wasn't happy and said it was "nothing to make light of and everyone should be focusing on who was responsible for Michael's death."

It made me wonder, who do you think is ultimately responsible for his addiction? Was it him? The people who provided him with the drugs? Both? Does his doctor bear more responsibility because of his obligations as a doctor than, say, a drug dealer? I think his doctor should be held responsible for his role, sure. But Michael had children. Aside from the obligation he had to himself, he had a responsibility to his kids to clean himself up.

I don't know what it's like to have an addiction. But my first thought is that the first step to it lies with the addict. Then I think of the circumstances. Did they seek it out on their own? Did a friend give them their first hit? Did someone help them fall off the wagon after being clean/sober? Do you think it should be considered on a case by case basis?

What are your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2011, 11:08 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,739,474 times
everyone is ultimately responsible for their own addiction. nowadays, all this promotion of the concept of "addiction" are causing more harm then good. it gives everyone an excuse to have a problem and just blame it on an "addiction" so all the sudden its no longer their fault.

i prefer to just take the mindset that there really is no such thing as addiction.

Old 04-01-2011, 06:36 PM

130 posts, read 902,999 times
There certainly is such thing as addiction.
To deny that truth is just silly.

Old 04-01-2011, 06:42 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,472,340 times
The addict's. I don't mean that in a harsh or blame way, but the only way an addict can make it through life without the addiction is if they work on their own feelings around the addiction, because there will always be people and situations there to tempt you. The ability to not feel tempted in the end has to lie with the former-addict, because while people in the beginning can help keep the addict from acquired the addictive substance/activity, sooner or later that substance/activity will become readily available and it will be up to the former-addict not to fall into the addiction again.

Old 04-02-2011, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tireeskye View Post
what is the definition of a true addiction? i dont get it. everything you put in your body is a choice that you make and have control of.

Old 04-02-2011, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
what is the definition of a true addiction? i dont get it. everything you put in your body is a choice that you make and have control of.
Well, just to be very simple about it and address the physical component of addiction, there is bio-chemistry involved.
When the cells are craving nicotine, for example, the choice to not smoke a cigarette is very different than the choice not to eat a banana.
Unless you're truly starving, you can rather easily decline to eat that banana but for someone addicted to nicotine, declining the cigarette is extremely difficult.
When there is intense craving (both physical and psychological) the ability to choose wisely is greatly altered.
A rational choice would be to "just say no" to whatever substance one is craving but addiction and the resulting behavior is not rational.
The combination of physiological and psychological dependency is complex.

Old 04-02-2011, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Well, just to be very simple about it and address the physical component of addiction, there is bio-chemistry involved.
When the cells are craving nicotine, for example, the choice to not smoke a cigarette is very different than the choice not to eat a banana.
Unless you're truly starving, you can rather easily decline to eat that banana but for someone addicted to nicotine, declining the cigarette is extremely difficult.
When there is intense craving (both physical and psychological) the ability to choose wisely is greatly altered.
A rational choice would be to "just say no" to whatever substance one is craving but addiction and the resulting behavior is not rational.
The combination of physiological and psychological dependency is complex.
we are expected to be able to make the right choices even if they are difficult. there is no benefit to giving people and excuse by labeling a difficult choice an "addiction."

Old 04-02-2011, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
we are expected to be able to make the right choices even if they are difficult. there is no benefit to giving people and excuse by labeling a difficult choice an "addiction."
You don't understand the nature of addiction and i think it's safe to say that you've never experienced addiction.
It's hellish.
Just for the heck of it, i challenge you to stop watching t.v. for a year (if you're a regular t.v. watcher) and if you're a coffee drinker, stop that for a year and if you eat sugar and meat, stop ingesting both of those for a year.
Have you been challenged to go without something that, if not addicted to, you're quite attached to?
T.V., sugar, coffee and meat are 4 things that are not healthy and they are 4 things that many, many people think they can't go without.
If you indulge in them, just stop (just say no) .... tonight ... and stop for an entire year.
And next time you have a strong sexual urge, refrain from engaging in sexual activity ... with yourself or with another.
Stop doing that for, let's say a month ('cause sex is healthy and i wouldn't want you to do anything detrimental to your health).
I have another challenge.
I see that in the past 2 years you've posted 5,121 times on cdf.
Some might say that you're addicted to the internet and city-data-forum and there are many detrimental effects that result from spending so much time "relating" on-line.
So give up city-data-forum .... for a whole year. Start tonight.

Old 04-02-2011, 09:03 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,705,492 times
Quote:

You are right. I'm guessing there are a combination of things one thing is genetics and learned behavior.

Old 04-03-2011, 08:07 AM

Quote:
You don't understand the nature of addiction and i think it's safe to say that you've never experienced addiction.
It's hellish.
Just for the heck of it, i challenge you to stop watching t.v. for a year (if you're a regular t.v. watcher) and if you're a coffee drinker, stop that for a year and if you eat sugar and meat, stop ingesting both of those for a year.
Have you been challenged to go without something that, if not addicted to, you're quite attached to?
T.V., sugar, coffee and meat are 4 things that are not healthy and they are 4 things that many, many people think they can't go without.
If you indulge in them, just stop (just say no) .... tonight ... and stop for an entire year.
And next time you have a strong sexual urge, refrain from engaging in sexual activity ... with yourself or with another.
Stop doing that for, let's say a month ('cause sex is healthy and i wouldn't want you to do anything detrimental to your health).
I have another challenge.
I see that in the past 2 years you've posted 5,121 times on cdf.
Some might say that you're addicted to the internet and city-data-forum and there are many detrimental effects that result from spending so much time "relating" on-line.
So give up city-data-forum .... for a whole year. Start tonight.
see, now you have people who will label everything we do as an "addiction." its people like tire that enable weak minded people to do bad things and then excuse themselves because its not their fault, its an addiction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health