Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2011, 01:18 AM

7,639 posts, read 18,118,347 times

Advertisements

I have been very depressed and somewhat anxious for a little over a year. My father died in 2006; I was diagnosed with an (ultimately) lethal brain tumor in 2009, followed up by surgery and rehabilitation; I had several risky encounters with my brother soon after my tumor was operated on; my house had a fire, forcing us to leave it for a month and then return when construction crews had a month to go, because my mother spent all of the insurance company's "living expense" money on store bills; our store eventually failed, putting me out of a job without unemployment insurance (although I lived with my mother); I lost probably 75% of my possessions to theft. All of these things I had to bear without any support network, except for some distant friends. If that isn't much, I don't know what is (of course, I could have it worse - I recognize that).

I was put on Zoloft for a completely different reason in 2003; "scrupulosity" or religious OCD. This eventually cleared up my problem. Meanwhile, my doctor kept me medicated, and switched me to Prozac. I forgot to take my Prozac with me on my trip to Morocco and Spain in 2008; within those 26 days, I lost an estimated 35 pounds. I felt that my abstention from Prozac was one of the causes, so I only took it to fend off withdrawals. Well, I'm still on Prozac, even though I have not taken it in about a month. I think I need something else. And what would that be?

When I was suffering from insomnia possibly induced by chemotherapy, my brain tumor center put me on Ambien. It turned out to work miracles: not only did it put me to sleep, but it made me incredibly happy! A drug with the same effects as Ambien, except somnolence (sleepiness) and lack of coordination. In other words, a psychoactive that makes you feel happy and optimistic. I've always thought that optimism was a complex emotion and not tied with any specific chemical targeted by a drug, but apparently, when I take Ambien, my experience is:

1) It lifts my spirits
2) I take greater interest in things
3) I actually feel a sense of hope for the future, which is very important for me.
4) I find it more difficult to get sexually aroused

Therefore, I'd like to hear if there is some drug out there like Ambien, except that it is not used as a sleep aid but as an anti-depressant. I've taken Ativan before, but that only calms me down. If you know of any, please suggest them and I will see if I can get a prescription.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health