Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 05:59 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,290,114 times

Advertisements

Well, I am not a smoker, but I work in Internal Meds...Our drs have begun to rx it widely. Pts have also begun to ask for it alot as well.

One thing...insurance doesn't always cover it. The thing is...it is usually the big names...BCBS etc...you pay so much for your insurance and they do everything to not cover you for things.

I see it every day in this business. One of the things I don't like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2008, 03:21 PM

1 posts, read 3,758 times
Default Chantix

Quote:
Originally Posted by widget1970 View Post
Has anyone tried the Chantix prescription stop smoking pill? I was wondering if it really worked and how much, if any, weight you gained? I would like to try it but I just don't want to gain a bunch of weight.
Yes, I started the end of Dec., 07. You can smoke with the Chantix the first week, it's gradual, you really don't want to smoke that much. I was smoke free 3 months, then things started happening, (excuse) to start smoking again).
The only thing I didn't NOT like about Chantix is: I had dreams, nightmares every night. Sometimes I would get nauseated, but ate something, drank a lot of water, which helps. Go on their site and read all the side affects before you start. Everyone's different. I did not gain weight, I kept exercising, drinking water as I normally do. It will work, but stop smoking is a "mind thing". You still have to really want to quit, I thought I did.
P

Old 10-17-2008, 06:26 PM

12,626 posts, read 31,979,609 times
My hubby used it. The only complaint he had was it was making him nauseous. He used it for about 2 months than stopped. Unfortunately, he's smoking again. It did work while he used it. I'm sure it will work for others as long as you follow through with it.

Old 10-18-2008, 04:03 PM

16,009 posts, read 21,025,382 times
My ex, his bro, his mom and dad all started Chantix together. I don't know if doing it as a family was part of the key to their sucess, but the entire bunch just celebrated their first smoke free year.

Old 10-19-2008, 08:16 AM

2,178 posts, read 9,563,767 times
My boss used it to quit and has been smoke free for over a year. He was a really heavy smoker and tried to quit many times before, gained the weight and went back to smoking. This time, he monitored his weight daily and for the first year, he stayed at his normal weight. Recently he has gained a few pounds which has him really worried.. THREE pounds and he is worried! He only used it for 3 months and recently admittied he tried smoking 1 and he was so disgusted with himself for doing it that he will never do it again.

My son in law also used it to quit and has never looked back. Has not gained any weight. My daughter tried it but became so cross and aggitated that she gave up and went back to smoking.

Old 10-20-2008, 08:23 AM

1,731 posts, read 4,675,188 times
The nausea really is brutal. That has been the worst part for me. The crazy dreams I actually enjoy. I have only had a couple of nightmares. The rest have been pretty fun.

Old 10-08-2018, 01:57 PM

1 posts, read 638 times
Default Chantix

Firstly..I didn't read the directions. I opted to listen to others and all I focused on was "You can smoke while you take it". I was up to at least 1 pack a day. I got the script a week of Memorial Day. I'd also heard one of the side effects was a short fuse and since I babysit 2 of my 12 grandkids 2 to 3 days a week, I figured it was a great time to start. I was going on vacation with one of my sons, his wife and their child and they quickly poo-pooed the idea because the last thing THEY wanted was a bitchy mom/grandmom. Soooo...two days before I had to start watching the kids, and after vacay, I started. Fast forward 3 weeks...I had forgotten about a week's worth of pills. (After the first week you take 2 a day) RHIS was when I decided to read the directions to see what they suggested to do when you miss a dose which is when I saw I was only supposed to a) smoke for one week, or b) keep smoking and pick a target date. Week FIVE, and mind you, I was NOT supposed to HAVE a week five but I did because I had forgotten 7 doses,I just didn't want to smoke. I'm Not professing to be a great tribute to Chantix, but I'm still smoke free AND still DESIRE free. OH! And I had to silly dreams, and lost my crap once.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health