Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2011, 08:43 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,298,163 times

Advertisements

What do you do to combat the blues so you can get back on track?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2011, 02:18 PM

2,469 posts, read 3,119,446 times
Sometimes I have a pity party & throw a fit or cry... sometimes it helps, sometimes it just makes things seem more blue.
I think exercise helps a lot... putting on some great tunes & dancing around changes my mood - or taking a jog or walk.
Also, writing about it in my journal helps a lot.
Writing about the following in order, seems to help me learn & get over negativity...

1. Anger
2. Fear
3. Regret
4. Sadness
5. Understanding
6. Forgiveness
7. Appreciation
8. Hope/Love

Oerdin, are you feeling down, or just wondering about this?
Either way, I hope the best for you!

Old 05-16-2011, 02:24 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,072,842 times
Indulging in some of my favorite music, films, exercise-be it a sport or a long walk and of course seeing friends/family. Always get out there and live. If you are down and are not in the mood to leave your house..always remember not to isolate yourself. NOTHING good gets accomplished by holing up. No amtter what the situation..the mind and body will need a break to cope and keep stress related illness away. Another-words..several hours of freeing the mind will help you gain more footing, and clarity. We are not built to withstand stress EVERY moment of everyday.

Brooklyn boy approved!

Old 05-16-2011, 03:21 PM

20,549 posts, read 30,312,178 times
Go for a walk.
Play with my dog.
Play in my garden.
Put some fun music on and dance like a fool

Have a talk with myself. My life is so good in comparison to so many others that I need to smack myself upside the head when I feel down. I really have no right to. Just remember all the "good" in your life and about yourself. We all have good things to be happy about.

I hope that helps

Old 05-16-2011, 08:35 PM

88,224 posts, read 84,127,726 times
Walking/jogging does help. It's hard to get started, but once you are moving, it doesn't take long to feel a little better mentally.

Old 05-19-2011, 09:06 PM

13,513 posts, read 19,218,889 times
sit outside with molly and alice and know it won't be long before patches, kitten, tippy, smoky, and clover come sit with us too!

Old 05-19-2011, 10:58 PM

23,130 posts, read 28,863,992 times
Check out a book on Chromotherapy, the powers/healing properties of color.
Adding some much-needed, select color to my residence has been a great help to me. My downstairs bathroom is all orange, even the tile, my upstairs bathroom is two shades of pink, my living room two shades of yellow. Even my garage is multi-colored with 12 different colors.

I have a leash-trained ferret, that seems to always lift my spirits, walking him around the neighborhood at nite.

Old 05-20-2011, 03:08 PM

2,158 posts, read 1,989,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
I think everyone has "the blues" from time to time. I generally find something around the house with which to occupy myself. I'll fix something here or tidy something up there. Sometimes I grab a good book and immerse myself in that for awhile. Nothing will remove you from your surroundings better than reading.

Old 05-23-2011, 08:33 PM

344 posts, read 991,625 times
I'm not sure how long you've had the blues - days, weeks, months. For a short time, I allow myself to feel blue and do nothing. If I don't feel energized after resting, then I talk myself into just doing one small thing. It can feel like an effort to do anything. Taking one small step, then one small action can lead to feeling better because it will give you a sense of accomplishment.

I'm sorry that you're not feeling well. Hopefully, someone's suggestion will help you.

Old 05-23-2011, 09:21 PM

14,496 posts, read 26,536,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
take my shar-pei for a walk.

read a novel

paint/creative (not house)

Keep reality tv and phone off-
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health