Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 02:25 AM

2,505 posts, read 2,319,766 times

Advertisements

I don't get how people can be so stressed out all the time. Seriously, who in their right mind wants to be that way?

Plain and simple truth, when you are stressed and you project that as frustration, you only create more stress for yourself and others. The key to getting rid of stress is not to express it, or suppress it. Allow it to melt away and your problems with go with it. It there is stress in your life, you are most likely attracting it, allowing it, or causing it. STOP! BREATHE IN, BREATHE OUT, REPEAT...

You control the stress in your life. I chose a long time ago to not let stress build. I hate the way it makes me feel and treat others. After only a few days of doing this, I realized how dumb stress really is. We attract it to ourselves, feed it, and spread it to others, when we can't spread it to others it can build even more in ourselves.

Before you get all bent out of shape, STOP, Breathe in, breathe out, breathe in , breathe out, repeat as long as it takes to reduce the stress. At some point I encourage others to tell yourself that you are done being stressed out and hurt by yourself and that it will not happen anymore.

Is there even a point to stress?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2011, 05:23 AM

10,364 posts, read 20,743,839 times
No I feel pretty much the same way about that and I hate how it makes me feel. It also causes me to make the most awful food choices but when I fight that tendency it helps.

I discovered a long time ago that there is good stress and bad stress and I do my best to avoid the bad kind. Trouble is, one of my favorite anti-stress techniques is to get in the kitchen and bake something delicious, but when I eat it I'm contributing to those bad eating habits!

The good stress is the kind that keeps me energized instead of ready to pop off at any moment.

Old 10-24-2011, 11:08 AM

18,337 posts, read 18,943,402 times
not all people can "turn it off"

Old 10-24-2011, 11:26 AM

366 posts, read 773,236 times
Default You just don't get it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raison_d'etre View Post
I don't get how people can be so stressed out all the time. Seriously, who in their right mind wants to be that way?

Plain and simple truth, when you are stressed and you project that as frustration, you only create more stress for yourself and others. The key to getting rid of stress is not to express it, or suppress it. Allow it to melt away and your problems with go with it. It there is stress in your life, you are most likely attracting it, allowing it, or causing it. STOP! BREATHE IN, BREATHE OUT, REPEAT...

You control the stress in your life. I chose a long time ago to not let stress build. I hate the way it makes me feel and treat others. After only a few days of doing this, I realized how dumb stress really is. We attract it to ourselves, feed it, and spread it to others, when we can't spread it to others it can build even more in ourselves.

Before you get all bent out of shape, STOP, Breathe in, breathe out, breathe in , breathe out, repeat as long as it takes to reduce the stress. At some point I encourage others to tell yourself that you are done being stressed out and hurt by yourself and that it will not happen anymore.

I suggest trying to relay those words of wisdom and knowledge, "STOP! BREATHE IN, BREATHE OUT, REPEAT..," to a stressed out parent who was just informed that their teenage daughter or son was involved in a motor vehicle accident, or someone who was just informed that they have inoperable cancer. There are people suffering every minute of the day stressed out by the vicissitudes of life, and unfortunately people like you suggest to them not to "get all bent out of shape." Life ain't a bowl of cherries for everyone, but compassion and understanding for those that are suffering is something that we can all do.

Old 10-24-2011, 11:53 AM

7,022 posts, read 14,431,683 times
It seems for me, and a lot of people, most of the stress falls into one of these categories:

Work
Commute
Relationships
Family
Finances
Relocation
Legal Problems

Usually when the problem cannot be resolved in an immediate or straight-forward way and it continues to loom, stress overwhelms whoever has to deal with it. It's the "looming" nature that causes the stress to perpetuate over time..

Old 10-24-2011, 12:07 PM

863 posts, read 2,985,335 times
What I've learned is that we often put too much energy and emotion into things we cannot change, so we sit there and get tied up in knots. "Stress" and "worry" are energy drainers and do absolutely NOTHING to help any situation. We try to control things we have no control over and we reinforce it with the messages we send.

I have a friend that frequently says she's "stressed out". I have a hunch that simply saying it or typing it in an email sends her blood pressure up. I'm not trying to say that the stress and stressful situations don't exist. Just that how we handle things, doing what we CAN to improve or change a situation and trying to let go of what we cannot change, can get "some" sense of peace and a little less stress.

Last edited by zoso1979; 10-24-2011 at 12:28 PM..

Old 10-24-2011, 01:00 PM

2,145 posts, read 3,046,084 times
Quote:

Do you have children?

Old 10-24-2011, 01:03 PM

44,256 posts, read 64,171,175 times
Op, I agree about not letting the little things bother you. I am totally on board with that. Like there is even a thread on this forum about how to get revenge on other drivers who cut you off. Seriously? Let it go. Who cares? Do you think they are taking away from you?

However, there is a time and place for stress and the changes it creates in your body can actually improve your performance.

Stress has its place. I agree, however, that most people let the stupidest things bother them.

Old 10-24-2011, 04:23 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,216,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xiansheng_g View Post
I suggest trying to relay those words of wisdom and knowledge, "STOP! BREATHE IN, BREATHE OUT, REPEAT..," to a stressed out parent who was just informed that their teenage daughter or son was involved in a motor vehicle accident, or someone who was just informed that they have inoperable cancer. There are people suffering every minute of the day stressed out by the vicissitudes of life, and unfortunately people like you suggest to them not to "get all bent out of shape." Life ain't a bowl of cherries for everyone, but compassion and understanding for those that are suffering is something that we can all do.
Well I think when you have the average person complaining about being stressed, it is most likely NOT about life-altering events such as cancer or loss of loved one - these things are much more than stress, it's overwhelming grief and trauma. I think what the OP is talking about though is the everyday little routine things people let get to them - traffic, chores, work stuff, kid's activities, etc. I've never gotten it either, not too much stuff generally stresses me out - the big one that does is health concerns, either for me or my family, being sick freaks me out. But the small stuff - meh, doesn't bother me. My DH though, is like that. He can let more or less serious stressful things, like when he was working on his thesis, drive him up the wall - he won't sleep, he'll get depressed, etc. But even when everything is good, he'll find stuff to stress about - he'll freak out that neighbours upstairs are making noise, people are driving too slow, or he'll be up in the middle of the night bringing up all kinds of pessimistic 'what if' scenarios for the future. He even realizes and admits that it's silly, but that's his personality and he can't help it. I wish I could help him change, but really don't know how .

Old 10-24-2011, 07:23 PM

5,238 posts, read 7,963,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raison_d'etre View Post

I guess it depends on what kind of stress you are talking about and whether the person is already overloaded from larger stuff people aren't seeing. Stressed over to much work in a job, cut backs, a nasty boss, long hours and personal problems, that's a fairly typical scenario. Now the extra little things become big things too, the straw that broke the camel's back kinda thing, so they overreact. Certainly doing ones best to cope with chronic stress is wise but it isn't so easy when there are multiple large issues in the background.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health