Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 07:03 PM

5,452 posts, read 11,245,672 times

Advertisements

But IMO there should be a 5mg Ativan tablet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2013, 01:33 PM

148 posts, read 141,068 times
Default ativan

life saver and life taker, im on 4mg a day used to be 12mg at one time till a nut shrink cold stopped me and put me in mental hospital with suicide attempt. First i have been on ativan 35 years and the 4 mg still works for me, i take 2mg 6am and 2mg 9pm. plus 10mg of lexapro which i want to ditch because ADs like ssris maker you fat ,impotent, constipated , ect ect you get none of that with ativan, but my gp gave me back my 4mg a day and wont go any higher. When i bluffed my way out the mental zoo i was a wreck on only 10mg valium , and dtoxing 10 to 12 mg of ativan and this was a mental hospital. my gp gave me first a 50mg valium dose and another at night , never even registered , he agreed to give me back 4mg ativan a day and the minute i took one i felt a slight relief . I spent the next 6month locked in my beedrom detoxing 8 mg of ativan and im still alive, i died a thousand times let me tell you but it was my 4mg ativan that saved me. I would love my gp to scrub my AD and put up my ativan to 6-8 mg a day, you dont get addiction that you want more you reach a level that suits you its bull**** addiction. i carnt come off mine for life but i donr want to i wil always have cronic anxierty so i have to have medication so why not ativan.

Old 04-26-2013, 05:52 PM

5,452 posts, read 11,245,672 times
Many doctors nowadays are fanatically against benzos which is sad. For many they are the only medications that works. A young incompetent doctor cold stopped me from 10mg Valium a day which I had been taking for many years. I've been clean now for a month but have a craving to some extent for them. I'm not the social and outgoing person anymore which I was when on the medication. But I don't feel anxious when I'm alone... only in social situations. This is what the doctors did to me: they took away a medication that worked for me and made me an antisocial reclusive instead. I said to one of the doctors: Don't you think that there are individuals who need a small amount of benzos to get by? The reply was "I have never met such a person".

Last edited by Northwindsforever; 04-26-2013 at 06:18 PM..

Old 04-27-2013, 03:57 AM

Default mmmmmmmmm

i would love to ditch the 10mg lexapro , it helps but the side effects are crap, fat sexless an constipation. I should be on 20mg but i dont take it its total shut down on feelings. i have tried every other a-d there is, lexapro is the best, but i would love to come off if only they scripted me on ther 2mg atian to make it 6 mg a day . but the gp and the hospital wont.

Old 05-03-2013, 12:17 PM

5mg of loz is not that uncommon has is 100 mg valium a day.

Old 05-04-2013, 11:17 AM

7,284 posts, read 12,919,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
Thanks all But here my deal. I have a script for 2mg Ativan up to 3x daily, so thus 6mg total in 24 hrs allowed. I take 1mg, then another 1mg in 4-5 hrs, then a 3rd in maybe 4 more hrs, then drink a bit of red wine or a beer to then relax. If not still calm then I add 1 more 1mg Ativan, or maybe a glass of wine to wash it with.

I feel ok & it keeps booze cravings from being out control, & at same time it alleviates stress/hypochondriacal worry & helps lower my health hypochondria (tho I assume its thru this causing of inhibition from combined booze AND ativan).

Is this a do-able plan to reduce anxiety til where I can reduce ativan level, & get back to glass or 2 of wine/nite, rather than meds on top to help negate this anxiety?

Thanks all again... & yes,my kitty is wonderful to pet, cuddle, brush & she keeps me happy & sane even when Im a bit dazed or down. Always have responsiblity to her to feed, clean her box, exercise/play w/ her daily, etc.

Sorry to ramble more but here's my life as of now

Oh spoke w/ my caseworker & a therapist & she'd like to setup me for Dialectic Behavorial Therapy, whatever that is? Anyone, so is it ok vs CBT that I heard much about??
Have you thought about looking at the root causes of your anxiety? Medicating anxiety is just a bandaid for whatever ails you.

Old 05-04-2013, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitlock View Post
Many doctors nowadays are fanatically against benzos which is sad. For many they are the only medications that works. A young incompetent doctor cold stopped me from 10mg Valium a day which I had been taking for many years. I've been clean now for a month but have a craving to some extent for them. I'm not the social and outgoing person anymore which I was when on the medication. But I don't feel anxious when I'm alone... only in social situations. This is what the doctors did to me: they took away a medication that worked for me and made me an antisocial reclusive instead. I said to one of the doctors: Don't you think that there are individuals who need a small amount of benzos to get by? The reply was "I have never met such a person".
Why do you think it is necessary to be dependent upon outside "fixes" for an inside problem? There are lots of healthy things you could do . . . do you have any interest in exploring them?

Old 05-04-2013, 01:41 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,982,518 times
Imcurioous please stop lumping everyone together. We aren't all alike in what works and what doesn't. Maybe meds are not right for you but how dare you assume whats right for everyone else. Do you think we are all so stupid we have not read a lot and tried many things over years of having anxiety? Leave it to the person themselves to decide what is best for them.

Old 05-04-2013, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
Imcurioous please stop lumping everyone together. We aren't all alike in what works and what doesn't. Maybe meds are not right for you but how dare you assume whats right for everyone else. Do you think we are all so stupid we have not read a lot and tried many things over years of having anxiety? Leave it to the person themselves to decide what is best for them.
Of course everyone will decide what is best for them. I think with the social conditioning that meds are the answer to everything that ails you, some people truly don't realize there are other ways to approach what ails them. I was really just pointing out the obvious: There is always a root cause . . . I honestly don't think everyone knows this because if they did, they would not think of only treating symptoms.

If you know there is a root cause and choose to treat just the symptoms and understand the side-effects of the medications you are taking, then go for it. I was simply suggesting that there are alternatives. I honestly don't know why this would be an offensive point-of-view, but I see that it is.

Old 05-18-2013, 03:17 AM

Default no outside illness

what if there is no outside problems we are just ill with cronic anxierty, why has there got to be an outside problem, There,s not an ouside problem with loads of illness why say it for mental illness meds are hear to help our lives , they make us feel better then take them away an send us back to illness i dont get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health