U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 08:11 AM

1,162 posts, read 3,823,865 times

Advertisements

Wait a minute. You said he started to describe how he killed a bird with a long neck... it seems to me if he would want to tell you about that, he got some thrill in it. After all, you yourself cut him off so you wouldn't have to hear it. He's already said he wasn't a hunter, which means shooting and killing animals. A man who only fishes has a different mindset than a hunter. So, a child who killed "a lot, all kinds" of animals becuz his stepfather did it, he was not hunting, rather this is a man who was raised up around a maniac, and could be he took on some of those traits and thus his conscience isn't working like ours is.

You are in danger, he might want to do some of the things he did to animals to you, to your family, to your pets. i don't care if he thinks he's outgrown it. Like I said, just that he would begin to describe how he killed a bird really makes me sick to my stomach. The best way to get out of a relationship is to quit seeing him and if he asks why you aren't available, tell him you found someone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2011, 08:47 AM

13,492 posts, read 21,932,310 times
I think if he had really moved past that stage, he would hesitate to bring it up. Did he indicate any shame? There is a big difference between hunting and killing. Hunters don't want to see their prey suffer.

Old 08-18-2011, 09:26 AM

1,248 posts, read 1,972,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
Many a fine hour was spent over fire ant beds with a magnifying glass. A friend of mine had a copy of the anarchist's cookbook and we made pipe bombs, napalm, "thermite" (which actually works really well in conjunction with a magnesium shaving block - it's a wonder we didn't kill ourselves and all of us have ten fingers), rudimentary black powder (which didn't work very well, but we had access to lots of Hogdon Clays shotgun powder), we built M60 launchers, made silencers for them and all manner of things that would have landed us on the Homeland Security watch list in modern America. Just boys.

We used to stun bullfrogs in a pond with cherry bombs and, when we didn't have cherry bombs, would pick 'em off with a Benjamin .22 pellet gun. My friend's grandmother lived with his parents and was a bona fide Louisiana coon ass. She would actually get excited when we came home with a basket of frogs and profanely wonder out loud why her boys couldn't get frogs when they were young.
Aesop's Fables

Translated by George Fyler Townsend
The Boys and the Frogs

SOME BOYS, playing near a pond, saw a number of Frogs in the water and began to pelt them with stones. They killed several of them, when one of the Frogs, lifting his head out of the water, cried out: "Pray stop, my boys: what is sport to you, is death to us."

Old 08-18-2011, 09:38 AM

5,346 posts, read 8,215,789 times
^^^
I was gonna say, doesn't nearly every boy do cruel things to small animals while growing up? I am the most non-violent person you ever could meet and I blew up toads with firecrackers while working on my Uncle's farm in Nebraska during summers. Not all the time or often, but that's just what we got into once in a while. Weird looking back on it, but the most natural thing in the world stuck in the middle of nowhere trying to entertain yourself in the few times you were not working your ass off.

Now, cats or bunnies that's a different story- (well, actually we used to shoot dozens of rabbits because they would get into the feed and such...)

Women screaming you should run away are projecting a bit me thinks.

Old 08-18-2011, 10:54 AM

191 posts, read 321,014 times
The only reason that this would raise any alarm to me is if he was mutilating the animals he killed. When a child kills something I think they usually don’t grasp the concept of life fully and most times it’s by accident. When a child kills something and begins to mutilate the dead animal’s body, or play with that "said" animal’s remains then you have an issue. This person doesn’t sound all together to me to even mention this to you; if he was a hunter he would have just said I hunted animal’s right? I have watched shows on serial killers and they 9 times out of 10 say that the serial killer began killing animals as a child and also mutilated the dead animal’s body. My theory if you show a concern usually there’s a problem....... Be safe and best of luck.

Old 08-18-2011, 10:58 AM

15,440 posts, read 23,476,818 times
Young boys many times do cruel things while they're young. In fact young children lie cheat and steal when they're young, then grow up to be nice, caring, responsible adults.

If we're talking about evil here, read a book called People of the Lie by Scott Peck. He also wrote A Road Less Travelled. He's a strong Christian and a Psychiatrist. In his book, the former, he does a good job of bridging the gap between religion and science. He talks about what evil is and in a sense, it's L-I-V-E spelled backwards. The needless killing of life or killing for non-biological processes can be considered evil.

He starts off asking why there's evil to begin with. He then asks why there's good. It's far more interesting to discuss why that young kid who lied, cheated, and stole became good than to ask why he ever did evil. Evil can come about by simple laziness and narcissism.

Something else common to people who are/become evil is people who lie. The lies cause confusion and they can be so subtle to be hard to detect.

I'd agree with some folks on here that show concern in the way he brings things up now. What's his point in this? Was he once on the path to evil and somehow somewhere down the line changed course?

