U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 02:54 PM

12,054 posts, read 20,973,145 times

Advertisements

I agree with the others. It appears that the dog may be abused. If you know the dog's vet, please call and just voice some concerns. Personally, I have called the local humane society when I suspected abuse.

You are smart to distance yourself, but please take a few minutes and contact someone to at least check on the dog. You won't have to give your name but believe me, it will give you peace of mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2011, 04:27 PM

1,594 posts, read 2,752,563 times
Red flag.

Old 08-19-2011, 06:40 PM

40 posts, read 127,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by temptation001 View Post
I'm dating a guy who used to kill animals when he was a kid. He says that there was all kinds of animals and that there were many. He also says that he stopped killing animals when he turned into an adult. What am I getting into here? Is this guy nuts? Should I ask him if he stopped killing animals in order to start killing humans? Why would a child kill animals? Please , if anyone knows why a child would kill an animal, or many, why?!
Are you kidding? Get the H--L out of this relationship! NOW!

Old 08-19-2011, 08:01 PM

15,509 posts, read 23,543,639 times
Oh dear... this guy is toast.

If the OPs NSDBF and his roomie gets wind of this thread, they're gonna be south of the border by sundown.

Old 08-19-2011, 08:54 PM

376 posts, read 573,184 times
has he still lit fires and wet the bed?

Old 08-20-2011, 03:44 AM

10,996 posts, read 11,857,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post

I have an older brother who is a very mentally ill paranoid schizophrenic. I was dating a gal who I met about 13 months after the divorce with my first wife. We jumped into a relationship way too fast and moved in together just 2 weeks after first dating. Everything went great for about four months. After that, we weren't doing so well. She seemed very controlling and just downright mean. I took her to my parents house one day and I was nervous because my older brother was there and she would meet him and I didn't know if she would understand his condition too well. He paced the floor a lot, stared into space and said strange things, went outside and smoked a cigarette in about 40 seconds, came back in and slugged down a Dr Pepper, stared at himself in the mirror for a bit, paced the floor and went and sat down. This is sort of his routine. She didn't seem to be bothered by that, but after a while, we got into a huge fight over some stupid thing and she called me some kind of a name. My brother got up, went to the closet, grabbed a broom, gave it to my girlfriend and said, "Here. Fly away."

I'm sorry about your brother. Name-calling, among people who love one another, shouldn't be tolerated in a relationship. I think your brother made a very good point. Kudos to him, for being smart enough to realize this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
All you'd have to do is to anonymously call the Animal Humane Society. Call from a pay phone and you don't need to identify yourself. They will go check things out. Just describing the dog's behavior as you've done in this thread was enough to tip me off. This guy does not have to know it was you. It could have been anyone. Is the dog ever outside or where a neighbor might see him? Stay safe, please steer clear of that guy, and please at some point make that call. You could be saving the dog's life.

The one charity I do every month is the ASPCA (Amer Society of Prevention of Cruelty to Animals). I can't stand the thought of an animal being mistreated. They cannot defend themselves. We, OTOH, can remove ourself from dangerous situations before it's too late. I really do hope you cut off contact with this guy and just make it look good on your end so that he does not suspect it's you making the call. You could be in danger yourself at some point, so run away! Oh, or call the SPCA or ASPCA in your area. They will investigate. That is what their job is. That is where my contribution goes every month - to see that animals are gotten out of abusive situations.

Oh, and I've looked up this link for you:

ASPCA | Reporting Cruelty FAQ
Thank you for the link and the info. At this point, I am curious myself if the dog is okay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
I am a hunter and a farmer and I kill chickens, deer, turkeys, and cattle for food. I will also kill an animal that threatens me or my livestock, or gophers who tear up my pasture, or mice that invade my grain. I have no compunction or guilt about these things.

However, I will not torture an animal, nor kill it just because I can. I have in fact adopted many abused and unwanted animals, and kept them fed, healthy, and happy, even put them to work (as in the case of my current herd dog). IMHO, anyone who does horrible things to innocent animals is a sociopath; does not know and does not care what sort of torture or pain s/he inflicts, and has no respect for either animals or people. They cannot be "loved" into normal behavior; they take other peoples' proffered love and use it to manipulate them and even injure them, just as they will take a cat or dog's innocent loyalty and use it to destroy them. They enjoy causing pain for no other purpose than to empower themselves. These types do not change, cannot change, will not change. Run, don't walk, away. And keep your eyes open - when thwarted, these people can become very dangerous. They do not understand or recognize any emotions other than their own twisted ones of supremacy and self-gratification. They usually enjoy the fear and degradation that they heap upon animals and other humans. RUN.
Thank you for the description of a sociopath. I don't know if this guy is or isn't, but I know someone who is, unfortunately.

Old 08-20-2011, 10:16 AM

5,473 posts, read 9,979,584 times
To the OP: Confront him (in a public place cuz there is a good chance he snaps) and ask what the f**k is going on, what have you done? What did you do to that "bird with a long neck", how many animals have you killed, do you still kill, and why? That should solve the problem.

