Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 09:49 AM

525 posts, read 1,549,121 times

Advertisements

My buddy says that to be admitted to drug rehab, he needs to have drugs in his system. Is that really true? He's trying to get clean without going to rehab but its not working. My friend told me he's going to rehab when there's a spot open
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2011, 09:57 AM

356 posts, read 828,098 times
I'm not sure if it has to be true, but it is usually the time when they screw up (while on drugs). My cousin has some serious drug issues, in and out of rehab countless times. These type of places are easy to manipulate, my cousin had no problem showing them exactly what they wanted to see in order to get out and get back on drugs. I miss her very much, and haven't spoken to her since the last time she got in trouble & that was months ago. I wish you the best and I hope your friend really wants to fix his/her problem.

Old 10-18-2011, 10:50 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,198,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleTulip18 View Post
I'm not sure if it has to be true, but it is usually the time when they screw up (while on drugs). My cousin has some serious drug issues, in and out of rehab countless times. These type of places are easy to manipulate, my cousin had no problem showing them exactly what they wanted to see in order to get out and get back on drugs. I miss her very much, and haven't spoken to her since the last time she got in trouble & that was months ago. I wish you the best and I hope your friend really wants to fix his/her problem.
They're not scamming the system, they're scamming themselves.
That's what addicts do.

What does it matter to the rehab if they get clean/sober or not?
All rehab does is give you however many days away from old people, places and things. It gives you an education and opportunity to become honest with yourself, if you choose. For many, that's enough.

It's all up to the individual.

And no, you don't have to have drugs in your system to get into rehab. Many request that you not be high for 3 days (if you can) before admission. Many have detox facilities attached.

Good luck to your friend.

He'll have to want it and it will have to be his first priority when he leaves rehab. If not, the drinking/drugs are always there, sobriety may not be.

Old 10-18-2011, 11:31 AM

356 posts, read 828,098 times
I agree chielgirl. It's just sad to see that so many people can just skip through these and use them as a place to live. (my cousin) good luck to your friend Katie..

Old 10-18-2011, 12:34 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,198,298 times
Of drug/alcohol addicts, only 10% of them seek help.
Only 10% of that number gets/stays sober for any length of time.

I'm lucky to be numbered among the 1% at this time.

Old 10-18-2011, 12:37 PM

438 posts, read 1,727,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Of drug/alcohol addicts, only 10% of them seek help.
Only 10% of that number gets/stays sober for any length of time.

I'm lucky to be numbered among the 1% at this time.
Congrats on your sobriety. I know what a difficult accomplishment each day is. My late husband tried many times but couldn't make it last

Good luck!

Old 10-18-2011, 01:09 PM

19,606 posts, read 20,059,306 times
I don't think you need to be ON drugs to get into rehab, but if your friend keeps slipping, he probably has drugs in his system anyway. (Depending on the drug, of course)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleTulip18
...I miss her very much, and haven't spoken to her since the last time she got in trouble & that was months ago.
I would suggest keeping in contact with her & showing some moral support. People often get mixed up with the wrong people in rehab and instead cut ties with the people they need most...

Old 10-18-2011, 01:16 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,458,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieCountrycm View Post
My buddy says that to be admitted to drug rehab, he needs to have drugs in his system. Is that really true? He's trying to get clean without going to rehab but its not working. My friend told me he's going to rehab when there's a spot open
No, its an excuse to continue using until they have a spot open.

Old 10-18-2011, 01:28 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,470,770 times
Katie, Katie, Katie. Are you ever going to move onwards and upwards?

Old 10-18-2011, 01:35 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,845,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieCountrycm View Post
Let me give you a piece of advice that your not going to like but in the long run, we see that I'm right. Distance yourself fro your freind! Get as far away from them as possible. You want to help them, you feel like you NEED to help them, but you cannot. There is simply nothing you can do at all. Accept it, tell your freind how you feel about it, and most importantly MOVE ON. Take it from someone who knows first hand.

Addicts are full of excuses for why they wont quit, why they wont get help, etc. etc.

The choice has to be theirs and theirs alone. Nothing you do will help the situation, I gaurantee you that much. If you stress about it, you are only setting yourself up for heartache and misery, until you eventualy inevitably find out what I'm telling you for yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health