Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 06:02 AM

6,224 posts, read 6,620,222 times

Advertisements

Well anxiety is rampant again. Health worries exude from me & thus I'm getting that frozen feeling again. Ok, will just chill for now but really having tough times w/ worries about catastrophies, etc. happening to me or my loved ones. I don't know what spurs this crap but it is pervasive. I see a shrink, as of a few months ago, for meds but still he thinks anti-depressants are way to go. I won't use them, this again on account of worry of cardiac damage from them. Back to being me & a mess I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2011, 07:31 AM

1,322 posts, read 4,238,835 times
why are you so worried about cardiac probs from medication? you probably will have more serious cardiac probs from your high anxiety. stress kills!!! how about something in the anti-anxiety family? xanax (low dose of course) or lorazepam? talk to you doc about options!

Old 10-20-2011, 05:28 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,752,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just1Lion View Post
why are you so worried about cardiac probs from medication? you probably will have more serious cardiac probs from your high anxiety. stress kills!!! how about something in the anti-anxiety family? xanax (low dose of course) or lorazepam? talk to you doc about options!
Totally agree. I am in the same boat. Talk about options. If you are not already exercise. It is a HUGE help. It is hard at first, but the routine helps. I am not a morning person, suffer from severe depression, and managed to start working out at 5 a.m. every morning. Now my days are not the same without it.

Old 10-21-2011, 08:20 AM

1,322 posts, read 4,238,835 times
yea exercise has helped me too. breaking out of the depression for long enough to get up/out and jogging can be challenging. but once up and moving it is a great help. i wish i could do it everyday but i have a slightly bum left knee that only lets me run maybe 2x per week.

Old 10-22-2011, 09:54 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,373,081 times
I am there. I know exercise makes me feel better, but I sit on the sofa like a lump. I don't think meds help me. I don't know what is wrong, but I just want to be happy. Or at least stress free.

Well, the good news is that I have to get rid of stuff today. Or lose my apt. It is just stuff. Working on trying to be happy today. Things have to get better.

Old 10-22-2011, 06:21 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,803,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
Well anxiety is rampant again. Health worries exude from me & thus I'm getting that frozen feeling again. Ok, will just chill for now but really having tough times w/ worries about catastrophies, etc. happening to me or my loved ones. I don't know what spurs this crap but it is pervasive. I see a shrink, as of a few months ago, for meds but still he thinks anti-depressants are way to go. I won't use them, this again on account of worry of cardiac damage from them. Back to being me & a mess I guess.
How's your diet? If you wish to take care of this w/o meds, you'll have to be pretty motivated to eat a really good diet. Sugary foods def raise my stress and anxiety level and make me depressed, so that's a good place to start. There are supplements you can take--vitamin B complex and fish oil help the most obviously and are not expensive. Your homework: 1. Exercise, as mentioned by veuvegirl. 2. Eat a healthy, sugar free as possible, with enough protein, diet. 3. Get some supplements and start with the B complex and fish oil if you're doing that already. You'll feel better in 2 days--I swear. I know, I go crazy all the time and it's not as fun as I thought it would be.

Old 10-23-2011, 09:05 AM

1,318 posts, read 5,272,989 times
Low dose Ativan would not be a bad idea...just to help you along. And eating well and exercise are musts. Prayer can help too!

Greenchili

Old 10-23-2011, 12:07 PM

5,583 posts, read 6,512,449 times
Ditto on the Ativan. I take a low dose of Lorazepam, the generic version, and it really works for me! It is an anti-anxiety medication, not an anti-depressent medication. As long as you are under your doctor's care, you will be fine taking it. I have to sign for it when I pick up a new Rx at the pharmacy, so they are monitoring your usage also. Try it, at least for 30 days. It very well may be exactly what you need.

Old 10-23-2011, 12:40 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,057,764 times
I found low dose Prozac (fluoxetine) to be a life saver when it comes to my anxiety. Other weaker SSRI's like Celexa and Lexapro did NOTHING - I wonder if they were placebo's. Prozac did the trick for me, and is much safer than benzo's.

Old 10-23-2011, 06:35 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,791,992 times
I'm seeing you tell us, movintime, that your abnormal obsession with health problems (real, imaginary, or simply plausable), is a huge problem for you. I'm also understanding that it is this exact obsession that prevents you from taking antidepressants. I totally understand that. I haven't ever experienced it, but I "get" it.

Is there some way you could convince yourself, to try a low dose of antidepressants for just a single week? Surely even you "get" (in your head -and- your anxiety-mind) that a single week of antidepressants can't damage much of anything. EVEN IF your anxiety is based in fact. EVEN IF antidepressants can cause heart problems. EVEN IF that were true - it wouldn't be true after only a single week of use, right? Are you able to really accept that? I understand if you can't...but - if you can...

then try it for just one week. Ask the doctor for a starter package. The Rx companies usually give them to physicians, and they're usually only good for a few days or an initial week.

The reason I'm suggesting this - I'm sure you're following where I'm going with this.

IF your anxiety is about meds..and IF you need meds to treat the anxiety..and IF you can take a deep breath and take a plunge for JUST A WEEK..it might JUST be enough to relieve the anxiety to the meds. And then - you can try another week, and another...until you are comfortable taking them.

And if you never get comfortable taking them, then you back off them after only a week, no harm done, and you can at least say you gave it a try.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health