Old 08-20-2011, 11:08 AM

15,509 posts, read 23,543,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Tell it to the victims of Ted Bundy or Jeffrey Dahmer.
I don't need to tell anything to the victims of Ted Bundy or Jeffrey Dahmer. I need look no further than my wife's family, as they are the victims of a brutal murder that happened when she was 6. I will not get into the details of that here for several reasons, but I know how a devastating event can change several generations of a family, the lingering fear, rage, resentment, and disgust in the judicial system.

But these folks will not let it eat them up anymore. They refuse to let the actions of an individual to wreck what peace they may experience today nor taint the good memories of the tortured and deceased beloved family member who is no longer with them.

They say that they don't want to hate and resent this guy either... so much as they just want him to one day come up to them and say, "I did this. I'm sorry. I was wrong."

Hell is as much a state of being as a place. It is the culmination of the lower ego states of consciousness which block out the reality of who we are; shame guilt apathy grief fear desire anger pride on the low end... and courage neutrality willingness acceptance reason love joy peace and enlightenment on the high end.

But we need to call out the C.I.A. and get this guy in the ground? Or we need to do some running? What would be nice is to shed some light on the whole truth and bring this guy towards healing or at least let him stand in judgement of what he's done so he doesn't go unchecked and move on to the next relationship. Maybe it's a cry for help. IDK.

Old 08-20-2011, 11:14 AM

4,527 posts, read 7,675,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
. . . IMHO, anyone who does horrible things to innocent animals is a sociopath; does not know and does not care what sort of torture or pain s/he inflicts, and has no respect for either animals or people. . . ..
You are partially right SCGranny. Many sociopaths are cruel toward animals but there is a flipside to that statement. I worked in a Maximum Security prison for ten years. During that time I worked on Death Row and around many that were truly Sociopaths. Some of them did exhibit cruel behavior to animals but many of the worst of the murderers showed kindness toward the animals they were around. On our prison yard many of the inmates fed bread crumbs etc to the ground squirrels and birds on the yard. One notorious murderer had tamed ground squirrels enough that he could pick them up. One trait that SOME of the real sociopaths had that was really disturbing was there ability to engage in violent behavior with no outward show of emotions. A lot of our violent offenders displayed anger and you could tell that they posed a threat. The truly scary inmates were the ones that kept calm and showed no outward sign of danger but they would kill without warning. Those were the ones that gave you nightmares.

GL2

Old 08-21-2011, 02:08 PM

4,178 posts, read 9,747,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
But we need to call out the C.I.A. and get this guy in the ground? Or we need to do some running? What would be nice is to shed some light on the whole truth and bring this guy towards healing or at least let him stand in judgement of what he's done so he doesn't go unchecked and move on to the next relationship. Maybe it's a cry for help. IDK.
McGowdog, I understand your perspective with violence being done to your family. But on your latter statement quoted above I must take issue. First, 'bringing this guy towards healing' cannot be done by a non-professional; for one to try to attempt to do such a thing can not only screw up the attempted redemption totally, but can cause the guy to snap. Second, many types of sociopaths can be particularly good at pretending regret and remorse, while drawing their 'healer' in emotionally to emotionally manipulate and do more damage to them - or use them as a 'cover'. Unless the OP is a professional, she not only risks damaging this person further by trying to 'help', but endangering herself, or falling victim to his false regret and manipulation.

The latter is what happens when girlfriends/spouses are wrapped up with these types; they have been so bamboozled by his lies that, even when they are arrested as serial killers/child molesters etc, they insist that "He couldn't have done that!"

A fella I grew up and was friends with was 'a little strange' when we were kids; I was naive and thought nothing of it. One day, 5 years after I last saw him, he called me up out of the clear blue and asked if I wanted to come down and visit him in New Orleans. I was divorced and living in OH, and said, sure. I drove down there to spend a week. While I was there, it came out that he had been arrested and was out on bail for molesting a girl scout who came to his door selling cookies. He expressed his regret, said he needed help, and begged me to quit my job and stay with him to 'prove' he was normal. Well, after about four days, I could tell he WAS NOT 'normal' and that he was trying to use me as a cover. His regret and sudden burgeoning affection for me were all a ruse to keep himself from being convicted. When I told him I was going home, thanks, good luck, he threw me into a chair, grabbed my suitcase and purse, and locked them in his garage. He told me I WAS STAYING, HE NEEDED ME. I agreed, and talked with him about our friendship, our history, how we needed each other, how lonely I had been, etc til he calmed down. He went to the store to get more food for the weekend, and I broke into his garage, got my stuff, loaded it into my car and was GONE in less than 10 minutes. I didn't stop driving for 8 hours. I never saw or heard from him again, athough he WAS convicted, lost his job as an engineer, etc. I found out later that his brother had spent time in Federal prison for molesting little boys as well. The whole thing terrified me and creeped me out. I have met several of his ilk since, and steer a wide path around them. Even a smile or a friendly wave can be misinterpreted by those types.

I was lucky. Many are not. If you think that they can be loved back into decency or morality, or convinced that their actions should be confessed and can be redeemed, hey, more power to you. I hope that you never find out otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health