Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2016, 08:09 AM

1,423 posts, read 1,394,207 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
My mom is Bi-polar but she admits it. She also has highs and lows. She has medications for this but says they don't work or she stops taking them because she said they make her feel like a zombie. She still works and is retiring in a few months. She on meds for Asthma, anxiety, depression and HBP.. It's not something to take lightly. I know it's an old post but how does the OP know these women are Bi-polar? Is he a doctor? My husband is also Bi-polar but it's type 2 and he's on Zoloft which has helped.Does anyone else feel like their meds are making them feel like zombies and out of it??
I think you can tell someone has some sort of "mental problem" when you see the "episode". A professional will know for sure, but there are signs you are not dealing with a normal anger issue.

Usually when you listen closely you can see and hear some thing that defy logic.

In the case of the OP, I think the last women told him she was diagnosed.

In my case, it´s my conclusion, no I am not a doctor, but all signs point to that.

What if the alleged bipolar never goes to the doctor? Then the illness doesn´t exist?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2016, 02:12 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,257,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
My mom is Bi-polar but she admits it. She also has highs and lows. She has medications for this but says they don't work or she stops taking them because she said they make her feel like a zombie. She still works and is retiring in a few months. She on meds for Asthma, anxiety, depression and HBP.. It's not something to take lightly. I know it's an old post but how does the OP know these women are Bi-polar? Is he a doctor? My husband is also Bi-polar but it's type 2 and he's on Zoloft which has helped.Does anyone else feel like their meds are making them feel like zombies and out of it??
Partly because of health reasons, and partly because I didn't feel anything at all, I backed out of meds. The health part was that with past surgeries, and unresolved problems from them, I had been told before I can NOT gain weight. The p docs ignored me. They even ignored the lab test my medical doctor did showing my liver was showing damage. He said it 'wasn't that bad'.

I also felt like lift had no meaning. My hobby is writing and crafts. There's this space you go in both where you can see all the parts and how they work together, but you have to detach from the stuff around you and allow yourself to see. I couldn't. These are passions in my life and without the satisfaction from them I felt like nothing. I cut back the meds in very small incriments, and over months. But I started to feel like I was home again, not something like the idea some doctor thinks matters.

And guess what? I can *have* down times, when I feel sad, when I keep waiting for some other something to fall. But I can shut them down too, like I could before meds, since I, me, the real person inside was strong enough.

I will never take psych meds again. What they buried were my natural rescue skills. I have discovered when some drama is playing out in your head, let it finish. Know it will and when it does consider what it was trying to tell you. The thing is, if something is teasing you, some fear, then its doesn't count if a pill erases it, or someone 'rescues' you. Only if you acknowledge it and deal with it inside you will it now wait in the dark and come back.

Old 06-17-2016, 03:55 PM

Support

Top 10 Ways to Support Your Partner With Bipolar Disorder - Bipolar Disorder

Old 06-17-2016, 04:09 PM

2,851 posts, read 2,301,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
I have dated some in the past and it ALWAYS turned out the same. They are awesome at first, have such a great outgoing attitude, funny, cute and very sexual. All traits I adore, but after a while they turn into my worst nightmare. They become elusive, abusive and cheat. They also always seem to be the most professional manipulators and liars. The reason I am writing this post is because I recently met another one of those types. She's stunningly beautiful but she scares the cr@p out of me. She knows how to talk things up and give me high hopes, but I don't think I can trust her as far as I can throw her at this point. She tells me things about how she has had only abusive relationships and now she is ready for a simpler more "normal" life, which I know I can give to her if she is accepting to it since I have a career and own a home, which she says is what she wants. I just have this gut feeling that is eating my stomach alive, that what she says is just too good to be true. I am basing that on my past experiences with the same types of women, I do know, that just maybe she is being sincere. Sometimes I think I'm the crazy one because I seem to attract these types and fall for them for the excitement they bring, but that has always been in the short term. So what to do, RUN RUN RUN or wait and see how things work out? Most advice I see is to run as far away as possible, but I am REALLY attracted to her. Thanks for any advice.
RUN - don't walk. Bad, bad, bad news. Unless you're hoping to get in and out quickly, pardon the pun..

Oops sorry, the original post is 5 year old... hope everything turned out OK and the OP still has all of his body parts...

Old 06-19-2016, 02:41 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,386,497 times
I am a woman that has bipolar affective disorder and yes it is a roller coaster ride. My experience is mostly the depressive side of it and rarely with in the manic or hyper stage but if that comes on I don't go crazy hot with no sleep for days of partying, drinking, spending etc. Manics do not want to take their medication because they believe they are all better and don't need it. The medication is incorrect in those cases and should be re-examined.
It is difficult to hear what men are saying but even worse to hear HOW men are saying things especially using women for strictly sexual purposes.
Having said all that I understand why anyone of you would run away. I think it is wise to cut it off after the first date. But it is wrong to use these women (or mentally healthy women) for your own gratification.

Old 06-20-2016, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
I am a woman that has bipolar affective disorder and yes it is a roller coaster ride. My experience is mostly the depressive side of it and rarely with in the manic or hyper stage but if that comes on I don't go crazy hot with no sleep for days of partying, drinking, spending etc. Manics do not want to take their medication because they believe they are all better and don't need it. The medication is incorrect in those cases and should be re-examined.
It is difficult to hear what men are saying but even worse to hear HOW men are saying things especially using women for strictly sexual purposes.
Having said all that I understand why anyone of you would run away. I think it is wise to cut it off after the first date. But it is wrong to use these women (or mentally healthy women) for your own gratification.

