Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2011, 11:23 AM

3,501 posts, read 6,457,151 times

Advertisements

I tried Lexapro a few years ago and it caused me to wake up too early, and made me feel tense. So I stopped after 4 days. Perhaps I should have stuck it out. I was only having mild anxiety problems since I'm a nervous person in general.

I started Prozac a week ago because I'm lonely and unemployed. Again I can't sleep in the morning as much as before and I have to take more Ambien than usual.

My life is very dull and empty and I can't find work, or make any new friends. And I think that if this is the cause of my depression, meds won't help. But I will wait and see.

Do you think that after two weeks or so, the Prozac will not affect my sleep any more? Is that what usually happens?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2011, 12:11 PM

1,317 posts, read 5,260,088 times
It usually takes longer than 2 weeks for an AD to fully work,more like months or several weeks. And why do you want to sleep in the morning,you mean sleep in? what time do you go to bed?
Just hang in there,and give the Prozac a little more time. And in the mean time try to stay busy somehow!

Greenchili

Old 05-13-2011, 03:25 PM

2,455 posts, read 6,636,272 times
You are not going to find relief or answers in a pill. You need to make changes in your life so that you feel better about yourself. I am not speaking of clinical depression, but of a low state of mind because you don't like the way your life is at the present time. You are your own creator, and you have the power to change anything and everything in your life, if you would just be quiet with yourself and ask yourself "How do I change the things I wish to change in my life?" Only you has those answers, no one else, and for heaven's sake, a pill does not!

Please do not fall into the trap of this present day that a pill will fix your problems. It will not. It will only worsen your problems.

How about starting with exercise? How about walking? Focus your energy into something that will relieve your anxiety and low state of mind. With exercise comes endorphins which will lift your spirits immediately and help you think clearer as to how to change your life.

How about learning how to eat better? Educate yourself. Learn about you and what you need in your life to fulfill you. Nothing is attained without achievement towards a goal, and again, answers are not going to come, change is not going to come, in the form of a pill. You have to work at changing your life and I for one encourage you to do it. You have the answers within yourself. You just have to find them.

Old 05-13-2011, 07:08 PM

I've been unemployed for 2 years and have few friends and I've run out of ideas of how to fill all the time. I really go crazy from the repetition. I actually moved 2 years ago and I thought I would never be bored again, but I am.

I'm inclined to stop taking the pill - I felt really woozy all day today, which is unusual.

Old 05-14-2011, 07:23 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,659,665 times
You've upped your ambien dosage - did you coordinate this change with your doctor, or did you just decide to take more?

What time of day are you taking your prozac? How many hours are you sleeping, that you're complaining about not getting enough? What times are you going to bed at night, what time are you waking up in the morning? What physical activities are you engaging in during waking hours? What kinds of foods are you eating? Are you ingesting anything containing caffeine, after 2 or 3 in the afternoon? Are you eating within an hour of bedtime?

You're not presenting nearly enough information for anyone to form an intelligent opinion on your situation.

Ask _yourself_ all those questions I just asked you. You don't need to answer me here on the forum. Here's the "right" answers:

What time of day are you taking your prozac? First thing in the morning.
How many hours are you sleeping, that you're complaining about not getting enough? Less than 6-7 nightly.
What times are you going to bed at night? 10-11PM
What time are you waking up in the morning? 6-8AM
What physical activities are you engaging in during waking hours? 1/2 hour or more brisk walking, bending, twisting, every single day. Minimum.
What kinds of foods are you eating? Mostly healthy foods, not too much fat, not too much carbs, or salt. Generous raw veggies, lean meats. Few overly processed foods, no more than 1-2 visits to the fast food joint per week.
Are you ingesting anything containing caffeine, after 2 or 3 in the afternoon? No.
Are you eating within an hour of bedtime? No.

Don't rely on the meds to take care of you on your behalf. You MUST be pro-active to take care of your body -and- your mind. But if your body is suffering, your mind will suffer too.

Old 05-14-2011, 11:42 AM

Why are you supposed to take Prozac first thing in the morning?
My doctor and the written instructions just said once per day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health