Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 11:49 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,588,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by raidgirl View Post
With TV and internet around , I never get to doing things like reading a nice book or cook something interesting .
I am either surfing mindlessly or watching TV /
I am so addicted to these two things that I realise I need to minimse/stop the addiction

I guess I dont have a lot of will power.

How to beat this habit ?
First, don't take any advice on the matter from the folks who have more than 1000 posts on city-data

Second, they (psychologists) say that people are engaging into mindless repetitive actions (like mouse clicking, channel flipping, browsing or typing 13000th post on city-data) because of underlying "depressive disorders". In essence people crave for mindless repetitive action to get their minds off the surrounding reality. People attempt to to hide from the world "under" rock of clicking and flipping. If you stop clicking, flipping & typing than you need to return to the "real" world but since (for whatever reason) return is quite unpleasant you keep on clicking and flipping knowing well that the longer you click and flip the more miserable "return" would be. If that describes you, I guess you need to figure out why you are trying to escape and what you are hiding from. But remember about the first sentence
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2012, 05:01 AM

25,962 posts, read 22,107,325 times
Get a timer and set it by the computer and use it. Are you using the computer in your free time or are you avoiding doing something that needs to be done? I think it is depressing to sit at the computer and have so little to show for so much time spent. Take a walk. Read your book. I think you'll find you get much more out of the time you have and time goes by so quickly.

Old 02-03-2012, 06:11 PM

20,935 posts, read 28,414,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
First, don't take any advice on the matter from the folks who have more than 1000 posts on city-data

Second, they (psychologists) say that people are engaging into mindless repetitive actions (like mouse clicking, channel flipping, browsing or typing 13000th post on city-data) because of underlying "depressive disorders". In essence people crave for mindless repetitive action to get their minds off the surrounding reality. People attempt to to hide from the world "under" rock of clicking and flipping. If you stop clicking, flipping & typing than you need to return to the "real" world but since (for whatever reason) return is quite unpleasant you keep on clicking and flipping knowing well that the longer you click and flip the more miserable "return" would be. If that describes you, I guess you need to figure out why you are trying to escape and what you are hiding from. But remember about the first sentence
you have over 1,000 posts so does that include you as well?

Old 02-03-2012, 08:07 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,548,185 times
Quote:
With TV and internet around , I never get to doing things like reading a nice book or cook something interesting .
I am so addicted to these two things that I realise I need to minimse/stop the addiction

How to beat this habit ?

It can be tough.
I used to do the same thing.

You kind of just have to force yourself to get OUT of the house for starters. Stay out as much as possible. And before you go home, have a plan as to what you want to/need to do before you go to the computer or turn on the TV.

I still am a little bit addicted, but not nearly as much as I used to be.

I can't say what clicked for me, but I do know that having other things to replace your time with that keep your mind busy helps a lot.

Even physical exercise of some type is a big help.

Old 02-03-2012, 08:07 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,588,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
you have over 1,000 posts so does that include you as well?
Sure, I'm included, I said that in the last sentence, kinda.

Old 02-04-2012, 09:51 AM

20,935 posts, read 28,414,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
Sure, I'm included, I said that in the last sentence, kinda.
OK just checking.

Old 02-09-2012, 01:19 PM

6,793 posts, read 5,661,715 times
Quote:

How to beat this habit ?
Take a vacation and DRIVE across the country and back.. don't take your laptop.. stay at the cheap hotels if necessary with limited tv channels.. just stay long enough to sleep and get back on the road. If you got a buddy, take one with you for conversation sake.

Old 02-22-2012, 05:36 AM

76 posts, read 128,224 times
It is not a big issue that you got addicted to Internet & TV. Teenagers usually find it amusing to watch TV and surf the Internet for hours. But they must be guided well by their parents as leaving them unattended in front of a TV would tempt them to watch something that is not age-appropriate. Surfing the Net & watching TV are not addictions if used in a productive manner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health