Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 07:46 PM

83 posts, read 850,390 times

Advertisements

I was diagnosed with an anxiety disorder about a month ago. I have had only 1 panic attack since then. The Dr. prescribed me Buspar. I don;t have panic attacks but can feel the anxiety in my upper chest and can't redirect the thoughts when I feel it. I have a very hard time thinking about anything but anxiety; which is very very hard. How do you get your mind off of anxiety when you are feeling it? I really only anxious when I am home at the end of the day and not doing anything. I just can't seem to totally relax. Any help will help/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2011, 11:58 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,851,636 times
I posted the piece below on a thread a few days ago.
I thought i'd re-post it in reply to your post.

And even if you cannot bring yourself to one of the practices i mentioned, just sitting in a comfortable position with your spine straight and breathing very deeply (and exhaling just a bit more than the inhale so as to "reverse" the stress response) for as long a time as you are comfortable with will be helpful.
Simply watch your breath as you inhale and exhale.
Breathe deeply.
Inhale (through your nose) deeply expanding your belly and then chest.
Exhale deeply through your nose.
Keep your mouth closed and, ideally, with the tip of your tongue resting comfortably on the roof of your mouth and just lightly touching your upper front teeth.
Your eyes can be closed or open ... whatever you're comfortable with.
Keep your awareness on your breath.
Thoughts will come and you're attention will wander ... no problem .... as soon as you become aware that you're paying attention to your thoughts and not to your breath, just bring your attention back to your breathing.
This is simple and fundamental meditation and doing it daily will help you and change you for the better.
If you find that anxiety increases during meditation, don't let that discourage you.
Just stay with it. The anxiety will pass as you continue to breath with awareness.
It's a process and feelings (just like thoughts) will come and go and you just allow whatever is happening to happen.

Finding a way into a yoga, qigong or tai chi practice is something to consider.
A combination of therapy if needed, herbal remedies for calming the mind and body and a daily practice as mentioned is a way to empower oneself by learning how to retrain and ultimately transform the whole system of being so that it can effectively deal with both inner and outer stress and come into a more balanced state.
The body is naturally "equipped" to come into balance but we have lost touch with and trust in its amazing ability to correct itself and our ability to heal ourselves.
A daily practice that works with all levels of being (as yoga and qigong and tai chi do) is also a way to radically heal and to evolve and to, ultimately speaking, realize who we are / our full potential.
It also loosens the dependency on prescription medication which will always involve side effects and will potentially disallow one from getting to the root of the issue that is creating such imbalance.
But it takes effort and time .... and can be extremely enjoyable.

Last edited by jaijai; 07-12-2011 at 12:13 AM..

Old 07-12-2011, 09:49 AM

1,318 posts, read 5,272,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyman View Post
I was diagnosed with an anxiety disorder about a month ago. I have had only 1 panic attack since then. The Dr. prescribed me Buspar. I don;t have panic attacks but can feel the anxiety in my upper chest and can't redirect the thoughts when I feel it. I have a very hard time thinking about anything but anxiety; which is very very hard. How do you get your mind off of anxiety when you are feeling it? I really only anxious when I am home at the end of the day and not doing anything. I just can't seem to totally relax. Any help will help/
Does the Buspar seem to help? If not,you might need a different med plus some therapy. Its hard to break the cycle of anxiety without some kind of help be it meds,therapy or even maybe homeopathic stuff. Im not much for herbal.

Old 05-15-2013, 11:13 PM

1 posts, read 1,588 times
hello i am suffering general anxiety disorder from 12 yrs.now itake rexipra20&duzela20 each tablet once a day. but i feel so lazy & worried . plz suggest me what i do.

Old 05-16-2013, 03:36 PM

524 posts, read 843,773 times
I have anxiety as well. A long walk outside in a green setting helps me. Swimming is also helpful. I also talk to myself when it gets really bad-kind of a little reasonable pep talk. Gardening is a great way to work out your anxiety-that is the most uplifting for me. Anxiety dispels as I begin to be distracted by the task at hand and before I know it, I have taken out the heart of what was bothering me and put it aside. Maybe took it out on the soil. I would imagine that kneading bread would provide a similar respite.

Old 05-16-2013, 07:55 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,481,533 times
I have GAD and take Klonopin as well as Ambien for sleep

Old 05-16-2013, 08:57 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyman View Post

There are lots of very good medicines for anxiety, Lexapro and Wellbutrin for example. Did your doctor recommend those?

Best bet: Keep working with your doctor. You can always get second opnions. Stay in network.

Old 05-30-2013, 12:36 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
I have GAD and take Klonopin as well as Ambien for sleep
I have taken Buspar, which I always found to "file off the rough edges", but currently I am in a high-stress situation at work that has lasted months and will only get worse in the ensuing months. I was taking Klonapin (generic) which helped me sleep and get through rough days, but now I am reading about how horribly addictive it can be. This week I had a lot of things going on and a friend gave me some Xanax, tiny pieces, which help, but now I read that X is even more addictive due to the short half-life. Most of my busy stuff this week is over, so I've tried not to take any, but I have felt jittery--after only a couple of days on tiny doses!

I have long had insomnia, not usually anxiety-related, but garden variety insomnia, and had Ambien for that, but you can develop tolerance VERY quickly and it stops working altogether. I would be afraid to take it along with a benzo.

I don't know what is going to work for me, especially knowing my stress levels are only going to increase in the coming weeks/months Trying to find a psy doc.

Old 05-30-2013, 02:38 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,481,533 times
Yes all benzos are addictive and so is Ambien. What I do is rotate to Benadryll and Melatonin. There is no perfect solution just have to weight pros against cons.

Old 05-30-2013, 05:38 PM

5,452 posts, read 11,251,217 times
Benzos are addictive but if they help so what? A diabetic is also dependant on his daily shot. Long term use comes though with side-effects most notably memory loss but like you said... just have to weight pros and cons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health