Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 11:08 PM

8 posts, read 10,166 times

Advertisements

Just everything about them was so miserable? You try to talk to them and they are just so cold? How do you deal? I have this sis in law and she is the most miserable person I have ever known. I know she has been depressed since she lost her job but she takes her anger and frustration out on everyone else,acts like a rude *****, is a homebody, doesn't make an effort to look for work and refuses to go to therapy. How do you deal with a person like this when you always have to see them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2011, 12:27 AM

2,190 posts, read 6,829,619 times
Accept her for who she is, don't try and change her (that's up to her) but have very good and clear boundaries.
And make it clear to her that you will not tolerate her taking out her stuff on you.If everyone in her life takes care of themselves and doesn't allow her to dump on them, that may be motivation enough for her to change her ways.
If not, at least everyone around her is taking care of him and her self.

Old 07-03-2011, 12:33 AM

26,338 posts, read 93,427,408 times
What do you mean by "had to deal with"? Other than your kids, there aren't too many people you "have" to deal with. Life is too short to deal with people who make you upset that you you don't "have" to deal with.

Old 07-03-2011, 04:08 AM

20 posts, read 232,442 times
Default Ignor[ing] is bliss

Ignore this person as much as you can. Do not give her the time of day if you don't have to. The commenter (sorry I don't recall your username) who advised that you don't actually "have" to deal with many people has a very good point I agree with.

I understand that it may be a bit more delicate a situation for you than it seems to be for me. I now have brothers and sisters in law, but they are fantastic. Don't waste your time and bring yourself down by being around people you can't stand -- unless you're doing it "for the lulz" as the phrase goes.

Even mentally ill people can learn to change their behavior. Do not encourage her bad behavior in any way you can avoid. If you can safely suggest she get therapy why not do it? A person who is depressed and being miserable may not realize there is anything she can do to change her situation. I do not blame her for her depression, but it doesn't have to be a claim on you.

Old 07-03-2011, 03:20 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,384,292 times
My Grandfather was the nastiest people I have ever known.
I cant even begin to describe the **** he put us through and I did have to deal with him.

I cant say I shed a tear when he left us, but i'm not sorry I had the chance to spend the last years of his life caring for him.

Old 07-04-2011, 01:37 AM

5,238 posts, read 7,951,293 times
Have you ever tried to talk to her about the problems going on now? Depression can make one angry and produce a mound of frustration as well. She may have had a bad experience with a Psychologist or Shrink and just doesn't feel it will help now. Finding the right therapist can produce frustrations as well. It is difficult looking for another job when depressed, ones self esteem is usually low and its hard for many to fake confidence. There is really nothing wrong with being a homebody, and if she is depressed she may not feel in the mood to party and have people around she feels don't understand. If she is just a cold, nasty person by nature and you have made an effort in the past to be kind, do your best to limit the amount of time you have to be around her.

Old 07-04-2011, 04:40 PM

220 posts, read 545,873 times
Does she have good insurance through her husband's job? If she is unemployed she might not have good insurance or might not be able to afford counseling. Of course that isn't an excuse for her to mistreat you...

Old 07-04-2011, 05:54 PM

13,513 posts, read 19,191,561 times
If you have to see her....just go to do what you have to do...smile, let her do the talking....just listen...finish up, and high tail it outta there.

Old 07-05-2011, 11:24 AM

970 posts, read 2,203,522 times
She will continue to stay miserable until she decides to change. You can't do anything about it and if she is being nasty to you then limit the time you spend together.

Old 07-06-2011, 12:23 PM

13,513 posts, read 19,191,561 times
The main thing is she's a homebody, so she can't be a miserable B to anyone... unless they come to her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health