Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 08:43 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times

Advertisements

I just googled dsg in my area....it was at a church but not church-sponsored, a gal just started one on her own, as she had been helped by a dsg in the past

.....there are some that are church-sponsored but they do focus on that aspect....how faith can help you through...etc.

I am not a joiner so first time it was hard to go but got much better...still close w/2 of them and keep in touch w/a third.

Good luck~

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
Hm- eating is like not really anything that makes me feel better. not even chocolate, lol....GBH-where did you find that support group? I hadnt thought of it but its prolly better than Al-anon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2011, 08:59 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,585,697 times
yes. I thank God for my dogs. They need me

Old 06-09-2011, 12:44 PM

got an appt for support gp next week. Thanks to our healthcare system in Amerika I cant afford group therapy, even just 1x per month. No insurance covers it even tho I have a HMO. guess they dont care if some1 jumps off the roof. Its less for them to insure.

Old 06-09-2011, 12:53 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times
Support groups ARE group therapy!

My other suggestion: complete physical by your MD, consideration of temporary anti-depressant therapy. ALL 5 of my friends (me too) from the dsg used these remarkable meds to aid in the slow but sure recovery.

gbh

Quote:
got an appt for support gp next week. Thanks to our healthcare system in Amerika I cant afford group therapy, even just 1x per month. No insurance covers it even tho I have a HMO. guess they dont care if some1 jumps off the roof. Its less for them to insure.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:15 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,477,939 times
Quote:
time for re-making a life agin...divorce, sellling a house....so sick of it....

work during day but my mind is drained. I am sick of everything. So sick and tired. Sick of trying in general.

I hate the economy, I have to deal w. a huge house and fixing it etc. had a friend helping but I really cant take much more.

Just needed to vent a bit- any1 else going thru similar?
i can certainly relate.

home repairs--each and every day--just finished getting 'shafted' on the repair of the front porch--he had done a lot of complicated things previously and I think he was sick of older houses--I know I am.

the economy sucks and blows huge chunks

sick and tired of 'Starting Over'--IIRC, that was a stupid movie starring Burt Reynolds--the Good Ol Boy of all Good Ol Boys--nothing very appealing about that sort of guy.

I did manage to order takeout tonight. I could and should have walked down to pick it up. I noticed the deck is open and I believe I will just meander down there and have a frosty mug very soon. A little 'Italian' joint--neighborhood gathering place. lol--give me a honky tonk place any day.

all I know is when you are 'p@ssed as H'--soldier on--and never forget the effort it took. lol

'As God is my witness, I'll never be hungry again'. --Scarlett O'Hara

--looking at my curtains--maybe I could whip up a dress and go and find Rhett--

Scarlett was a good 'B'--I try to follow in her footsteps.

That seems to be what it takes---get in touch with your inner 'B'--I am certainly am in touch with mine. She can get me moving.

Men--complete babies--wah, wah, wah.

that is not what i like

'If you have to be told--then you aren't ready for me'

I think a trip to Trader Joe's is on my list for tomorrow. '2 Buck Chuck'--pretty good. And I enjoy visiting that part of town--Piedmont Park---the best part of Atlanta, GA.

come on down or over--I have lived here all my life and know the 'best kept secrets'--hehehehe

Old 06-10-2011, 10:58 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,698,048 times
Quote:
thanks. Just dont post abt vitamins and exercise, lol I apprec. that you understand. I at least listen2 therapist in that they say turn off all world news...that surely makes a person suicidal....tv used to be a good diversion....now its even more horrible and depressing than real life....
FWIW, I never watch the news or any reality TV. Talk about depressing.... I listen to NPR and read what I want online. Sometimes I think I'm being irresponsible, but it's not like I'm going to make a difference in what's going on in Libya.

Also, do you have to move right now when it seems so overwhelming? Could you get a roommate or two for company and save/use their rent money to move in a year or so?

Churches often have divorce support groups. Even if you're not church-oriented you'd be talking to people going through similar things.

And while it's clear you don't want to hear about vitamins and exercise, food and exercise do affect your mood. If you can get yourself out the door for a 20-minute walk and try to eat nutritious meals, you'll probably feel a bit better.

Good luck to you.

Old 06-10-2011, 11:18 AM

On a positive side I have learned 2 things

1. never buy a house in this market

2. Take at least 3 years to know the person before actually deciding to get married.

It will be a relief to not have to maintain a 3000 s.f. house. what a drain.

Old 06-10-2011, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
FWIW, I never watch the news or any reality TV. Talk about depressing.... I listen to NPR and read what I want online. Sometimes I think I'm being irresponsible, but it's not like I'm going to make a difference in what's going on in Libya.

Also, do you have to move right now when it seems so overwhelming? Could you get a roommate or two for company and save/use their rent money to move in a year or so?

Churches often have divorce support groups. Even if you're not church-oriented you'd be talking to people going through similar things.

And while it's clear you don't want to hear about vitamins and exercise, food and exercise do affect your mood. If you can get yourself out the door for a 20-minute walk and try to eat nutritious meals, you'll probably feel a bit better.

Good luck to you.
I am fine physically thats the contradiction, lol. The happy social person at work.

craigslist is quite an opener re: how lousy the real estate market is. Three couples, transferred to this area, cant sell their house or condo in S.C. one guy couldnt believe he'd have to take a 30k loss. lol....I know people who have taken 100k loss.

Then the lady yesterday who wanted to rent talked abt her grandbabies for 25 minutes. Im not cut out to be a landldord.

for real the economy isnt helping, and thanx Marlow, I do keep the world news off...

Old 06-10-2011, 02:32 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,477,939 times
Quote:
On a positive side I have learned 2 things

1. never buy a house in this market

2. Take at least 3 years to know the person before actually deciding to get married.

It will be a relief to not have to maintain a 3000 s.f. house. what a drain.
I'm certain my neighbor would agree. He is a realtor--some sort of wizard--he knows how to deal with the challenges pretty well. It must be something.

As for marriage--you roll the dice and take your chances almost anyway you try to do it. 'Just Beat It'---good song.

A woman I know from the 'dog park' in my neighborhood really had some rough experiences with her house. A massage therapist--works for herself. I don't know the details but she 'found someone' and they are apparently dealing with the challenges together. Seems to be working.

She has to support 2 rhodesian ridgebacks---one is a 'puppy'--about 5 months old and the size of a lab. lol

Life is certainly 'insane'--that is all I know.

Fingers crossed that the owners of a little chihauhau will start keeping him out of the street. It is conceivable that I will one day hit him---I have stopped several times to let them know he is walking in the street and cars can't see him. My previous dog was killed in front of my house--dashed away from me as we started to walk. I can't live through another tragic dog experience--I know that.

Fortunately, Josh, my lhasa--is a bit more 'trained'--he would dash off if he felt like it--I have no doubt. Always something.

Old 06-10-2011, 07:47 PM

Just "Beat It"...lol post a link to that song so I can email it to the ex....

I want to read Joseph Heller "catch-22"- a sane man in an insane society seems insane...

well I will shop and suntan tomorrow....at least I dont have to pretend to be happy at the office...TAH keep posting...you make me and the dogs help too...check out my dog thread they are chinese shar-pei....so cute
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health