Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2011, 06:45 AM

4,275 posts, read 7,631,148 times

Advertisements

OK, I have no idea where to start. I am 37 years old. I have a job that I have been working at for ten years that I never really liked, but it pays the bills. Everyone is on edge about losing their jobs because of the merger we had here in the past couple of years. We now have mandatory OT (10 hrs a week) because things have gotten so backed up it has been making people tired and crazy.

I had recently moved to a new a small apartment nearby. I like it a lot near parks, stores, public transportation (I don’t drive), entertainment, restaurants, etc. This to me is a huge plus because I like to get out and explore more.

Anyway, I feel like I missed the boat on many things that I should have done when I was younger (travelling, socializing, volunteering, enjoying life, etc.) I am approaching 40 and I still want to be able to do things more, but it feels like I am being tied down by my job. I also feel like I could have done things I like to do with friends (or a potential someone) in my 20s and can’t now because everyone is busy with their families.

Does anyone else feel the same? Am I too old to enjoy life? Am I too old to think about finding a new job? Am I just suffering from burn out or a midlife crisis? I don’t feel depressed, just confused.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2011, 02:44 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,425,831 times
I know what it's like to be so tired from work you don't feel up to doing things but you really do need to make yourself get out and explore your new neighborhood, may be volunteer as you said (many volunteer opportunities may only require an hour or two of your time a week or even a month) check your Sunday paper for events going on that you'd feel comfortable attending alone. You'll meet people with similar interests who aren't totally wrapped up with family. Otherwise you'll find yourself at 57 saying, wow I wasted the last 20 years! I felt so old at 37 and I was young, I could have done lots of things! It's far from being too late. Maybe you can't get out as much as you'd like, but do a little and you won't regret it.

Old 05-12-2011, 06:00 AM

31 posts, read 158,162 times
raubre,

I completely agree with subject2change. You are still very young and you can make the changes you want to make in your life, which includes changing your job.

I think we have many examples, one of them being that of Col.Saunders who was broke at 65 and started KFC and made such a huge success out of it!!!

So i would ask you to do a bit of soul searching, which job would excite you or fascinates you. Once you find the answer, take evening classes for that all the while keeping your current job and then make the switch when time comes.

Old 05-12-2011, 01:20 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,782,217 times
You're still a young man with plenty of time to travel and experience the things you enjoy most. Why not plan a few small trips or events on your next three day weekend? Whether you do it alone or with friends, just get out there and so something. It doesn't have to be a trip to Paris or some African Safari, you can go on local hikes, road trips, a cruise, camping, or whatever it is you enjoy. Squeeze it in where you can.

Old 05-12-2011, 05:06 PM

4,275 posts, read 7,631,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
You're still a young man with plenty of time to travel and experience the things you enjoy most. Why not plan a few small trips or events on your next three day weekend? Whether you do it alone or with friends, just get out there and so something. It doesn't have to be a trip to Paris or some African Safari, you can go on local hikes, road trips, a cruise, camping, or whatever it is you enjoy. Squeeze it in where you can.
I will be going to see a concert on Memorial Day weekend (love my shows, lol)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health