Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 03:49 AM

2,190 posts, read 6,851,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
Thank you for sharing the Medicine Buddha. It is very beautiful and is a gift of healing. I did not complete a resume with this post . . . I actually do quite a bit of energy work . . .I understand that healing happens energetically . . . the thing I was trying to explain about my thinking during these times that I find so interesting is that I am attracted to it even though it is disturbing . . .that is what I was trying to convey.

Everyone has their own wisdom and their own experiences - I don't like other people labeling my experiences - I think you can talk about yourself and what you have learned and what you believe - all that gives everything context, but to say, "It is this way FOR YOU" I think is wrong . . .but I don't want to get sidetracked on that at the moment . . .

I just want to hear other people's experiences, what works for them, how it is for them, etc.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed thus far. I feel hopeful that there are other things I can try that might help me.

Yes, what you say is true .... i cannot know or assume what is right for you or for anyone.
I get carried away at times and relating in this fashion (internet) can be extremely deranging ... for me.
I have also found that sitting in front of the computer for too long of a time really messes with my "field", creates or exacerbates mental imbalance and most definitely interferes with my sleep patterns.
All the best and good rest to you.

Last edited by jaijai; 10-29-2011 at 04:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2011, 05:25 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,632,650 times
I have written in other posts about my former insomnia - same thing, thoughts and worries going round and round and round all night and could not sleep. My husband cured me, and it is the most amazing simple thing. He said "just breathe like me". So when I was lying there and could not sleep, I gave it a try. I just concentrated on breathing in sync with him, slow and deep, and like a magic spell, I fall asleep. I have even mastered this trick on my own and can sleep when he's not around. All I have to do is concentrate on making each breath a little slower and deeper than the last one and sleep happens automatically.

I found that cerebral type methods do not work for me. I can't think other thoughts to counter the unwanted thoughts, for instance - that just feeds the cycle of worry. I basically ignore the thoughts. If they intrude, as soon as I realize it, I just go back to paying attention to my breath. Works every time. I wish I had learned this much sooner.

Old 10-29-2011, 10:34 AM

7,284 posts, read 12,926,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raison_d'etre View Post
Reason for living might be a bit too strong. What I mean is that our past lives can and do speak to us now. We might have experience something or learned something that could help us in this life.

The reason this could relate to your issue of worrying because perhaps it is one of your current life's lessons. Lets say your lesson is to learn how to help others and yourself in a certain situation. By helping said person or yourself though something might help you realize this lesson and allow your mind to rest.
No doubt past life influences are contributing to the problems and dynamics I am encountering. I have tried to do what I can to bring awareness to these issues - it does "FEEL" like I am supposed to do something else, which might be a past life residue, I don't know.

Thanks for your feedback.

Old 10-29-2011, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgoldie View Post
This is what I use. It's Native American music. Somewhat ethereal. You might find it helpful.
http://www.amazon.com/Canyon-Trilogy.../dp/B00000136Z
I'm not able to fall asleep to music with words as my mind grabs onto them instead of slipping into sleep.

I have a personal hobby of architectural drawing that I often work on before sleep. Composing a home with room sizes, locations, and furnishings that are balanced and functional gives me a sense of accomplishment that I find satisfying. Not for everyone I suppose. It addresses my attraction to the combination of both art and organization and soothes my mind into finding solutions to those things that have come up during the day as I fall asleep.

Occasionally I will read a few pages of a relaxing book of interest before bed as a way to change my mindset. I do think you need to address the underlying concern you're having with whatever the situation is that is overtaking your peace.

I LOVE Carlos Naqui (sp.?) I added that CD to my wish list. Thank you!

Old 10-29-2011, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilli View Post
I have written in other posts about my former insomnia - same thing, thoughts and worries going round and round and round all night and could not sleep. My husband cured me, and it is the most amazing simple thing. He said "just breathe like me". So when I was lying there and could not sleep, I gave it a try. I just concentrated on breathing in sync with him, slow and deep, and like a magic spell, I fall asleep. I have even mastered this trick on my own and can sleep when he's not around. All I have to do is concentrate on making each breath a little slower and deeper than the last one and sleep happens automatically.

