Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 09:57 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,406,247 times

Advertisements

Ah, so, tweety is a young guy, living at home with his parents, wishing to sprwad his wings!

Take heart, tweety, I was stuck in your situation once, I hated my parents, hated living with them. It gets better, life moves forward, I found my path out, and ended up loving my parents! distance makes the heart grow fonder!

You're just in a bad spot where you want your indepencence and freedom, and can't make it work right now. Give it time, it will!

Good luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2011, 12:41 AM

20 posts, read 233,605 times
[This post is a reply to leanansidhex's post on page 2.]

I can understand how someone might want to talk about how happy people are stupid heads; but I don't think happy people are stupid heads. I have thought that many times before, but when I give them the benefit of the doubt. Are we stupid heads when we aren't suffering from depression? No. We are just like we are when we are depressed, but we aren't depressed and don't have the changed view of the world that comes from the cognitive changes brought about by depression. Even when I have been angry that some people can be so happy, when the world seems like a horrible place, I either envied the "shining happy people" or knew that it was just my depression that made them seem stupid and blissfully ignorant of how evil the world really is. Just last year I was in a dark depression (became psychotically delusional in fact) and the world really seemed like a twisted, evil place, a cruel joke as it has been put so many times before.

While I usually disagree when people say you have to look at only the good things and ignore the bad -- that is how people often say one stays happy -- one has to look at the good things too. And one must keep in mind that it is mental illness twisting our brains to make us emphasize all the bad things (some of them truly awful). A neurotypical person who is not brutally oppressed by a government, terrorized by religious fanatics or dying of preventable disease or starvation is probably one of the best people you can pick to evaluate the goodness or badness of the world, I think. And even these terribly unfortunate people do not all see the world as an evil place; they see it as a place with evil in it.

Bertie

Last edited by Wooster1; 07-07-2011 at 12:48 AM.. Reason: Forgot to quote the post I was responding to.

Old 07-07-2011, 03:03 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Ah, so, tweety is a young guy, living at home with his parents, wishing to sprwad his wings!

Take heart, tweety, I was stuck in your situation once, I hated my parents, hated living with them. It gets better, life moves forward, I found my path out, and ended up loving my parents! distance makes the heart grow fonder!

You're just in a bad spot where you want your indepencence and freedom, and can't make it work right now. Give it time, it will!

Good luck
I remember being in that spot as well, the spreading the wings is a good analogy as you want to fly but are still basically in the parents cage..
Realize this is just a phase and rise above the whole negativity thing as it maybe showing and causing a negative impact when looking for jobs or friends,you may be coming off as a sad sack type personality that turns people off,get into thinking positive about yourself and think in terms of you being the best you in the world, maybe take up a Tai-Chi program as your Ying/Yang are out of balance.

Old 07-08-2011, 03:11 PM

798 posts, read 1,460,434 times
Wink I am not surprised u feel alone

Americans are asocial and stoic ppl. They are very individualistic people and don't like to share too much with others.. I am Latin and can see this phenomenon perfectly.

Old 07-08-2011, 08:53 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelscorpio View Post
Americans are asocial and stoic ppl. They are very individualistic people and don't like to share too much with others.. I am Latin and can see this phenomenon perfectly.
There are 300 million Americans. They are not all the same. Some are very social and/or have large family networks.

Old 07-09-2011, 04:58 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,986,894 times
Hey Tweetybird, Can you tell us a bit more about yourself. Did you go to college, what kinds of jobs have you been applying for, and whats your approximate age? Some good ideas people suggested here. Volunteering would get you out of the house and you might meet some people or it could work into a job of some sort. It's still a who ya know kinda world ya know.

Interesting you see Americans like that, Angelscorpio. I see it more like, mostly sheep thinking they are individualistic. lol

Old 07-11-2011, 03:35 AM

20 posts, read 233,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetybird11208 View Post
No I live at home with parents and can't stand it I want to move out so bad but cant! I depressed because I can't find work and have to but up with my familys crap
I've lived with parents a lot of the time, and we often wouldn't get along. For example, I have trouble sleeping at night and being awake in the daytime. I haven't found an easy fix to this. My mother would become very angry with me when she would find me awake late at night or sleeping late in the morning.

Eventually, she kicked me out. I found the first job I could, as a delivery driver for a Chinese restaurant. I lived on my own, found a girlfriend, and enjoyed myself by reading books and watching movies at home. I also hated my job a lot of the time. And I drank way too much. I was lucky my gf put up with it.

Then, a couple years later, I enrolled in a university to finish my degree, moved back in with my parents to save money, and here I am with my degree almost finished. Maybe you could do something along those lines.

If you can't find work, what do you do with your time instead?

Have you seen any mental-health professionals? What have they said to you if you have?

Bertie

Old 07-11-2011, 05:04 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
As you grow older friction between you and your parents is a natural way of nature telling you its time to leave the nest.. Once you leave its quite remarkable how quick your parents become human again

Old 07-12-2011, 07:51 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,293,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Ah, so, tweety is a young guy, living at home with his parents, wishing to spread his wings!
Partly right. But Tweety's a girl.

Old 07-12-2011, 03:22 PM

326 posts, read 813,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooster1 View Post
[This post is a reply to leanansidhex's post on page 2.]

I can understand how someone might want to talk about how happy people are stupid heads; but I don't think happy people are stupid heads. I have thought that many times before, but when I give them the benefit of the doubt. Are we stupid heads when we aren't suffering from depression? No. We are just like we are when we are depressed, but we aren't depressed and don't have the changed view of the world that comes from the cognitive changes brought about by depression. Even when I have been angry that some people can be so happy, when the world seems like a horrible place, I either envied the "shining happy people" or knew that it was just my depression that made them seem stupid and blissfully ignorant of how evil the world really is. Just last year I was in a dark depression (became psychotically delusional in fact) and the world really seemed like a twisted, evil place, a cruel joke as it has been put so many times before.

While I usually disagree when people say you have to look at only the good things and ignore the bad -- that is how people often say one stays happy -- one has to look at the good things too. And one must keep in mind that it is mental illness twisting our brains to make us emphasize all the bad things (some of them truly awful). A neurotypical person who is not brutally oppressed by a government, terrorized by religious fanatics or dying of preventable disease or starvation is probably one of the best people you can pick to evaluate the goodness or badness of the world, I think. And even these terribly unfortunate people do not all see the world as an evil place; they see it as a place with evil in it.

Bertie
No I am a girl, good post though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health