Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2011, 01:47 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,755,796 times

Advertisements

So my older autistic brother is still living at home and he is 28. My parents say they are looking for a home for him. Nothing has showed. He has caused my parents to argue more, them to start drinking again, and in general stress them out and neglect me.

My brother can be violent, is very demanding, has tried running away, and is a teaser.

I don't know if I should try to do something. Or let my parents handle the situation.

Any suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2011, 04:07 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Don't put yourself into the position of having to reinvent the wheel... or allow them to believe that your family circumstances are really that different from the THOUSAND's who have come before. Get good professional help.

Here's one terrific group:
L'Arche USA | Relationship – Transformation – Sign

Old 06-10-2011, 04:20 PM

They are getting old and know they can't keep helping him. He refuses to be independent or go in a day program.

My parents have lives and responsibilities. They can not and if they do give extra to him it hurts. He gets a certain amount of their energy and any more is too much.

Old 06-10-2011, 05:26 PM

25,940 posts, read 22,089,429 times
We have a son who is 24 years old with Down syndrome and I can identify with your situation there. I am wondering if you are still living at home, much younger? I do not know what state you are in either but all states have services and they vary. There is nothing that you can do that I can think of as your brother is their responsibility until they decide it is time. There should be a case manager that can offer assistance on finding a group home and the transitioning to that lifestyle. It is possible that the parents are the ones that are reluctant to let your brother go too. You could talk to the case manager yourself but the decision is up to your parents. We just notified of the possibility that after waiting 5 years that our son's residential housing may be approved soon. Although I am worn out from caring for him and fed up with his selfishness and asking for assistance in diagnosing additional problems besides the Down syndrome, I know the transition may be rough as he says he wants to go but I can see him changing his mind - he cannot change his mind because I am too old and tired to do this. Your parents are in a difficult situation but their are people who can help.

Old 06-10-2011, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
We have a son who is 24 years old with Down syndrome and I can identify with your situation there. I am wondering if you are still living at home, much younger? I do not know what state you are in either but all states have services and they vary. There is nothing that you can do that I can think of as your brother is their responsibility until they decide it is time. There should be a case manager that can offer assistance on finding a group home and the transitioning to that lifestyle. It is possible that the parents are the ones that are reluctant to let your brother go too. You could talk to the case manager yourself but the decision is up to your parents. We just notified of the possibility that after waiting 5 years that our son's residential housing may be approved soon. Although I am worn out from caring for him and fed up with his selfishness and asking for assistance in diagnosing additional problems besides the Down syndrome, I know the transition may be rough as he says he wants to go but I can see him changing his mind - he cannot change his mind because I am too old and tired to do this. Your parents are in a difficult situation but their are people who can help.
Sounds like our situation. And i was thinking of talking to his case manager.

Old 06-10-2011, 06:51 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Q: do CD readers just not follow up when links are offered?

This isn't about you OP (well, not only) just that in general it seems that all sorts of continuing statements and material will be typed out and almost endlessly as threads expand that is covered far better or at least more objectively in those 3rd party links. It's an odd thing.

Old 06-11-2011, 12:17 PM

25,940 posts, read 22,089,429 times
You can also ask this question in "Parenting" - special needs section.

Old 06-14-2011, 12:32 AM

He now moved out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health