Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 08:09 PM

5,238 posts, read 7,961,591 times

Advertisements

I've read Magnolia Bark is more effective than anti-anxiety meds. I'm going to try it, as I have terrible anxiety problems. Or you might try Passion Flower it used for anxiety and without the side effects of meds. It works to some degree for me, but often its not enough. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2011, 10:19 PM

1,265 posts, read 3,452,652 times
Benzodiazepines such as Xanax and Ativan do work well, but I would suggest talking with a therapist, to help treat the source of the anxiety. The medication can help you cope with the problem, but it probably will not cure it. Many individuals use medication to treat the symptoms until they are able to cure the problem via. therapy.

Old 06-06-2011, 10:20 PM

1,457 posts, read 2,022,542 times
music and exercise..

Old 06-09-2011, 11:46 AM

859 posts, read 2,821,064 times
I started having panic attacks several yrs back and it took a while before I understood what was happening. Once I understood it I was able to talk myself out of them most of the time. It's scary as mine felt like i was having a heart attack. Chest hurt, couldn't breath etc.

I currently have a prescription for Lorazepam and it works almost immediately. If the attack is severe I can always crush one up in warm water and it's in my system within just a few seconds. If I were you I'd try to talk myself out of these attacks when they first begin. I know it doesn't always work but for me I only need a pill about 10% of the time.

As for natural remedies. I've tried a few and they were nothing more than a waste of time and money.

Old 06-09-2011, 11:56 AM

3,573 posts, read 6,461,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I would certainly try the natural route before I would put poison into my body. There are a wealth of holistic treatments out there that are highly effective (even medical science says so). Kava Kava, St. John's Wort, Vitamin B therapy, the list goes on and on. Very minimal side effects, if any.

20yrsinBranson
I'm interested in the vitamin B therapy. Do you have any info on that?

Old 06-09-2011, 12:20 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,623,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *~Kim~* View Post
Is anyone on (or been on in the past) a daily med for anxiety/depression?

My panic attacks are getting worse and I just feel constantly aggravated and upset. I do have Xanax for the panic attacks, but it takes almost an hour to kick in, so I still have to pretty much deal with the attacks. I'm seeing a therapist and she says I should see my dr again b/c I probably have a panic disorder and not just anxiety We will see if therapy helps, but if not I may have to go on a daily med. I am terrified. I am worried about the side effects and I am also worried that I will spend forever going on and off of different meds, trying to find the right one.

Any experience with this?? TIA!
As much as I hate to recommend a med to anyone I will tell you that very low dose 20>30mg Paxil helped me enormously.

I suffer from PTSD from combat years ago that gives me panic attacks without warning. The doctor tried me on Paxil (generic is available cheaply) low dose and lucked out getting the dose just right the first time.

Be aware that going on Paxil is a one way trip so try other methods first to ease your concern.

Old 06-09-2011, 12:39 PM

2,185 posts, read 4,995,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenchili View Post
I prefer Ativan over Xanax. Also,an SSRI like Paxil,Prozac would probably help the anxiety also.

Deb
I was prescribed paxil when I was sick with lyme disease because I was scared and anxious. That is some gooood stuff! I always felt like I just had two margaritas. I only took it for a year, every now and then I get random BP spikes and I am given a push of Ativan.

Old 06-09-2011, 02:01 PM

1,318 posts, read 5,261,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
As much as I hate to recommend a med to anyone I will tell you that very low dose 20>30mg Paxil helped me enormously.

I suffer from PTSD from combat years ago that gives me panic attacks without warning. The doctor tried me on Paxil (generic is available cheaply) low dose and lucked out getting the dose just right the first time.

Be aware that going on Paxil is a one way trip so try other methods first to ease your concern.
why is it a one way trip? Im weaning off quite well. And if it was,who cares?,its about quality of life to me anyway. Stress and anxiety is worse on
the body than meds me thinks.

Greenchili

Old 06-09-2011, 02:26 PM

2,185 posts, read 4,995,195 times
Paxil is great, but does cause weight gain. I beleive it's one of the worst ones for that. But I would take it again over the others if I needed something.

Old 06-16-2011, 02:34 PM

5,529 posts, read 6,441,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DondeDemonios View Post
xanax is quick acting and just as quick to leave your bloodstream. ask your doctor about taking ativan. it is slower to build up, but sustains for longer.
I take generic ativan, which is lorazipam. I didn't want a daily med, I only take this when I feel the need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health