Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2015, 09:49 AM

1,921 posts, read 1,741,643 times

Advertisements

These past few months, I have been experiencing strange feelings.

I moved out of my parents house at 18 and spent most of my early twenties traveling (studied in two different countries, travelled to various locations for the summer, worked abroad ...). I gained experience in my two fields of interest (fashion and corporate finance). I turned 25 and something shifted.

Unfortunately, my experience in fashion has been quite negative, so I have decided to drop the idea altogether. I am now pursuing the bar-examination track.

The problem is that I feel bored with life in general. People bore me. Looking for an internship/job bores me to the point where I don't even try. Meeting new people bores me.

I used to thrive for experiences abroad, now I simply don't care. I was quite an ambitious person before and now I'm simply doing nothing all day. I don't even feel compelled to work or thrive for something. This is extremely bizarre. My life has been stagnant for weeks which I absolutely despise. I'm not sure what is happening. I'm sort of "numb" to my surroundings. I'm literally blank.

Any idea about why I am feeling this "blank"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2015, 11:22 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,892,275 times
It sounds like classic depression. Many people experiencing depression don't feel "sad", but rather "blank".

Another option is if you are taking SSRIs. For some, using anti depressant medications cause a very blah/blank feeling.

Old 12-04-2015, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
It sounds like classic depression. Many people experiencing depression don't feel "sad", but rather "blank".

Another option is if you are taking SSRIs. For some, using anti depressant medications cause a very blah/blank feeling.
I'm not taking any sort of medication.

Old 12-04-2015, 02:52 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,892,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostinPhilly View Post
How's your sleep? Appetite? Have you lost interest in fun activities? Are you active in your previous hobbies?

Maybe try this
Self Tests by Psychology Today

Old 12-04-2015, 07:06 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,370,668 times
It might not be a sign that there's any clinical mood issue... it could just be a normal mood variation. Maybe you're feeling somewhat burnt out, or jaded, or perhaps you're experiencing some existential awareness at a new level. Maybe it's ennui, or weltschmerz, or world-weariness.

Old 12-05-2015, 10:27 PM

95 posts, read 161,305 times
Quote:
These past few months, I have been experiencing strange feelings.

I moved out of my parents house at 18 and spent most of my early twenties traveling (studied in two different countries, travelled to various locations for the summer, worked abroad ...). I gained experience in my two fields of interest (fashion and corporate finance). I turned 25 and something shifted.

Unfortunately, my experience in fashion has been quite negative, so I have decided to drop the idea altogether. I am now pursuing the bar-examination track.

The problem is that I feel bored with life in general. People bore me. Looking for an internship/job bores me to the point where I don't even try. Meeting new people bores me.

I used to thrive for experiences abroad, now I simply don't care. I was quite an ambitious person before and now I'm simply doing nothing all day. I don't even feel compelled to work or thrive for something. This is extremely bizarre. My life has been stagnant for weeks which I absolutely despise. I'm not sure what is happening. I'm sort of "numb" to my surroundings. I'm literally blank.

Any idea about why I am feeling this "blank"?
I felt the same way after turning 26 a few years ago. I think a lot of people start feeling this way in their late 20s. For me, I think it was knowing how certain a mundane future was in store for me. Being young is exciting because there is always the sense that the future will have bigger and better things in store. Once you hit late 20s, you realize the future probably is just going to be one long march of sameness. I guess that's why most people try to solve these feelings by getting married and raising kids.

I don't know how to resolve these feelings. I don't think what other people are suggesting (pills and stuff) is a solution, you aren't suicidal so that stuff probably isn't necessary.

I'm still figuring it out myself. It got better for me once I quit my job and moved out of NYC and traveled a bit. After a year of traveling, the same feelings returned. I'm currently planning a move in the next 2 months to LA to pursue a creative interest as a career. Maybe you just need an interest or a new career that lights your fire? I'm financially independent so I can pursue a creative interest from scratch, so I don't recommend you just throwing your job away to do what you want, but maybe you can pick up an interest again (something maybe you loved doing as a child) and do it part time?

You can still take the bar and be a practicing lawyer, while taking another job or activity on nights and weekends.

Old 12-09-2015, 03:40 AM

10,363 posts, read 20,805,729 times
Sometimes that feeling comes when you're getting ready to shift to a new level in your life but you're not sure what your next move should be.

Old 12-09-2015, 03:48 AM

7,276 posts, read 5,288,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
It might not be a sign that there's any clinical mood issue... it could just be a normal mood variation. Maybe you're feeling somewhat burnt out, or jaded, or perhaps you're experiencing some existential awareness at a new level. Maybe it's ennui, or weltschmerz, or world-weariness.
This was the first though that came to my mind. I experienced this once due to a job.

When I burnt out, I was in zombieland for months with absolutely no emotion, no care, no ability to do much of anything. In my case, that feeling wore off, no different than if I ran a marathon and the body needed weeks to recover.

Old 12-09-2015, 03:58 AM

Thank you all!

I don't think these are the symptoms of depression. I experienced a deep depression about two years ago and this episode is nothing like what I experienced then.

I believe I have become jaded, indeed. I mean, I feel as though my life isn't moving forward at all. It's been stuck for about 6 months now. I have yet to find an open door whether it's job-wise or on a personal level. I have no real interest in future prospects anymore because every single one of my fairly realistic plans fell apart. When the plans which caused you to be driven before don't come to fruition, it's hard to keep on keeping on.

Old 12-09-2015, 04:54 AM

761 posts, read 833,211 times
Quote:
You're not an Eagles fan are you?
I am and I need medication to get through most of their lousy games.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health