U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2011, 03:17 PM

2,638 posts, read 5,048,400 times

Advertisements

Is it true that people often try to kill themselves with sleeping pills (like Sominex) but they almost always fail?

If so, is it because it causes vomiting or do the pills just not have that effect?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2011, 08:14 AM

5,359 posts, read 4,875,940 times
I'd like to know the answer because I'm considering it.

Old 07-13-2011, 04:26 PM
Status: "Does Anyone Know What They Are Doing Anymore?" (set 22 hours ago)

3,932 posts, read 4,521,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
Nobody answer this question because there are too many who would like to know the answer so they don't screw it up, including me.

Altguy, I have read some of your posts, and if you have read any of mine you will know I am going through the worst period of my life, and yes, I too think ending it would be the best thing to do sometimes. However, I am a Christian and I cannot justify killing myself when Jesus Christ is there for me. But I can relate to your despair.

I am seeing a psychologist who I like, and I am on a mild anxiety medication for when I start to freak out. Generic Adivan, low dose.

Please do anything you can to keep yourself alive, I tell myself things like "next year at this time, things will be over/or better/or different. Time does help in getting through the bad times. I also rely ALOT on this Mental Health board and the Christianity Board for emotional help.

God bless you, and the OP, if the question pertains to suicide for him/her also.

Old 07-13-2011, 04:30 PM

8,308 posts, read 35,827,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
Is it true that people often try to kill themselves with sleeping pills (like Sominex) but they almost always fail?

If so, is it because it causes vomiting or do the pills just not have that effect?
Most OTC sleep aids are pretty mild as far as toxicity goes and it can be extremely difficult to take enough to suppress your breathing reflex. You can take enough to develop life-threatening and very painful liver/kidney damage.

You would probably do better to take a 10,000x dose of benadryl.

Old 07-13-2011, 04:31 PM

8,308 posts, read 35,827,888 times
Quote:
Glad to see you're still here.

Old 07-13-2011, 04:52 PM

8,481 posts, read 6,209,481 times
Aside from many other reasons not to do that. Let me just say you would be much worse off if you fail such attempts. The end goal I assume is relief from suffering, not prolonging or increasing it.

Really do look for some kind of help. I know we got problems there also so I don't say that lightly.

I will also chime in w/ a god bless.

Last edited by CDusr; 07-13-2011 at 05:38 PM..

Old 07-14-2011, 10:39 PM

14 posts, read 28,005 times
If you are considering overdosing, consider that it's hard to do and you can easily end up doing permanent damage to your body and or end up a lot worse off. Please get some help. Part of depression is the inability to see thru the fog. Call your local mental health authority, your insurance company, or 1-800-suicide to talk to someone please. Depression is treatable, but it takes work. It does get better, try to imagine the one thing you'd like to see change, ask if it's something you have any control over, And then write up some baby steps you can take to make it happen. Even if you do a tiny one- give yourself credit. It's hard to do anything besides breathe or swallow when you're depressed! Get a professional to enlist as at least a cheerleader. If you are grieving the past, ask yourself what would it take to let it go? What would it mean? Are you willing to do it? If not, why? If so, what needs to happen? (I know that just "letting it go" is easier said than done) start to look at the thoughts, feelings, behaviors that go along with this thing you don't have any control over- how can you change just one of those 3 things? Can you start behaving in the opposite way? Can you try to fake it at least for a while? This is just a jumping off point, and things you can journal about. Always end a journal entry with something truly positive though. But seek some help, please!

Old 07-15-2011, 01:14 AM

5,239 posts, read 7,097,014 times
Quote:
I understand despair, but really I think you need some drastic changes. Like I said, consider teaching English overseas for a year, find a good property management company to rent your house and start a new adventure. For me at least, something positive happening would be a much better antidepressant than any pill out there. When so down and feeling stuck in a circle its hard to see a way out, I realize that, being alone adds to that greatly. When I get bad, I try to think of people that have nothing, kids with no shoes begging for food. Depression is a very real illness, but I do think trying to think of others and what I can do to help them, can be therapeutic.

Try your best to shake off these bad thoughts you have been having. I know first hand what its like, so its not like I'm some do gooder here with out a clue telling you to snap out of it. But I do think you have to fight it when you get these kinds of thoughts. When I say something bad outloud, like I wish I was dead (and when I'm very bad its almost as if the tape is playing on auto loop), I try to say no thats not what I want, I just want things to be better and feel ok. You try and correct yourself when you say or think things like that,ok?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health