Actually in my case, it was the other way around.

I wanted a REAL relationship, I thought I was with a solid woman, someone with values and with morals, not asking for saint but I was under the impression I was with a "normal" sensitive woman...all of the sudden this monster appears.

Yes, it was tough, sad and I still cannot believe it. Such a wonderful woman can be all of the sudden distant, cold and unforgiving.

Reality check is...you cannot win with a bipolar who is not aware of the problem, let alone seeking for help.

Living in denial is a classic for them.

Old 06-25-2016, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummagumma View Post
RUN - don't walk. Bad, bad, bad news. Unless you're hoping to get in and out quickly, pardon the pun..

Oops sorry, the original post is 5 year old... hope everything turned out OK and the OP still has all of his body parts...

Best advice...EVER!!!

It´s sad but a terrible truth. My respect to all of those who takes matters into hand and seek for help...real help.

If they are not into treatment (usually cycholotimia doesn´t get a diagnosis) watch out!!!

Old 07-09-2016, 11:26 AM

263 posts, read 230,811 times
I have experience with women who suffer from this disorder...yes the real one....suicide attempts, medication especially lithium... etc.

I did meet another JUST the other day and got my hopes up very high after an extremely fun and successful 'first date'....her intially reminding me of another from my past. (obviously ''should have known better'' if i wanted to avoid emotional pain... but wanted the ''good parts'' of the experience again *shrug* plus it's like you learn with experience, sometimes you need to repeat mistakes...we are all insane in some way)

I did get very disappointed when things went from very good to very bad very quickly, but I hold myself accountable and am not going to suffer over it. I did start deluding myself into thinking "i can help her! she's going to be my girlfriend!" alas I now sincerely doubt that this will ever happen with this individual and I'm about to pick myself back up and try with others.

It is difficult to find someone with whom I can have (up to my standard) a 'great/insightful' conversation who is also going to stick by me and 'be emotionally stable'.

I have found some more 'emotionally stable' girls who had interest in me but I could not get into the 'dull' way they see things/talk about things juxtaposed to my own 'eccentricity' which runs with the reason I am so attracted to girls who suffer from this severe mental illness....even more crucial for me than the kinkiness is the interesting flow of conversations and variety of subject matter...

What's key is the awareness that there are many many other potential romantic/sexual partners out there and that it is entirely possible to find someone who is more 'well-rounded' to your liking.

THANKS CITY-DATA! ^_^

Old 07-10-2016, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelmarvaNative_inCO View Post
I have experience with women who suffer from this disorder...yes the real one....suicide attempts, medication especially lithium... etc.

I did meet another JUST the other day and got my hopes up very high after an extremely fun and successful 'first date'....her intially reminding me of another from my past. (obviously ''should have known better'' if i wanted to avoid emotional pain... but wanted the ''good parts'' of the experience again *shrug* plus it's like you learn with experience, sometimes you need to repeat mistakes...we are all insane in some way)

I did get very disappointed when things went from very good to very bad very quickly, but I hold myself accountable and am not going to suffer over it. I did start deluding myself into thinking "i can help her! she's going to be my girlfriend!" alas I now sincerely doubt that this will ever happen with this individual and I'm about to pick myself back up and try with others.

It is difficult to find someone with whom I can have (up to my standard) a 'great/insightful' conversation who is also going to stick by me and 'be emotionally stable'.

I have found some more 'emotionally stable' girls who had interest in me but I could not get into the 'dull' way they see things/talk about things juxtaposed to my own 'eccentricity' which runs with the reason I am so attracted to girls who suffer from this severe mental illness....even more crucial for me than the kinkiness is the interesting flow of conversations and variety of subject matter...

What's key is the awareness that there are many many other potential romantic/sexual partners out there and that it is entirely possible to find someone who is more 'well-rounded' to your liking.

THANKS CITY-DATA! ^_^
"The White Knight" Syndrome, been there...is just another "self lie".

Yes, sometimes the "roller coaster" is fun, but when it becomes dangerous for your own sanity...better stop it.

Old 07-11-2016, 08:27 AM

263 posts, read 230,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skywalker2014 View Post
"The White Knight" Syndrome, been there...is just another "self lie".

Yes, sometimes the "roller coaster" is fun, but when it becomes dangerous for your own sanity...better stop it.
Thank you for your insight. Googling white knight syndrome..

It is pretty heart-wrenching to perceive someone having so much potential but also as you said in your other post 'living in denial is a classic for them'.

You can lead a horse to water but not make it drink. If your horse dies in the desert cause it wouldn't drink water, you gotta believe that you can still walk yourself out of there. It will be an excruciating excursion but you will probably find another horse for better journeys in the future.

For example.... this girl (we both stay in the lower 48 of the U.S.) dreams of going to places like Alaska and Scandinavia (as do I) but I feel as long as she lives in denial she will not experience these things...she I guess will not be able to live outside of dreaming. SNAFU

It's like watching a 30-40 year old woman with full-blown autism talking about having a child and being able to take care of it. It's 'the stuff of nightmares'.

It pleases me very much to help others....I have been learning much about codependency lately though...it's an interesting exploration to find the dividing lines. I guess 'one is responsible for their own emotional needs' is key here...plus one can only get as much out of life as they allow themselves within their own capabilities.

Well she and I have a ton in common but I am more capable so I should try to focus on that and be happy. It's often the differences and not the similarities that drive our existence...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health