Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 05:13 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,494,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
I have more questions than answers. The OP lives with his/her parents in their home. Apparently, OP is out of school and working. Agreement was to save enough money to buy a place.

So, all this time that you have been working (on the internet), are you playing rent to your parents? Do you contribute to the food bill, utilities, and do you clean up after yourself?

And, this money that you say "they" keep taking from you ... how much have they taken and for what reason? Is it rent that you owe?

Too many questions to make a reasonable suggestion other than to say, if you are living there, rent-free, saving money for your own place, I'd say you have it made in the shade.

It seems to me "someone" is a little old to still be living with Mommy and Daddy and blaming them for all his problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2011, 12:26 PM

12,082 posts, read 38,785,610 times
If you are old enough to hold a job and buy mutual funds... how are your Parents getting your money? Don't you have your own bank account?

Sounds like you have a LOT of growing up to do.

If they are driving you crazy, move out. Simple. Get a small apartment if you don't have enough yet for your land in the hills with your shack, and live your own life. Savings will be slower with your other expenses you will have living on your own, but anything worth doing, is worth doing right; and a longer time spent saving will make it all the sweeter when you do make it happen. Stop complaining about your Parents and get out on your own.

Old 11-01-2011, 01:24 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,507,171 times
Byland makes the points I was going to bring up.

We really need more background before we can help you.
Are they charging you rent and you're also giving them extra to put back and save for you?
Are you not paying anything but giving them $$ to put in an account for you?

I do know of a family that told their child....stay here while you save! We'll only charge you such and such! We'll even hold the $$ for you to keep it safe.

The kid was wet behind the ears and really didn't know anything about banking and such. Lo and behold the family (parents) ended up stealing everything the kid had saved.

The ideal situation is that you are paying them room and board and you yourself are putting YOUR $$ in YOUR account so THEY can't get to it.

Old 11-01-2011, 03:03 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,758,641 times
If you have 12K and 9K tied up in funds, then you have your 20K methinks and it's time to move on. But why go tie yourself to the land just yet, when you want to travel and you're still young? Why not do that first? Check out this website for all kinds of ideas for things you can do related to travel: Portal for Work Abroad, Study Abroad, Cultural Travel and Living Overseas Then go get started--you have plenty of money if you're thrifty, which I'm assuming that you are. In fact, I'm not really sure what's holding you back. Here's another good one: BootsnAll Indie Travel : RTW Tickets, Travel Inspiration & Deals. Cheap tickets, hotels & hostels.

BTW, I speak from some experience as I took my family on a round-the-world trip a few years back and for a family of 4 for a year, we spent around $60,000 and we weren't esp thrifty. We could have done it for much less if we'd stayed longer in one place in any of the less expensive countries and if we'd been able to work online as you can do. You could probably keep going indefinitely with what you have going for you now. Yeah, and health insurance is much cheaper if you go out of the US than if you stay here. We spent $1200 for the whole year for the family of 4, and that was with the adventure travel clause.

When you're ready to settle down in the Catskills, something I'm completely in sympathy with, write to some of the poorer counties and ask about back tax land--you may be able to pick up something for cheap, but as another poster mentioned, internet connection can be dicey in some of these places--when I lived in rural MO, I only could get dial-up and cell phone service is still poor where I lived--and this was not the Ozarks!

Old 11-01-2011, 04:11 PM

719 posts, read 1,549,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
It seems to me "someone" is a little old to still be living with Mommy and Daddy and blaming them for all his problems.
I don't think it's fair to assume that is the case. Maybe it's never happened to you, but older family members can indeed take financial advantage of younger family members. Maybe the OP just has a hard time saying no to requests for help(?)
Regardless, we don't know enough about the specific circumstances to draw the conclusions that you've seemingly arrived at.

Old 11-01-2011, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
If you have 12K and 9K tied up in funds, then you have your 20K methinks and it's time to move on. But why go tie yourself to the land just yet, when you want to travel and you're still young? Why not do that first? Check out this website for all kinds of ideas for things you can do related to travel: Portal for Work Abroad, Study Abroad, Cultural Travel and Living Overseas Then go get started--you have plenty of money if you're thrifty, which I'm assuming that you are. In fact, I'm not really sure what's holding you back. Here's another good one: BootsnAll Indie Travel : RTW Tickets, Travel Inspiration & Deals. Cheap tickets, hotels & hostels.

BTW, I speak from some experience as I took my family on a round-the-world trip a few years back and for a family of 4 for a year, we spent around $60,000 and we weren't esp thrifty. We could have done it for much less if we'd stayed longer in one place in any of the less expensive countries and if we'd been able to work online as you can do. You could probably keep going indefinitely with what you have going for you now. Yeah, and health insurance is much cheaper if you go out of the US than if you stay here. We spent $1200 for the whole year for the family of 4, and that was with the adventure travel clause.

When you're ready to settle down in the Catskills, something I'm completely in sympathy with, write to some of the poorer counties and ask about back tax land--you may be able to pick up something for cheap, but as another poster mentioned, internet connection can be dicey in some of these places--when I lived in rural MO, I only could get dial-up and cell phone service is still poor where I lived--and this was not the Ozarks!
Stepka,
I think these are great suggestions! With hindsight being 20/20 I wish I had done something like this before I settled down. That said, going abroad isn't for everyone. Plus the OP stated he has a stable job and works remote via internet but he did not say he could set his own hours. So if you have to work 9-5 eastern standard time from home or wherever, that might not make for a very good lifestyle if you're in Japan for example!
Just some thoughts. I wish the OP would come back and tell us more about his situation, his goals, etc.

Old 11-01-2011, 04:42 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,758,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD_JT_14221 View Post
Stepka,
I think these are great suggestions! With hindsight being 20/20 I wish I had done something like this before I settled down. That said, going abroad isn't for everyone. Plus the OP stated he has a stable job and works remote via internet but he did not say he could set his own hours. So if you have to work 9-5 eastern standard time from home or wherever, that might not make for a very good lifestyle if you're in Japan for example!
Just some thoughts. I wish the OP would come back and tell us more about his situation, his goals, etc.
Ha! Who said you can't do it after you've settled down? We were a married couple with 2 young teenagers (12 and 14) when we set out on our trip.

Old 11-01-2011, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Ha! Who said you can't do it after you've settled down? We were a married couple with 2 young teenagers (12 and 14) when we set out on our trip.
Well now I didn't say anything about taking a trip (in my mind a "trip" is a month or less). I was referring to something a bit longer term than that and I think the OP doesn't want to just travel and exhaust his savings. I think, based on his post, that he's looking for something more permanent.

Old 11-01-2011, 05:51 PM

19,170 posts, read 16,597,535 times
Where is the OP? Why hasn't he/she come back to answer questions posed or reply to suggestions offered? Come out, come out, where ever you are, Shankapotomus.

Old 11-01-2011, 05:55 PM

61,289 posts, read 87,266,948 times
if you are adult, have a job and money why are u staying with yoru parents and why cant u leave them?
get some help counseling find out why.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health