Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 12:23 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,861,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by temptation001 View Post
I'm dating a guy who used to kill animals when he was a kid. He says that there was all kinds of animals and that there were many. He also says that he stopped killing animals when he turned into an adult. What am I getting into here? Is this guy nuts? Should I ask him if he stopped killing animals in order to start killing humans? Why would a child kill animals? Please , if anyone knows why a child would kill an animal, or many, why?!
Was he killing these animals just for the thrill or killing them for food? I remember helping my Mother catch and kill chickens to put on the table or freezer when I was about four years old. Someone that has lived in a city all of their life sees things in a different way than someone who has lived in the country.

GL2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2011, 12:38 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,861,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
Many a fine hour was spent over fire ant beds with a magnifying glass. A friend of mine had a copy of the anarchist's cookbook and we made pipe bombs, napalm, "thermite" (which actually works really well in conjunction with a magnesium shaving block - it's a wonder we didn't kill ourselves and all of us have ten fingers), rudimentary black powder (which didn't work very well, but we had access to lots of Hogdon Clays shotgun powder), we built M60 launchers, made silencers for them and all manner of things that would have landed us on the Homeland Security watch list in modern America. Just boys.

We used to stun bullfrogs in a pond with cherry bombs and, when we didn't have cherry bombs, would pick 'em off with a Benjamin .22 pellet gun. My friend's grandmother lived with his parents and was a bona fide Louisiana coon ass. She would actually get excited when we came home with a basket of frogs and profanely wonder out loud why her boys couldn't get frogs when they were young.

How about the Calcium Carbide/sugar/Potassium Nitrate and dry sand bombs you mixed in old Coca Cola syrup jugs to use in fishing? When I was a teenager a buddy and I had just dropped one of these bombs off a bridge and were waiting for it to go off when a Deputy Sheriff drives up. Waiting for him to leave seemed like an eternity. About ten seconds after he left our jug blew up. We filled our gunny sack up and left as quickly as we could. About a week later I saw the same Deputy and he asked me if I had any luck fishing lately. We live in a different world now.

GL2

Old 08-18-2011, 03:04 PM

2,289 posts, read 5,772,216 times
You boys can proudly relate your "fun" stories. However, here are a few names of criminals who abused animals as a child:

Theodore Robert Bundy
Jeffery Dahmer
Richard Speck
Albert De Sola...aka The Boston Strangler
David Berkowitz...aka Son Of Satan

Henry Lee Lucas...he not only killed animals, he had sex with their corpes. As an adult he
killed his mother and wife, and, a bunch of unknown others. He was a real fun guy!

Michael Catier..Shot Kristin Lardner in the head 3 times.

Christine Felling...By the age of 19, she had murdered 5 children.

Edward Kemperer...Killed his grandparents, his mother and 7 other women.

Animal cruelty is a warning sign that an individual is not mentally healthy and his/her behavior, past or present should not be taken lightly.

Old 08-18-2011, 03:10 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,911,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
Me, my brother and the boys in the neighbourhood back in India.... firecrackers are the best pastime for the age group of 6-12. It's quite common in Southern India.

We would catch snakes, garden lizards and chameleons and put the firecracker in their mouths and run away watching them burst into pieces.

Immense sport, but obviously we all grew out of it. We shake our heads today, but no regrets. Did that mean we would grow up into psychos??

And don't forget killing hairy spiders, scorpions, cobras.... all for sport. Killing scorpions was a particularly revenge filled sport as scorpions are abhorred in the country owing to their sting and how they kill people. In my coconut groves, there would be scorpions as big as my adult foot and with hair on them..... of course, killing these would be a special achievement for the youth.

We were mean boys alright, but it's all part of a colourful youth.
I did similar stuff with frogs and snakes. Had games called 'frog stomp' and 'atomic splash'. The former involved stomping on groups of small toads, the other was throwing them into trees or the pavement. Sure, I keep mother in the attic, but other than that I hold down a 9-5 like most others.

Old 08-18-2011, 03:12 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,766,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
How about the Calcium Carbide/sugar/Potassium Nitrate and dry sand bombs you mixed in old Coca Cola syrup jugs to use in fishing? When I was a teenager a buddy and I had just dropped one of these bombs off a bridge and were waiting for it to go off when a Deputy Sheriff drives up. Waiting for him to leave seemed like an eternity. About ten seconds after he left our jug blew up. We filled our gunny sack up and left as quickly as we could. About a week later I saw the same Deputy and he asked me if I had any luck fishing lately. We live in a different world now.

GL2
I got in a lot of trouble for a drano/tin foil bomb when I was 10 or 11. It's actually pretty impressive if you close one in a mailbox, but BE PATIENT. It would be easy to think it wasn't working and go check on it right before detonation.

Aluminum Drano Bomb - YouTube

Old 08-18-2011, 03:19 PM

1,739 posts, read 1,915,093 times
Police think 3 boys kicked, stabbed cat before it died | Statesman Journal | statesmanjournal.com

This happened in my town. I live in pure redneck city. It makes me sick the comments making light of the matter and even making excuses for the feral brats.

One commentator actually said that 9 year olds couldn't be expected to know any better.

Old 08-18-2011, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandon View Post
Police think 3 boys kicked, stabbed cat before it died | Statesman Journal | statesmanjournal.com

This happened in my town. I live in pure redneck city. It makes me sick the comments making light of the matter and even making excuses for the feral brats.

One commentator actually said that 9 year olds couldn't be expected to know any better.
That's what I'm talking about as "suspect behavior". Most of the time boys are just boys, but there are bad kids too.

Old 08-18-2011, 03:36 PM

4,526 posts, read 6,084,230 times
blowing up small animals as a young boy or experimenting making small bombs is not healthy childhood behavior and those that did may think they are okay,but i wonder bout how they handle stress or anxiety now with humans and how is their attitude to any living things big or small-----even hunters,in most cases,humanely kill the animals they hunt

Old 08-18-2011, 03:45 PM

5,452 posts, read 11,246,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by temptation001 View Post
I'm dating a guy who used to kill animals when he was a kid. He says that there was all kinds of animals and that there were many. He also says that he stopped killing animals when he turned into an adult. What am I getting into here? Is this guy nuts? Should I ask him if he stopped killing animals in order to start killing humans? Why would a child kill animals? Please , if anyone knows why a child would kill an animal, or many, why?!
Start to observe how he behaves around your pets. Does they make him nervous or anxious, or does he show tenderness and pet them as normal humans do?

Old 08-18-2011, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntieannie68 View Post
blowing up small animals as a young boy or experimenting making small bombs is not healthy childhood behavior and those that did may think they are okay,but i wonder bout how they handle stress or anxiety now with humans and how is their attitude to any living things big or small-----even hunters,in most cases,humanely kill the animals they hunt
I would say that mechanical experimentation, feeling around for "the line", general pleasure seeking and inventive solutions to boredom are, indeed, normal childhood behavior and that intent must be weighed in the evaluation of "healthiness".

Making a bomb out of a 3 liter coke bottle just to hear the boom is not the same as making a bomb to cause injury or significant property damage in the same way that toilet papering a house is not the same as malicious vandalism and in the same way that hunting is distinct from kicking and stabbing a cat to death. It can't be black and white.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health