Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 09:26 AM
HDL

3,216 posts, read 6,773,765 times

Advertisements

And thank you for coming back to this thread to share how much better you are doing now than last year ! I wish you much success and happiness this year as you continue on your journey !

~HDL~

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC9114 View Post
Update from a long time ago. I am doing a lot better and I want to thank everyone on this board for being supportive through some of the toughest, darkest times in my life.

Right now I am working (it is not the best job but it is a job and it is not too stressful) I am in the process of developing some new hobbies and rebuilding my life everyday. While some of you may post on here not knowing if you will help anyone, I want to let you know you do make a difference. Since none of you know me personally, it was probably tough to give good advice and in August/Sept I made a lot of mistakes feeling things out. I feel great and am starting to do great now though so I thank everyone who was supportive! I really do
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 12:07 PM

33 posts, read 43,821 times
Hey I just logged into city-data cause I had a question to ask on another forum. Just want to let everyone know I am doing well (some days better than others, life isn't perfect) but I am working, exercising and eating healthy with a few cool hobbies mixed in so can't complain too much given the plights of others in this country (and around the world)

Old 03-07-2012, 12:20 PM

88,224 posts, read 84,144,315 times
Quote:
I didnt know where to post this but I did know of this board and I decided to post it here....

I am 27 years old and just have very little going for me. When I finished high high school (with poor grades, just never cared enough to be a good student, although was fairly popular and had friends) Although nothing spectacular, the last year of school was probably 1 of the best ive had. I went to community college for 2 years and went through the motions, then transferred to a local commuter school and went through the motions more. Somehow eeking out a degree in a fairly useless field because I didnt want to put the effort in to get anything more. I did work through college at an easy menial job (always settling) and managed to saveup some money. After college, I moved West (no idea why, just searching for a better life I suppose) and was just depressed, never really found work there and just sort of wasted 15 months out there, then moved home and ive now been living home for 2 years just doing nothing. At various times, ive tried to get stuff going (going back to school, which I never gotoff the ground, getting a job....

When I was 19 and in my 2nd semester in college I started to get bored with partying, hanging out with friends and just did my own thing. Got depressed, would just sit in my room, drink soda and waste time on the internet. My mother owned a very stressful and ultiamtely unsuccessful business with her boyfriend at this time and their negativity and constant bitterness towards life and each other definitely weighed on me. She was also laid off from her regular day job during this time, making things even more stressful around the house. Over the next few years I just halfass worked/went to school while furthering my isolation and depression. I guess I figured everything was OK because on paper I wasnt really doing anything wrong.

That is the cliff notes to my story, other notable areas include that I tried to cure my depression by exercising and this pretty much worked for a few months (definitely felt like I was getting better) until I hurt my knee about 15 months ago (squatting, then hiking) and since have mostly been sidelined. Went to PT 2 different 4 week sessions and had an MRI, nothing really worked too well. So in 2 months of exercise I managed to hurt my knees for life I guess, this really bothered me as I always wanted to be physically fit and in good shape and was finally achieving that goal.

Its amazing to me to think that in 2 months it will be 9 years since I finished high school and my life has just continued to decay more and more until I got to this point.

I finally started seeing a therapist about a month ago and to be honest it hasnt really helped too much.

*Sleep schedule had been very erratic since I was 13-14 or so (probably around the same time I discovered the internet)*
Great to read your update!

Old 03-07-2012, 09:22 PM

22,619 posts, read 24,436,315 times
Maybe try those pills.....those pills that are supposed to make your brain feel better???

Old 03-08-2012, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Maybe try those pills.....those pills that are supposed to make your brain feel better???
I don't follow

Old 03-08-2012, 07:58 PM

22,619 posts, read 24,436,315 times
Quote:
I don't follow
Those Doctor-type-pills that help your brain-tissues work better.

Old 03-09-2012, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Those Doctor-type-pills that help your brain-tissues work better.
Did you even read the thread or are you lost?

Old 03-09-2012, 01:12 PM

93 posts, read 211,697 times
Quote:
Did you even read the thread or are you lost?
lol!

I am so glad you are doing better!

Old 03-15-2012, 11:21 PM

19,148 posts, read 16,549,276 times
Yeah, very positive thread. With the exception of the troll, all the advice was great and it's good to see Dave doing better. Way to go, Dave!!

Old 03-16-2012, 08:48 AM

15 posts, read 20,697 times
Dave

I was just reading through this thread and this is a good story. I think you should start a new thread titled "My inspiring story." And I am dead serious. It might be inspirational to others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health