Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 01:04 PM

1,011 posts, read 1,257,041 times

Advertisements

I have a nice collection of bully texts. I especially like those which want to kill me. I save them because of just in case if someone one day cannot resist anymore, polices have a nice file to read. Pick your guilty, lol...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2012, 01:13 PM

6,793 posts, read 5,658,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiippaKiwi View Post
I have a nice collection of bully texts. I especially like those which want to kill me. I save them because of just in case if someone one day cannot resist anymore, polices have a nice file to read. Pick your guilty, lol...
Seriously? Someone has sent you 'BULLY' texts?
What age are these texters? Because, honestly.. if someone sent me a text of such nature I would head straight for the Police station..

Old 02-09-2012, 10:58 PM

1,011 posts, read 1,257,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
Seriously? Someone has sent you 'BULLY' texts?
What age are these texters? Because, honestly.. if someone sent me a text of such nature I would head straight for the Police station..

You must know that nobody cares if no one died yet.

Old 02-09-2012, 11:08 PM

8,827 posts, read 7,324,790 times
I was never bullied in all the years I worked in factories and so on in the US but now I came back to the country I grew up in and was bullied at work! I was dumbfound as I see myself as assertive and not a pushover, not afraid to tell it like it is...I really was thrown for a loop because one would think it would have happened in the US where I was a "foreigner" and maybe less sure of myself, especially when I first got there. Now I'm not working but dread the day I ever have to work again...I really have no clue how to deal with it or prevent it. Do you just start out on your first day by being loud and obnoxious and act a fool or what? I guess it really has to do with feeling good in your skin and I don't feel that here...

Old 02-09-2012, 11:25 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,962,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
I remember being bullied in school a lot, the last time occurred my first year of College. But by then I had been working out at a gym my last year of high school and by the time college rolled around I had gained a ton of self confidence, some would have called me a redneck... It was then that I realized how cowardly bullies really were.. This guy from college, who was nearly twice my size, started to bully me the first week.... When I made it clear to him that under no circumstance would I stand for his antics he cowered and moved on to another prey. That was the first time I had ever stood up to a bully, every time prior to that I just played the part of the LACKEY. That's been almost 25 years ago and I can't remember encountering a bully since. I also don't remember noticing anyone else getting bullied. I am sure I have but it doesn't come to mind.

At the risk of sounding naive, I guess I always associated bullying with school aged kids and not adults. It saddens me to hear that bullying continues into adulthood. Maybe that's why I haven't noticed it in my 25 years in the workforce that and the fact that adult bullies are probably a little more discreet about their antics.

Now that I have school aged kids, I worry that they may be the victim of a bully someday or even worse, they would be the bully. I don't think they would bully anyone.. I think that trait is probably something taught by a parent, but I am not so sure.. I think I would be more angry if my child was the bully vs the victim of a bully, hopefully I never have to find out.
Our oldest daughter was overweight when she she was in elementary school and she was tortured by the other kids. It hurts. I was in the grocery store with my children and going down the dairy aisle and a mother with her own daughter literally pointed at my daughter and said something and they both started laughing and giggling. I told my three kids to go over to the next aisle and pick out a loaf of bread ... I took my grocery cart and straight down that aisle into the front of the woman's cart. I asked her if she had a problem with my daughter ... I was blocking her in she couldn't escape. She did not respond to my question. I asked her if she was proud of what she was teaching her young daughter to make fun of other kids. Still no response. This lady was pure red and daughter was too I embarrassed them so bad. They walked around their shopping cart and left the store.

Our daughter lost the weight but still to this day fights a weight problem but I just had enough when I confronted the woman and her daughter.

I never worked with women, I always worked with men and never had any bullying problems. I wasn't aware this went on in the workplace either. It seems adults would grow out of that foolishness.

Old 02-10-2012, 01:55 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
We are having a training this week where I work, on "lateral violence"...another name for work place bullying. Maybe people in charge are beginning to realize this is an issue...

Old 02-10-2012, 06:23 PM
'M'

1,956 posts, read 3,200,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieZ View Post
I was never bullied in all the years I worked in factories and so on in the US but now I came back to the country I grew up in and was bullied at work! I was dumbfound as I see myself as assertive and not a pushover, not afraid to tell it like it is...I really was thrown for a loop because one would think it would have happened in the US where I was a "foreigner" and maybe less sure of myself, especially when I first got there. Now I'm not working but dread the day I ever have to work again...I really have no clue how to deal with it or prevent it. Do you just start out on your first day by being loud and obnoxious and act a fool or what? I guess it really has to do with feeling good in your skin and I don't feel that here...
Maggie, your post puts a new perspective on this subject because after you left and returned to the U.S., it was so obvious to you that life in the US had changed.

As far as feeling good in your skin...isn't that how all of us want to feel? Except for the bullies.

Sometimes I'll start looking at history and people, wondering how it is that bullies have flourished and increased in number. Is it radiation fallout, is it in the water, is it a product of capitalism or of the sixties? OK, I'm just kidding...but seriously, does anyone have any ideas on the subject? Why has bullying, sociopathic/psychopathic, narcissistic behavior increased over the past 30-40 years? This might make a good thesis topic. Maybe some of you think it hasn't increased...why or why not?

(Quote) Jasper 12: We are having a training this week where I work, on "lateral violence"...another name for work place bullying. The people in charge must be realizing this is an important issue...

Jasper, maybe you won't be able to say, but curiosity is getting the better of me...wondering which field you work in that is focusing on 'lateral violence'? I'm impressed with an organization that is scheduling this kind of training.

Last edited by 'M'; 02-10-2012 at 06:36 PM..

Old 02-10-2012, 08:20 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
I work in a hospital. And bullying interferes with paitient care. Nurses and social workers are knowm for being notorious bullies. In addition to doctors bullying other doctors.

Old 02-10-2012, 09:47 PM

8,827 posts, read 7,324,790 times
it's sad how grownups are bullying other grownups, it's gotten worse as people are more insecure about their jobs and the shortage of jobs makes people doubt their own abilities. I understand what makes a bully but just have no clue as to what to do about it.
Confronting the bully, going to the boss, going outside the company to get help, nothing helped in my case and I ended up leaving the job.
In my case the bully was treated badly as a child by her mother while her dad sat by and said nothing, he probably was bullied too...she has a learning disability which probably adds to her insecurity...so maybe lashing out at someone before they get you, feeling others are automatically a threat is part of it...

Old 02-11-2012, 06:59 AM

4,164 posts, read 6,312,593 times
My parents sent me to Catholic schools. My 5th grade teacher (a nun) could be a bully. And she favored the kids who "kissed-up" to her in class. (This was back in 1958 or so!)...I knew something was wrong. Eventually I described her behavior to my parents. My parents asked for a conference with my teacher and the principal to discuss the problems. The teacher had to "tone it down" after that. Of course she hated me but she had to be halfway nice to me and everyone to avoid getting in trouble again...Back then I felt comfortable talking to my parents about things. I knew they would listen and take my concerns seriously. If I ran into a problem with a friend they helped me figure out what was "wrong." My longtime childhood friend had become "hot and cold" and moody with me. She was "nasty" to everyone at times including her parents. My Mom explained that her parents had trouble saying "no" to her because they found out they couldn't have any more kids. (And they really wanted to have more kids.)...I was an only child too but my parents always said that they didn't want to spoil me and turn me into a brat or "monster." (If they could help it!)...I wasn't allowed to be a "drama queen" in my house. My parents expected me to show respect for them. But my friend could say anything she wanted to her parents and "get away with it." There were no "checks and balances."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health