Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2011, 10:30 PM

803 posts, read 1,260,114 times

Advertisements

So I did not grow up with a stable life. I grew up with a shaky life, didn't have many opportunities that a lot of kids have. I learned English at the age of 11 (fluently that is) because my family continuously moved from country to country due to their research job.

When we did settle down, my parents settled down in a county where the schools were atrocious. Shootings, gang violence, and someone getting killed over a pair of shoes were common problems. The county had three good schools, 1 was private, 1 was an Arts school which my parents were heavily against me attending (and I ended up not attending), and another was a sciences school which really wasn't all that great.

The school I ended up going to did not have any sports at all, little to no extra curricular activities, was not in any way relevant to my interests, was extremely torn down, the average SAT score was 100 points below the national average, and mostly the kids who went anywhere for a top school in my county were private school kids.

I came into high school with little to no friends, most kids knew each other and when I would try to interact with them I would get shot down. Getting a high GPA was nearly impossible as there was excessive grade deflation (valedictorian graduated with a 3.7). My home life was a living mess, I could not get access to a library and my house was too loud and unstable for me to study in, parents could have cared less.

I graduated high school 2 years ago. I have been accepted into some decent schools as a transfer student but I still feel a minor depression. I feel that if I would have been in a better area I would have been a better student and done better in high school and had the opportunity to attend a Harvard or a Yale or had a better college admissions process.

I just feel that a good part of my life went missing. I really feel I belong at a top university but my lack of opportunities in life will keep me out. How can I get over this depression?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2011, 05:20 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,440,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgamibi View Post
So I did not grow up with a stable life. I grew up with a shaky life, didn't have many opportunities that a lot of kids have. I learned English at the age of 11 (fluently that is) because my family continuously moved from country to country due to their research job.

When we did settle down, my parents settled down in a county where the schools were atrocious. Shootings, gang violence, and someone getting killed over a pair of shoes were common problems. The county had three good schools, 1 was private, 1 was an Arts school which my parents were heavily against me attending (and I ended up not attending), and another was a sciences school which really wasn't all that great.

The school I ended up going to did not have any sports at all, little to no extra curricular activities, was not in any way relevant to my interests, was extremely torn down, the average SAT score was 100 points below the national average, and mostly the kids who went anywhere for a top school in my county were private school kids.

I came into high school with little to no friends, most kids knew each other and when I would try to interact with them I would get shot down. Getting a high GPA was nearly impossible as there was excessive grade deflation (valedictorian graduated with a 3.7). My home life was a living mess, I could not get access to a library and my house was too loud and unstable for me to study in, parents could have cared less.

I graduated high school 2 years ago. I have been accepted into some decent schools as a transfer student but I still feel a minor depression. I feel that if I would have been in a better area I would have been a better student and done better in high school and had the opportunity to attend a Harvard or a Yale or had a better college admissions process.

I just feel that a good part of my life went missing. I really feel I belong at a top university but my lack of opportunities in life will keep me out. How can I get over this depression?
As my grandmother used to say, "You cannot make up for the sins of the past. All you can do is start from today and do it right from here on out."

You can't change what was. You control what is to come. Make the best of it and quit dwelling on the past.

Old 04-24-2011, 06:40 PM

1,206 posts, read 2,921,925 times
if you can be transfered to a decent school thats good already. Many people dont even get into a decent college or get the chance to go. Since when do u have to go to an ivy league to have a successful career. Its not true. Go to the best school you can, and study hard in the field u are GOOD at AND like. and u willl be fine. Make sure you try to get to know a professor or two who can kind of be your mentor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health