Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2011, 01:21 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,330,693 times

Advertisements

I have a strong fear of heights but maybe not what some people would think is the normal fear. I can stand at the top of a tall building, walk along a cliff with a thousand foot drop or drive a windy mountain road, but you get me 5 feet up a ladder and I start shaking. And forget climbing down a rope even a few feet.
Does anyone else have only this kind of acrophobia?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2011, 03:00 PM

1,266 posts, read 3,214,522 times
Hmmmm...that's a new one on me, and I'm well acquainted with acrophobia, since I've been married to a sufferer for 33 years who claims he's nervous just being as tall as he is.

(As an aside, it was a verification of the true love he claimed he felt for me when I dragged him on the mule-back trip in the Grand Canyon, which included the beasts walking on a two-foot-wide path called Skeleton Point that had 4000-foot drop-offs on both sides.)

I was curious since DH has no trouble on ladders or ropes like you do, and Wikipedia had this:

A possible contributing factor is dysfunction in maintaining balance. In this case the anxiety is both well founded and secondary. The human balance system integrates proprioceptive, vestibular and nearby visual cues to reckon position and motion. As height increases visual cues recede and balance becomes poorer even in normal people. Moderator cut: too long a quote, 1-2 sentences and link
It might be worth your while to discuss this with your doctor and undergo some balance-testing, along with asking if you qualify for any clinical trials that are researching this phobia. Good luck!

Old 07-24-2011, 09:34 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,248,449 times
Some people have issues with heights, or even driving over bridges or through tunnels, due to inner ear problems. It's said to be especially common in people who also suffer depression, although even people who don't perceive themselves as being depressed have improvements in balance issues when they take anti-depressants. I know a woman who could barely travel by car (life-long motion sickness plus fear of bridges and tunnels) who was "miracle-cured" after taking Paxil.

Old 07-24-2011, 09:41 PM

247 posts, read 573,548 times
im a little nervous, monday august first, my company is doing rope training for a mine rescue class. (i work in an underground mine) im on the rescue team and they want me to repel off a cliff Im not very excited about it.. I have had ear problems all of my life and had reconstructive ear surgery in 2003 and another in 2004. have prostetic inner ear bones (incus bones) and have never been really good with hights.. im thinking maybe ill be ok with my harness and ropes securing me. just worried i guess..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health