Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 04:52 PM

360 posts, read 1,016,886 times

Advertisements

You sound clinically depressed. Do you still have health insurance? If not, is there a clinic, religious organization, support group etc nearby where you can go and at least talk to someone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2011, 06:02 PM

29,667 posts, read 24,706,439 times
I can understand your disposition. To not work is to feel useless for some people, and I am one of those. If I wasn't working, I would feel like a waste. I think you should channel some of those feelings into something positive. Search around, make it your job to find any work available. Leave home if you have to! If your parents want you to succeed, they may be able to help.

I hopped on a train for my last job interview, and I wouldn't have got the job unless I took the chance. We got it rough these days, and so we must work harder than ever to simply find work.

Old 06-28-2011, 11:13 AM

1,361 posts, read 3,704,489 times
I'm in the same shoes as you. I graduated college a year and a half ago with a degree in a field that has been pretty much annihilated by the economic downturn. When I first started going to school, studying advertising and graphic design was a good field to be in because everybody was buying anything and everything that was being advertised on credit like there was no tomorrow. With the credit crunch, massive lay-offs, normalization of job insecurity and rising cost of living, luxury items no longer need to be advertised because the majority of the American public has scaled back and stop buying everything advertised. I've been to several job interviews in the past year with no offers. At every turn, someone with more experience than me or better connections got the job. I have been unemployed for a year. This is the longest I've ever been unemployed in my life. I've been working since I was a teenager in high school and I'm 28 with an Associates and a Bachelors degree. The last job I worked at I only lasted a few days because no one at the job spoke any English, including the supervisors and the pay was only a hair above minimum wage in dirty working conditions in a freezer in a produce warehouse.

I, too, wonder what I am going to do next. A college degree, in itself, means little these days. Companies want experts with years of experience. I have been volunteering designing websites for companies for free but I cannot afford to volunteer forever. It is frustrating that most jobs demand that you send a resume via email, including low-paying positions. This is how our job applications get lost in the shuffle. Some estimates say that there are over 40 applicants for every job opening.

A lot of my friends are doing better than me as well. Luckily for me, my friends are not shallow and stand by me even though I am broke. I hung out of with one of my buddies last night and he bought me a beer. He didn't have to do that. Friendships shouldn't revolve around money or anything relating to it. What binds me with my handful of friends is our history and shared common interests.

As far as dating goes, I know where you're coming from. I've let a lot of opportunities with women pass me by because I felt inadequate to make a move because of my current employment mess. But for a female, being broke and unemployed means less than it would for a grown man. Even then, who knows. That guy you like that is giving you nonverbal cues at the local bar might be able to get you a job. That is what networking is all about afterall. Anybody who looks down on you for something temporary and superficial like unemployment is the real loser.

Old 06-28-2011, 03:28 PM

856 posts, read 2,007,050 times
Any chance you can clean the houses of your friends for funds? How about babysit their children or their families' children. On that note if you feel a burden to your family...what can you do to help around the house? Keeping things clean, gardening or mowing the lawn, maybe cook the family meals...it can go a long way toward keeping your family happy and giving you something to get up for every day. If you can get out and go to a park or a library...just get out of the house and be around other people who are also doing things by themselves...it'll make you feel like you're not the only person without a place to go.

Old 06-29-2011, 12:02 PM

574 posts, read 1,634,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redroses777 View Post
Friends around me all have jobs, nice apartments, and bought newer cars. Me, I am struggling. I live with parents out of suitcases and boxes, struggle to keep my old car running, and I am just "existing" because I have no reason to be here. I don't have a job. I am not helping anyone.

I feel like friends don't want to talk to me because our lives are so different. I can forget about dating. Most guys don't want anything to do with an unemployed person no matter what they look like. Family just pressures me and threatens to kick me out.

I just want someone who cares. Someone who can help, a shoulder to cry on. It seems like the minute you become unemployed, friends, boyfriends, and even family run from you. Anyone else feel desperately lonely sense becoming unemployed?
You need something to make you feel better. Go find a scumbag CEO and beat him/her. Or look for the illegal alien that is taking a job you could have had and beat them. Get a little stress relief and things will work out. If not at least when you are caught beating them you can get three hots, a cot, and work on your college degree courtesy of the State. Once paroled you will have lots of job opportunities thrown your way!

