Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2011, 06:56 AM

150 posts, read 297,966 times

Advertisements

My father is in his 90s and was recently diagnosed with severe dementia, vascular type. I think back and wonder, when did it begin, why didn't we recognize it for what it was and why didn't we deal with it as such? The VA, where he exclusively went for health care, didn't have it on their list of his diagnosises until it was too obvious. I don't think it came on that suddenly although he became very paranoid in the last six months. I would have hoped we would have taken a more vigourous approach to deal with his issues if we had recognized them as dementia. With vascular dementia you can halt the further deterioration if the cause if treated (out of control diabeties). I suspect I'll be pondering this for the rest of my life, and wondering why the opportunity was lost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2011, 01:24 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,999,979 times
My Dad died of Alzheimer's last year. One thing I will share - they do put on a front that they know what's going on when they don't. Maybe this is true in your case too.

Old 08-07-2011, 07:07 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,425,831 times
Alzheimers patients do realize they've got problems at first, and may try to cover it up. Paranoia can be a feature of it, and maybe since it was more noticeable with your Dad you were focusing on that and didn't notice little memory slip-ups. Don't be too hard on yourself. I know how hard this is to deal with. Stay strong.

Old 08-07-2011, 08:36 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,799,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
Alzheimers patients do realize they've got problems at first, and may try to cover it up. Paranoia can be a feature of it, and maybe since it was more noticeable with your Dad you were focusing on that and didn't notice little memory slip-ups. Don't be too hard on yourself. I know how hard this is to deal with. Stay strong.
I second this. Personality changes come first and come on so gradually that you may think it's natural or just a bit of senility creeping up on him. We've seen it coming with mom for 15 years now and she's only 75, but she only recently became concerned enough herself to consent to go to the doc, so what could we have done sooner anyway?

Old 08-08-2011, 09:08 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
Is he on Statins, that is what killed my dad in short order.

Old 08-08-2011, 09:15 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,676,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janeace View Post
My father is in his 90s and was recently diagnosed with severe dementia, vascular type. I think back and wonder, when did it begin, why didn't we recognize it for what it was and why didn't we deal with it as such? The VA, where he exclusively went for health care, didn't have it on their list of his diagnosises until it was too obvious. I don't think it came on that suddenly although he became very paranoid in the last six months. I would have hoped we would have taken a more vigourous approach to deal with his issues if we had recognized them as dementia. With vascular dementia you can halt the further deterioration if the cause if treated (out of control diabeties). I suspect I'll be pondering this for the rest of my life, and wondering why the opportunity was lost.
First can I say I am so sorry that your family and your dad are going through this terrible time. We just do not know everything about dementia.
This link could give you more information. Try to enjoy and take it one day at a time with your dad. God Bless.
Vascular dementia: Symptoms - MayoClinic.com

Old 08-10-2011, 01:29 PM

150 posts, read 297,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Is he on Statins, that is what killed my dad in short order.
No, the VA went with Haldol.

Old 08-10-2011, 07:39 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
People w/dementia try really hard to not let on that they don't know what's going on. They will be quiet, murmer something like "umm", smile when others are smiling, etc. It can be hard to realize until the dementia is severe.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 08-24-2011, 12:10 AM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janeace View Post
No, the VA went with Haldol.
That is an antipsychotic. Good thing they don't have him on statins, pure poison for most.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health