Where I work, at night I have to go take samples of water and there are many midges and spiders. Moreso in the summer, but there's plenty in the winter too. In the winter, I'd go down and broom up the spider webs and it would seem to solve the problem for a few weeks. Now, there are so many spider webs, that I run into them as I cross the cat-walks and stuff. Nobody else does anything about them and in the summer, brooming the webs only seems to work for a few hours. It has sort of freaked me out and I was killing these spiders whenever I saw them as a threat or when I thought one shouldn't be in my path. The more spiders I killed, the worse I seemed to fear them. Crazy as this sounds, I sort of made a pact with these spiders. I don't kill them, but I avoid them as best I can and let them be. I get along with my job a lot better now. If I see a spider in my direct path, I pull the web back and they usually go the other way. We got it all worked out. I'm sort of looking forward to winter again though.

[CENTER][/CENTER]

Most of that is fear. Fear is not a justification... not any more than narcissism and laziness. Whether goodness is rare or not, I'm fascinated by that and want to pursue it more. But in order to do so, it takes rigorous honesty and that takes work. But it leads to a better life. I hope you have goodness come your way and demand it from those in your immediate space.

Flashforward to VACollegeStudent: I don't know much about the spiders. I'm not a bug person really. To me bugs are like cops. I don't hate them or anything. I just feel better when they're not around.

Last edited by McGowdog; 08-18-2011 at 11:28 AM..

Old 08-18-2011, 11:09 AM

191 posts, read 321,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Young boys many times do cruel things while they're young. In fact young children lie cheat and steal when they're young, then grow up to be nice, caring, responsible adults.

If we're talking about evil here, read a book called People of the Lie by Scott Peck. He also wrote A Road Less Travelled. He's a strong Christian and a Psychiatrist. In his book, the former, he does a good job of bridging the gap between religion and science. He talks about what evil is and in a sense, it's L-I-V-E spelled backwards. The needless killing of life or killing for non-biological processes can be considered evil.

He starts off asking why there's evil to begin with. He then asks why there's good. It's far more interesting to discuss why that young kid who lied, cheated, and stole became good than to ask why he ever did evil. Evil can come about by simple laziness and narcissism.

Something else common to people who are/become evil is people who lie. The lies cause confusion and they can be so subtle to be hard to detect.

I'd agree with some folks on here that show concern in the way he brings things up now. What's his point in this? Was he once on the path to evil and somehow somewhere down the line changed course?

Where I work, at night I have to go take samples of water and there are many midges and spiders. Moreso in the summer, but there's plenty in the winter too. In the winter, I'd go down and broom up the spider webs and it would seem to solve the problem for a few weeks. Now, there are so many spider webs, that I run into them as I cross the cat-walks and stuff. Nobody else does anything about them and in the summer, brooming the webs only seems to work for a few hours. It has sort of freaked me out and I was killing these spiders whenever I saw them as a threat or when I thought one shouldn't be in my path. The more spiders I killed, the worse I seemed to fear them. Crazy as this sounds, I sort of made a pact with these spiders. I don't kill them, but I avoid them as best I can and let them be. I get along with my job a lot better now. If I see a spider in my direct path, I pull the web back and they usually go the other way. We got it all worked out. I'm sort of looking forward to winter again though.

[CENTER][/CENTER]

Most of that is fear. Fear is not a justification... not any more than narcissism and laziness. Whether goodness is rare or not, I'm fascinated by that and want to pursue it more. But in order to do so, it takes rigorous honesty and that takes work. But it leads to a better life. I hope you have goodness come your way and demand it from those in your immediate space.
I love your message and can relate, there is a spider on my door and every morning I open it moves! I am afraid of spiders and usually kill them at first sight, but this spider I choose not to and now everyday I see him or her. I look at it sort of like a pack he kills the mosquitoes by my home and I don’t kill him. I can say however the first sign of mosquitoes or more spiders I am sorry but I am brining out the RAID! I think fear is a bug justification when killing something, but if this person just killed animals for enjoyment then there is an issue. Also btw with spiders I love how caring we are but can the animals reciprocate that? If I see a spider I make a conscience decision not to kill it because it’s not harming me, with spiders they just bite you because they think you are prey correct?
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Old 08-18-2011, 11:35 AM

7,329 posts, read 14,061,025 times
OK, I've started skimming through these responses about young boy cruelty to animals. The fact that this guy has it on his mind enough to bring it up as an adult, out of the blue, is definitely weird. Whether he's ridden with guilt, or can't stop thinking about it for another reason, it's a red flag to me.

Old 08-18-2011, 12:08 PM

8,308 posts, read 35,565,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
OK, I've started skimming through these responses about young boy cruelty to animals. The fact that this guy has it on his mind enough to bring it up as an adult, out of the blue, is definitely weird. Whether he's ridden with guilt, or can't stop thinking about it for another reason, it's a red flag to me.
That's actually a good point.

Old 08-18-2011, 12:09 PM

8,308 posts, read 35,565,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poletop1 View Post
Aesop's Fables

Translated by George Fyler Townsend
The Boys and the Frogs

SOME BOYS, playing near a pond, saw a number of Frogs in the water and began to pelt them with stones. They killed several of them, when one of the Frogs, lifting his head out of the water, cried out: "Pray stop, my boys: what is sport to you, is death to us."
While sport surely played a part, you should try deep fried frog legs as executed by a real Louisiana coon-ass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health