Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 03:18 PM

1 posts, read 636 times

Advertisements

I have been out of work for over a year now. At the same time I lost my job I lost my apartment and went to a homeless shelter. I managed to get into transitional housing, but not having a job has brought on depresseion, which I am prone too anyway. Recently I got a job through a temp agency doing call center work for a large hotel chain. But I had not done it before and I never made it out of training school..and I loved that job. I was let go yesterday and today I am back to feeling absolutely depressed out of my mind. I am even thinking of running back to England, where I come from, but I have American born children and a new grandbaby. Gosh, I feel like such a failure and am at my wits end! Also have really bad carpel tunnel and no insurance to get it fixed and it bloody hurts...oh what to do!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2012, 04:47 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,975,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
Todd, you give great advice, thank you. I'm sorry you're having such a bad year. 2009 was the worst year of my life, but it hasn't gotten noticeably better since. I'm just tired of the constant struggle. Its getting the best of me. I'll bet I've aged 10 years in the last 2. I'm not eligible for unemployment because I was unemployed for 2 straight years.

I briefly thought about teaching overseas, but have no clue how to get into that. I'm trying to get some info from a coach on how to make a move overseas for a job in my field. Spain would be my dream location. I think people are more down to earth over there and I would love to find a Spanish woman to settle down with and have a family before I'm too old. But you're right, I do need a drastic change, only this time in a positive way. I've had too many negative drastic changes. I mean, in the last 5 years, I've lost my Father, a pet, 4 jobs, and a marriage. Its too much to handle.
Spain's unemployment rate is 24% right now. I would forget about Spain. I lived in Spain, I love Spain, but with a 24% unemployment rate I know who the jobs will go to.

HOWEVER, I would NOT forget about Asia.

Before you do anything though (and I apologize for not reading this entire thread), I'd get a handle on what is going on. If it's depression, I think it's time for medication and therapy and maybe even more. I speak especially to your job situation.

I've lost my father and I'm divorced. I survived both. But four jobs in five years (unless you had bad luck and were laid off) merits further exploration. If you'd care to share. It could be the result of depression in which case my advice would be to address that before anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health