Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 06:36 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,975,273 times

Advertisements

Oh, and as to Passages, I say pass. SMART is free, Women for Sobriety is free, and LifeRing has free meetings in certain locations around the country and world. There is a chat on the LifeRing forum also. There is a message board on SMART and F2F meetings, as is the case with Women for Sobriety. Oh, and there are LifeRing message lists too.

However, if none of these things work, there is also St. Judes in NY and Stanton Peele has his own treatment center. These are all 12 step free. I am quite sure the cost is lower.

Last edited by mistygrl092; 07-10-2011 at 07:04 PM.. Reason: add thought
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2011, 06:46 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,644,474 times
I know someone who was at Promises Malibu, just left a few weeks ago. He most certainly attended 12 step meetings every day.

Old 07-10-2011, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
I know someone who was at Promises Malibu, just left a few weeks ago. He most certainly attended 12 step meetings every day.
Well, there you go. They lie. Don't ask me how I know. I know. 95 plus percent of rehabs in this country are 12 step.

I provided some options that are truly not 12 step. How do I know? I know.

And don't listen to people who say that AA doesn't think it's a disease, as that is clearly a crock of you know what. Furthermore, several courts have ruled AA is a religion. AA is basically faith healing. A 1930s model treating an addiction problem in 2011.

This begs the question. If AA says it's a disease, then why treat it with religion? Of course, AAers will say it's "spiritual," not religion. The courts have ruled otherwise.

Old 07-10-2011, 07:09 PM

Oh, and I'll add a couple more thoughts. There are drugs out there now - to include Naltrexone (Revia), Campral, and even Baclofen (which has been lauded in France) as a way to deal with addiction.

At least SOME scientific inroads are being made into finding some sort of help for those addicted, as addiction is a brain disease (much like bipolar, schizophrenia, depression, OCD, etc), not a moral failing - as AA would have you believe. In fact, research shows that 60% of those with alcohol problems/issues have these comorbid conditions, hence the term dual diagnosis.

I would encourage anyone to google on these drugs and other sites that promote the treatment of addiction using said drugs.

Last edited by mistygrl092; 07-10-2011 at 07:13 PM.. Reason: add thoughts

Old 07-10-2011, 08:08 PM

17,930 posts, read 27,339,625 times
Hi there mistygurl. MA and ftg are my good friends and allies in non-A.A. recovery.

I'd gladly send anyone I know for whom A.A. does not work or for whom it has caused harm to their site.

I'm back on their "resentment list" with my own site and am in good pro-AA company... at least with Danny F. You may knock his personal life, but he has a great book study. . We're a group of recovered alcoholics who make use of the A.A. program and we do not partake in the hating of other methods. Some of us were baited to go over there, but MA, ftg and I have made our peace.

You can form a hate-group for A.A. here if you would like. That would be interesting.

A.A. is not a religion for me nor is it a disease. My disease is not out in the parking lot doing pushups. If it was, I'd connect it to my ass and we'd have a new infomercial.

I was not guaranteed a success rate with A.A. I was told to get in, do these steps, that it was all up to me. The ball was put in my court and I was given the dignity to find out if I was alky or not, to invoke a conception of God for help, and either I was going to do these steps or I was not. I felt freedom in that and have not had a drop of booze since. If you're upset that I give A.A. credit, that's on you.

Last edited by McGowdog; 07-10-2011 at 08:20 PM..

Old 07-10-2011, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Hi there mistygurl. MA and ftg are my good friends and allies in non-A.A. recovery.

I'd gladly send anyone I know for whom A.A. does not work or for whom it has caused harm to their site.

I'm back on their "resentment list" with my own site and am in good pro-AA company... at least with Danny F. You may knock his personal life, but he has a great book study. . We're a group of recovered alcoholics who make use of the A.A. program and we do not partake in the hating of other methods. Some of us were baited to go over there, but MA, ftg and I have made our peace.

You can form a hate-group for A.A. here if you would like. That would be interesting.

A.A. is not a religion for me nor is it a disease. My disease is not out in the parking lot doing pushups. If it was, I'd connect it to my ass and we'd have a new infomercial.

I was not guaranteed a success rate with A.A. I was told to get in, do these steps, that it was all up to me. The ball was put in my court and I was given the dignity to find out if I was alky or not, to involk a conception of God for help, and either I was going to do these steps or I was not. I felt freedom in that and have not had a drop of booze since. If you're upset that I give A.A. credit, that's on you.
Why are you back on their resentment list if you are good friends? I do notice you've toned it down quite a bit over there, but just sayin'.

I have no interest in forming an AA hate group here. What I'd like to see is you and others in AA mention the sites I did. And I don't know who Danny F. is. All I know is I follow that site and at one time you were banned. I've even gone on your site and, by your own admission, numbers are down.

AA may not be a religion for you (and thank you for not pulling the spiritual routine on me), but the courts have ruled otherwise, and you know that.

You can give all the credit to AA that you want. I say you were just ready to stop drinking.

And while YOU may not view it as a disease, just what the hell do your counterparts in AA view it as? I have the answer - a disease. So you can stop with the claiming that AA doesn't view it as a disease.

BTW, do you send anyone on SR to ST?

Last edited by mistygrl092; 07-10-2011 at 08:33 PM..

Old 07-10-2011, 08:32 PM

Wait a minute. Do you want A.A. to be a disease or a religion?

Pick one.

The A.A. I know needs neither the medical fraternity, the pharmaceuticals, Big Insurance, nor the Church.

If A.A. is a religion, which one is it? Christian? Catholic? Cult?

Oh, and btw, I was never ever banned from ST. Just ask ftg.

Old 07-10-2011, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Wait a minute. Do you want A.A. to be a disease or a religion?

Pick one.

The A.A. I know needs neither the medical fraternity, the pharmaceuticals, Big Insurance, nor the Church.

If A.A. is a religion, which one is it? Christian? Catholic? Cult?

Oh, and btw, I was never ever banned from ST. Just ask ftg.

You didn't answer my question. If you are such "good friends," why are you on their resentment list?

What is propogated by AA - that alcoholism is a disease is propogated by AA. AA is also a religion. You know this. The courts have ruled as such.

AA has its own bait and switch religion. I am quite sure you are familiar with the Orange site. And Buchmanism. And the rest.

You at one time caused quite the problem over there and I am not 100 percent sure, but I clearly remember you being an issue over there.

Old 07-10-2011, 09:00 PM

I don't think A.A.propagates anything and is off most peoples' radar.

I could care less what the courts say, such as Casey Anthony being innocent.

Why does ST need a resentment list? It's a fun thing.

Old 07-10-2011, 09:02 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,603,039 times
I have to agree that 12 step program works but like anyhting else it depends on if you want to quit. I never really drank but have seberal friends who drnak from evening ans weekends to evryday pretty much all day. All wnet thru the AA 12 step program to fianlly quit and have been sober for at least twenty years. I am sure that a teatment cnetr could also work. But their cost was zero and they couldn;t have afford to go;not work( some owened their own business) and certainly not 80K.I really don't think you have to worry about being brainwashed like previous poster says. One who praises it that had the worse problem says it saved his life because he was starting to have liver problems. He still attends meetings to help others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health