Old 06-29-2011, 05:59 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,669,641 times
i found this post because i am too unemployed except i just graduated from college months ago..i was in new york to work an internship but because i couldnt even find a job as a waitress or even retiail i returned home quitting my internship.. now i am back home in a ****ty town and i can't find anything..
i have even considered becoming a phone sex operator(i'm a girl) but i dont even know how to find that...
everyday i am being pressured to find a job to get out the house and off my parents health insurance but i am finding nothing.. i'm so desperate i think i'd marry the first guy who was stable if that mean i could get out my parents hair
i feel like such a failure and a loser beacuse my cousin found a job and he's make lots of money while me the smart one of hte family is just sitting at home..
i have no idea what to do
sometimes i feel like jumping off a bridge because at least i won't be a burden anymore...beside the funeral cost

Old 06-29-2011, 07:30 PM

29,667 posts, read 24,706,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
i feel like such a failure and a loser beacuse my cousin found a job and he's make lots of money while me the smart one of hte family is just sitting at home..
With that attitude, your going to have a hard road ahead. There are plenty of people with half the brain I have that make 4X as much. There are always going to be winners and losers, and we may see both sides of the fence in our lifetime. You'd be shocked to see how quickly fortunes can change in this country. Millionaires do become homeless from time to time, and homeless people do become millionaires on occasion.

The main thing to do is just find something, ignore everyone elses perceived success and try to be happy with what we have. You have a good brain and a degree, that's more than many have.

Old 06-30-2011, 08:23 PM

475 posts, read 647,152 times
Default Wow people, show some compassion.

I am saddened by the lack of compassion by the majority of people in this thread. I also have been unemployed for along time (32 months) and totally understand how some people can feel hopeless at times. I myself have had strong bouts of depression and loneliness throughout this period. After the first 8 months I went back to school and finished what I had started in 1977 by getting my 4 year degree, a BA in Management. My wife is super supportive and my best friend who is also going through a long period of unemployment has been by my side as well. I have faith in God and that no matter the circumstances HE is in control and has something wonderful for me, it is just the waiting that I am not so good at.

Still I have days where i wonder if I will work again, I am 55 and have been an accountant for over 28 years. I don't give up and continue to send out resumes everyday. I sympathize with those of us whom are struggling with the emotional damage that being jobless can cause. For those of you telling us to try harder at getting a job, do us all a favor and please do not frequent these boards, we do not need you to tell us what we should do. If you cannot show some compassion and acknowledge that it is very difficult to find a job in this economy, than go to the forums for over-inflated egos

Old 07-01-2011, 05:53 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,148,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazertrek50 View Post
I am saddened by the lack of compassion by the majority of people in this thread. I also have been unemployed for along time (32 months) and totally understand how some people can feel hopeless at times. I myself have had strong bouts of depression and loneliness throughout this period. After the first 8 months I went back to school and finished what I had started in 1977 by getting my 4 year degree, a BA in Management. My wife is super supportive and my best friend who is also going through a long period of unemployment has been by my side as well. I have faith in God and that no matter the circumstances HE is in control and has something wonderful for me, it is just the waiting that I am not so good at.

Still I have days where i wonder if I will work again, I am 55 and have been an accountant for over 28 years. I don't give up and continue to send out resumes everyday. I sympathize with those of us whom are struggling with the emotional damage that being jobless can cause. For those of you telling us to try harder at getting a job, do us all a favor and please do not frequent these boards, we do not need you to tell us what we should do. If you cannot show some compassion and acknowledge that it is very difficult to find a job in this economy, than go to the forums for over-inflated egos
I luckily have been employed throughout the whole recession. I used to bash the unemployed myself until I really understood what happened with our country. I did a lot of research and have come to the conclusion that it is definitely not the fault of the long term unemployed and I have lots of compassion for them now. Usually it takes becoming unemployed to understand, but I got it as my company just about got went out of business. Over half of our employees got laid off. I could have been one of them. I still can as the economy is now getting worse again.

Old 07-05-2011, 04:44 PM

26,135 posts, read 48,790,090 times
Red Roses, here's a bouquet for you.....

Keep your chin up and keep on plugging.

Tell us more about your situation, age, education, type of work you do, etc. You'll get lots of help on here.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health