Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 03:30 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,625,789 times

Advertisements

Maybe you're not understanding what OCD is, ino, but most people who have it, are very well aware that they have it. People whose hands bleed because they are unable to leave the sink without washing their hands with dish detergent exactly six times...

People who will take every single can out of the kitchen cabinet and put them back in alphabetical order after dusting each one off, twice per day, every day, missing PTA meetings or their son's little league game because their cans are too important to miss...

Women who pull their hair out strand by strand until even a bandana will no longer cover the bald spot...

Pro Golfers who -must- go through a ritual right before they swing their club, EACH time they swing their club, and if they're distracted from their ritual, must start again from scratch...

These people ALL know they have OCD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2011, 12:10 AM
ino

680 posts, read 2,490,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Maybe you're not understanding what OCD is, ino, but most people who have it, are very well aware that they have it. People whose hands bleed because they are unable to leave the sink without washing their hands with dish detergent exactly six times...

People who will take every single can out of the kitchen cabinet and put them back in alphabetical order after dusting each one off, twice per day, every day, missing PTA meetings or their son's little league game because their cans are too important to miss...

Women who pull their hair out strand by strand until even a bandana will no longer cover the bald spot...

Pro Golfers who -must- go through a ritual right before they swing their club, EACH time they swing their club, and if they're distracted from their ritual, must start again from scratch...

These people ALL know they have OCD.
Yep, I believe I do understand what it is, and also have no doubt that anyone with it knows they've got it, but OCD can manifest itself in many ways/symptoms, with as many severity/debility levels. OCD may also come as a mixed bag with a host of other issues as well which the individual may not recognise or are not made aware of.

As another example, you and I may turn the stove off and praps check it to make sure, this I consider is a normal function of the mind process...But OCD people will KEEP checking it, and may even ask someone else to check it AFTER they've checked it countless times, and praps will STILL be thinking of it hours after the event. They can't let it go. Now I could do the same thing, but I don't, cos I can see the line and don't cross it, they can see the line also, but for some unknown reason deliberately cross it.

How many times has someone checked something and been satisfied, against how many OCD people who check something and are NOT satisfied. That's what I was trying to explain. Most people check things in a normal/usual way, but OCD people seem not to do things in a normal/usual way. They go overboard {for whatever reason}.

I believe I do know what OCD is, but it's too complex to go into detail in this place. And unless the OCD person can speak with someone OUTSIDE of the family, anything that's spoken about is not listened to {my experience}. Time must be allowed for that person to hear the same or similar things coming from a...'professional?' Family members are simply too close. I purposely don't include close 'friends?' here cos they haven't got a clue usually, unless it's a broken leg or arm they can't grasp it. Mental issues brings it's own hidden problems that most haven't a clue about, even 'professionals'. They can look in the book to see what medication is used to treat what, but that's about all they can do.

The brain has to be rewired, which is a long term thing, and I guess each case may be different. Family can help, but in my experience that help is not considered as help. People tend to only trust, and put their faith in a professional {or several professionals}...Why? I'm damned if I know? They are not necessarily any smarter than the next person, but those few letters that appear on a piece of paper after their names seems to have some psychological effect. People are too scared to get out of their comfort zone and tackle something different and that may actually work. But if they never never go, they'll never never know, and must rely instead on medications to assist in regaining some functionality and quality of life.

Life is about risk sometimes. One never knows what they can do until they try...but they gotta be willing to try...for better or worse.

This is only my personal experience and opinions living in the same house with *a form* of it, and concede that that *form* of it may be different to someone elses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health