Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2011, 03:07 PM

130 posts, read 317,374 times

Advertisements

Back story in this post:

//www.city-data.com/forum/texas...on-ticket.html

I'm so tired of this life. I'm tired of having to deal with a boyfriend who although loving in caring is also lazy and a mothers boy. His mother drags everyone around her down, by her unending need for money. She doesn't bother to pay her bills on time, yet she can pull out 20$ to eat out or to eat fast food three times a day. My boyfriend holds a joint bank account with her, drives a car that is owned by her, is on her car insurance policy, is on her cell phone plan, lives in a house that was willed to her (although it belongs to medicaid/the bank).

Anytime she has issues she is his go-to person. Need money, need something fixed? Go right to her son!

I've implored him to get his own bank account, to part from her cell phone plan and go for a cheaper pre-paid phone option, to find his own car insurance and most importantly to move out of this house.

I'm so tired of having to be the only one who plans, the only one who puts money back into savings. I'm tired I am so tired. My anxiety is coming back, I have Panic Disorder but haven't suffered a full on attack for near 6 years, but that's all falling apart in the 3 years I've been living with him. I've lost weight, I'm down to 100lbs now. For a period of time I had night terrors and now at times I will wake up at night feeling in a state of panic/terror. I feel out of energy, I feel cranky and unhappy with life. On top of it all I am homesick.

His mother is not going to ruin our plans to move, she is not going to ruin this. I don't care if I have to move back home without him, maybe that would be the best thing in my life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2011, 03:18 PM

8,514 posts, read 4,493,738 times
Ok, I read the backstory. It sounds like its an ever repeating set of circumstances.

It's long overdue that you take a good hard look at your relationship with your bf. He is co-dependent with his mother, and does not appear willing to break that bond. The bond between his mother and him is far, far stronger than his relationship with you. Do you always want to be second in his life? Because that's all you'll ever be---second. You will never be the primary relationship in his life. All you are is someone to help bail the both of them out of never-ending situations.

I can't answer for you, but is this truly what you want for your life? Do you really think that you deserve this, or do you think you deserve better?

Only you have the answer.

Old 11-07-2011, 06:08 PM

48 posts, read 300,336 times
It seems like you already have the answer to your problem.

Old 11-07-2011, 06:27 PM

7,214 posts, read 9,393,969 times
The fact is that this guy is a loser and you're a loser too if you stay with him.

Old 11-09-2011, 08:21 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,279,635 times
So mama has a joint account with her son...he drives HER car...is on HER phone plan....and lives in HER house....She SHOULD go to him when she needs something...he's certainly using her for his needs.....it's not his mother that is "ruining" your plans to move....it's HIM!....Your anxiety probably stems from the fact that you can't compare to mama for a mama's boy....

Old 11-09-2011, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
So mama has a joint account with her son...he drives HER car...is on HER phone plan....and lives in HER house....She SHOULD go to him when she needs something...he's certainly using her for his needs.....it's not his mother that is "ruining" your plans to move....it's HIM!....Your anxiety probably stems from the fact that you can't compare to mama for a mama's boy....
The problem is they both use each other. She calls anytime she needs help and just expects him to pay or provide in some manner. It's stressful as anytime his phone rings I wonder just what she wants this time.

I place blame on the both of them for depending on others to fix their mistakes instead of having the responsibility and foresight to handle things on their own. With him though, I would expect him to listen to me more and consider my feelings. I'm terribly stressed, losing weight and grouchy. You'd think he'd be sympathetic, but his answer is that I'm doing this to myself. He even goes as far as to say I enjoy this and I like to start "drama". Why the hell would I enjoy any of this? How can he be so callous?

Old 11-10-2011, 06:50 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,393,969 times
I think you decide if you want to someday marry a man, or marry a boy and his mother.

Old 11-10-2011, 08:57 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,780,553 times
How old is he? It's one thing for family to help one another out, it's another to be afraid of cutting the apron strings and pampering indefinitely.

What you need to do if find something constructive to occupy your time so that your anxiety doesn't get the best of you. With or without him, you need to take care of yourself first.

Then you need to establish some boundaries and responsibilities that each of you will adhere to with mutual goals and interests in mind. Talk it out in a civilized manner and try to reach some sort of agreement.

Old 11-10-2011, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
How old is he? It's one thing for family to help one another out, it's another to be afraid of cutting the apron strings and pampering indefinitely.

What you need to do if find something constructive to occupy your time so that your anxiety doesn't get the best of you. With or without him, you need to take care of yourself first.

Then you need to establish some boundaries and responsibilities that each of you will adhere to with mutual goals and interests in mind. Talk it out in a civilized manner and try to reach some sort of agreement.

He is 26

I've been taking time to meditate as that is supposed to work wonders for anxiety and stress. I used to take walks when my stress was bad, but after I moved to a new state I became too scared to go out by myself.

I'd say a goal we made was moving. It's the one thing I am greatly looking forward to. It will be nice to move to where the weather is more comforting and I think the separation from his mom will help us all (his mother included).

Old 11-10-2011, 01:17 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,780,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyx_Vance View Post
He is 26

I've been taking time to meditate as that is supposed to work wonders for anxiety and stress. I used to take walks when my stress was bad, but after I moved to a new state I became too scared to go out by myself.

I'd say a goal we made was moving. It's the one thing I am greatly looking forward to. It will be nice to move to where the weather is more comforting and I think the separation from his mom will help us all (his mother included).
Meditation and mindfulness exercises are great ways to cope with stress and anxiety. Being in the moment and focusing on the present is very important. If you don't feel safe going for walks try going someplace quiet like a library or your own backyard.

It sounds like you have a plan, so between now and then live by your values and find ways to keep yourself occupied in positive ways. Don't allow your mind too much idle time to think.

Meanwhile, share your concerns with him in a non-confrontational manner. Make him stick to his word and plan on leaving with or without him in a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health