Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 02:48 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,208,250 times

Advertisements

who constantly faces mental and emotional pain. A person who constantly faces rejection or abuse on a daily basis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2011, 02:52 PM

2,179 posts, read 3,404,562 times
Well, if they don't get out of that situation, something is bound to give..

They will have a breakdown, retaliate, launch a physical escape, or habitually escape within themselves, through alcohol, drugs, or schizophrenia..

Old 06-27-2011, 02:57 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Humble View Post
Well, if they don't get out of that situation, something is bound to give..

They will have a breakdown, retaliate, launch a physical escape, or habitually escape within themselves, through alcohol, drugs, or schizophrenia..
Or they'll get ill. You can take only so much.

Old 06-27-2011, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Or they'll get ill. You can take only so much.
Yeah, I'm assuming the OP is an abusive relationship..

Why not give us more OP? Maybe we can help..

Old 06-27-2011, 03:26 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,208,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Humble View Post
Yeah, I'm assuming the OP is an abusive relationship..

Why not give us more OP? Maybe we can help..
lol...I'm not in an abusive relationship.

I'll tell you the reason I asked this question although it might be difficult to follow so bear with me.

There are a lot of people out there who are socially awkward, inept and avoidant. But there's a reason why these people are the way they are. Many of them have been social outcasts all there lives. There was once a time where they tried to make friends, tried to open themselves up to people but were rejected, mocked and ridiculed at a young age. As a result they've isolated themselves from society and other people because it got so bad.

Basically what I'm saying is that there's a reason why people are socially inept. At some point you take the hint and realize that people flat out don't like you and you stop trying.

The other thing is that more socially competent people will tell the socially inept is that in order to learn social skills they must go out there and meet people. But I would think that if a socially inept person tries to do this they will face the same thing they have faced their entire lives. So how much more are these people supposed to take before something finally gives?

Old 06-27-2011, 03:30 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,563,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
who constantly faces mental and emotional pain. A person who constantly faces rejection or abuse on a daily basis.
Self-eradication

Old 06-27-2011, 03:33 PM

31,046 posts, read 22,077,427 times
Everybody is socially inept in some situations. I could not engage in public speaking for years. Started working on it in college, challenged myself and now I am like a fish in water. Challenge yourself a little, then rise to that level, then repeat until you have the skill!

Old 06-27-2011, 03:38 PM

Quote:

I'll tell you the reason I asked this question although it might be difficult to follow so bear with me.

There are a lot of people out there who are socially awkward, inept and avoidant. But there's a reason why these people are the way they are. Many of them have been social outcasts all there lives. There was once a time where they tried to make friends, tried to open themselves up to people but were rejected, mocked and ridiculed at a young age. As a result they've isolated themselves from society and other people because it got so bad.

Basically what I'm saying is that there's a reason why people are socially inept. At some point you take the hint and realize that people flat out don't like you and you stop trying.

The other thing is that more socially competent people will tell the socially inept is that in order to learn social skills they must go out there and meet people. But I would think that if a socially inept person tries to do this they will face the same thing they have faced their entire lives. So how much more are these people supposed to take before something finally gives?
Yeah, ok.. if every time you push a button a hammer comes out of the wall and clonks you on top of the head, pretty soon you're gonna think twice before pushing that same button again..

I guess the only reason to dare pushing that button is if there was something you really needed on the other side of that door.. if not, why bother taking another shot on the noggin'? If there's a reason why there will be no other way for you to get what you want then you'll do it. But if you/whoever is happy enough with said limited, or is it non-existent social life then so be it. If you want to find a woman, maybe go where they will think like you do.. book clubs? Night classes? Wine tasting? Not facetious, just doubt that no one, nowhere, no how will like you.. haven't seen that.

Old 06-27-2011, 03:46 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,070,743 times
Quote:
You will turn inward on yourself, shut down, and never trust anyone again.

Old 06-27-2011, 04:31 PM

936 posts, read 2,061,308 times
Quote:

Correction: you're socially inept right now. But being socially inept right now doesn't mean you have to stay that way.

When you learn to ride a bike, you're inept at first, right? You get better by riding more, not by avoiding the bike. Social skills are the same. They can be learned. That means your social skills can improve, and eventually you can feel much less socially inept. But it takes practice out in the world with other people.

There's no way out but through.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health