I found that cerebral type methods do not work for me. I can't think other thoughts to counter the unwanted thoughts, for instance - that just feeds the cycle of worry. I basically ignore the thoughts. If they intrude, as soon as I realize it, I just go back to paying attention to my breath. Works every time. I wish I had learned this much sooner.
I need to pay more attention to my breath. Thank you for sharing this!

Old 10-29-2011, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgoldie View Post
This is what I use. It's Native American music. Somewhat ethereal. You might find it helpful.
Amazon.com: Canyon Trilogy: Native American Flute Music: R. Carlos Nakai: Music
I'm not able to fall asleep to music with words as my mind grabs onto them instead of slipping into sleep.

I have a personal hobby of architectural drawing that I often work on before sleep. Composing a home with room sizes, locations, and furnishings that are balanced and functional gives me a sense of accomplishment that I find satisfying. Not for everyone I suppose. It addresses my attraction to the combination of both art and organization and soothes my mind into finding solutions to those things that have come up during the day as I fall asleep.

Occasionally I will read a few pages of a relaxing book of interest before bed as a way to change my mindset. I do think you need to address the underlying concern you're having with whatever the situation is that is overtaking your peace.
It's weird about the architectural drawing fascination . . . my personality type (INTJ) is very drawn to architecture and design . . . In my obsessive thinking, sometimes, I replay rooms I have designed, rearranged, cleaned even - for people who are very disorganized.

Last night, in my mind, I was taking a property, bulldozing what is on it and then brainstorming how to rearrange the footprint of a home so as to add privacy and good light . . . I finally found the solution and then I did doze off to sleep . . . so I wonder if drawing these designs would be a good thing to do when having severe monkey mind . . .? My mind is always searching for solutions to problems and in the case of some of my family members that I worry about, I think there are no solutions I can manage, so hence the spinning and spinning around in my mind.

I also like architectural design because it is positive and makes me feel hopeful. I have a few projects I could work on and that would be a really positive way to direct my mind. It makes me feel hopeful to think that someday I may be able to implement these designs. Thank you for sharing that!

Old 10-29-2011, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaijai View Post
Yes, what you say is true .... i cannot know or assume what is right for you or for anyone.
I get carried away at times and relating in this fashion (internet) can be extremely deranging ... for me.
I have also found that sitting in front of the computer for too long of a time really messes with my "field", creates or exacerbates mental imbalance and most definitely interferes with my sleep patterns.
All the best and good rest to you.
You offered a lot of wisdom and good reminders and I appreciate it and will use the info!

Old 10-29-2011, 10:56 AM

11 posts, read 23,301 times
Melatonin taken daily. it is a natural inexpensive supplement. your brain creates it to help you sleep, however many brains do not create enough of it. this supplement helps tremendously. i have a son with the same problem and he takes it every night. and he sleeps much better with it. it is in vitamin/supplement section

Old 10-29-2011, 11:21 AM

Pros And Cons Of Melatonin - CBS News Video

Old 10-29-2011, 01:39 PM

885 posts, read 1,522,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
I have a very active mind and when it is time to go to sleep, I start thinking/worrying about whatever is disturbing in my life. Does not make for a restful sleep.

Does anyone have any methods to reduce worrisome thoughts to promote sleep?

I do use a mantra: "thoughts, thoughts, worries, worries," which helps . . .

What do you think about as you are going to sleep?
I do not think at all if I'm going to sleep; if you want to sleep you must consciously understand that you are now going to be unconscious for awhile.

If you have disturbing intrusive thoughts then you can do some dedicated journaling or reading on those topics before bed or some other quiet time, but then CLOSE the book. Sleep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health