Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 03:34 PM

88,515 posts, read 84,705,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
YUM! I could use some homemade ice cream too! You're lucky! Enjoy!...I had to settle for a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup to satisfy my sweet tooth!...I ate super healthy earlier and my zucchini/veggie casserole was tasty but boring. The chocolate helped!....I'd like to hear about your novel. My son bought the domain name I wanted for my new site/blog. Need to get "cracking" on it. He says he will help me put up the site when he gets out of the hospital...As a family we've always loved to start new sites and forums and hard-copy publications etc. Keeps our minds active!
Yum, love Reese's. I ended up getting Eggnog ice cream. It was really good.

I'm working on a historical novel. I love history, particularly the history of my state (NJ), and since I was a child I was interested in the white/black racial relations in our country. My story incorporates those things.

(LOL, and I wonder why no one ever wanted to date me...)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2011, 03:41 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,921,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumntimetwo View Post
Ok, I capitalize for emphazis. That is yelling?
My question was, are you the one, always doing for others and listening to them, but when it comes to 'your turn', they have no time for you?
It seems I got off on the wrong foot. Ok, bye.
Sorry, I misunderstood you - I guess I am a little snarky today.

Yes, I am the one who tends to be "the responsible one." I have taken care of quite a few people in my family - probably none of them would return the favor - wouldn't be capable of it - so that is just the way it is. There is nothing that can be done about it.

Old 11-20-2011, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Thanks for sharing. I can relate to what you wrote about receiving guidance but not always love...A little after my husband died I was "crying my eyes out" in the bathtub. That day I had lots of regrets. I felt that I could have been a much better wife! And I missed my husband so much I felt like my heart was literally breaking apart. (I had weird pains and heart palpatations.).....All of a sudden the song "You Were Always On My Mind" (by Willie Nelson) played out in my head. * This was odd because I rarely think about Willie Nelson or his songs. Then I realized that my husband was singing this song to me. (We both liked to sing and dance!)....When I got out of the bath I looked up the lyrics to the song on the Internet. My husband was trying to tell me that he made mistakes and had regrets too. But all in all we loved each other and had fun together the best we could. And it was "all okay!" No need for horrible regrets!

What a gift that was. You are very connected.

Old 11-20-2011, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Thanks...My husband and son and I made a "pact" to "stick around" for each other since all of our other loved ones died. (Including my older son.) I took "our pact" seriously and thought we'd all be together for quite awhile. We talked about "our pact" at times...Then my husband was unexpectedly diagnosed with stage 4 pancreatic cancer. He was a "fighter" but he died 13 months later....Then it was just me and my younger son and our "cat family." We pulled together and did ok for awhile. (Up until my son developed the fast-growing brain tumors.) He's had 2 surgeries and been in and out of local and far-away big city hospitals since the end of May. Two of my cats up and died....I've been walking around in a trauma state most of the time waiting for another "shoe to drop" at any time. Spooky!...Hard to find the "balance" I need to stay sane and hopeful etc... But I try! Go around like a "zombie" a lot. I call it my "soldier-like state!" Then it all gets to be too much and I have a big crying session for awhile. Or I write and write and write in an effort to stay sane and get some of my feelings out etc. (Or I write to have diversions and stay mentally stimulated etc.)... What tactics do you use to relieve stress? I walk a lot at times too! Or I sing and dance when I can get my mood "back up" a bit!

Wow. You have had more than your fair share of tragedy and sorrow . . . do you live by a big electrical transformer or something? I wonder why all of the cancer (I know there is a lot of cancer stemming from the environment and there is no telling who will get it, so I am not implying blame at all - even Adele Davis died of cancer after writing all of those books on healthy eating . . .)

You seem to be very strong and resilient. You must be very well connected, spiritually, to be able to endure such loss. I send you my condolences and also wishes for your son's recovery. I personally do put a lot of stock in the power of prayer.

Old 11-20-2011, 05:00 PM

4,164 posts, read 6,313,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
Sorry, I misunderstood you - I guess I am a little snarky today.

Yes, I am the one who tends to be "the responsible one." I have taken care of quite a few people in my family - probably none of them would return the favor - wouldn't be capable of it - so that is just the way it is. There is nothing that can be done about it.
I've been the "responsible one" too! I did ok when my husband was alive because I had his support and shoulder when need be. (And vica-versa.) But now it's hard because I can get "drained" and "worn out!" And my husband isn't around to pump more "fuel" and "nourishment" back into me!...I have to remember to "give" to myself a lot more and take care of me. (Too!) How do you cope with all of it? Thanks.

Old 11-20-2011, 05:16 PM

Quote:
I've been the "responsible one" too! I did ok when my husband was alive because I had his support and shoulder when need be. (And vica-versa.) But now it's hard because I can get "drained" and "worn out!" And my husband isn't around to pump more "fuel" and "nourishment" back into me!...I have to remember to "give" to myself a lot more and take care of me. (Too!) How do you cope with all of it? Thanks.
I don't cope too well. I developed one autoimmune disease (thyroid) and have suffered from anxiety. I am much better these days but it has not been easy, that's for sure. I guess I just could never turn my back on anyone. How about you?

Old 11-20-2011, 05:27 PM

Quote:

Wow. You have had more than your fair share of tragedy and sorrow . . . do you live by a big electrical transformer or something? I wonder why all of the cancer (I know there is a lot of cancer stemming from the environment and there is no telling who will get it, so I am not implying blame at all - even Adele Davis died of cancer after writing all of those books on healthy eating . . .)

You seem to be very strong and resilient. You must be very well connected, spiritually, to be able to endure such loss. I send you my condolences and also wishes for your son's recovery. I personally do put a lot of stock in the power of prayer.
I am suspicious about all of the cancer too! Of course some family members developed cancer in different states and places too...There was no history of cancer in my husband's family. And up until now it wasn't common in my family. I'm glad I had my family "intact" when I was younger. But it hasn't been this way for quite awhile now...Thanks for the vote of confidence! I have down moments. When I start feeling like I'm going to have a nervous breakdown I force myself to do something that will help me "stay sane" and get back in "balance."...I wish I had more "fun friends" in this area. Everyone has been nice. But they can be a bit stoic and serious. Or they have a different kind of humor than I do! (Being sarcastic is their way of being funny! )....I could use a little more "pure fun" to stay in "balance." I call up my out of the area friends because we are from the same culture and background. And we always end up laughing about something. (Maybe even ourselves at times!)

Old 11-20-2011, 05:33 PM

Quote:
I don't cope too well. I developed one autoimmune disease (thyroid) and have suffered from anxiety. I am much better these days but it has not been easy, that's for sure. I guess I just could never turn my back on anyone. How about you?
Sorry about your health problems. Good that you're doing better now. When I get stressed my whole body aches and I feel yukky! I take a lot of hot baths to try to relax. It usually helps for awhile anyway..I've had to invent all kinds of ways to deal with my emotions lately so I won't flip-out!

Old 11-20-2011, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yum, love Reese's. I ended up getting Eggnog ice cream. It was really good.

I'm working on a historical novel. I love history, particularly the history of my state (NJ), and since I was a child I was interested in the white/black racial relations in our country. My story incorporates those things.

(LOL, and I wonder why no one ever wanted to date me...)
Your novel sounds very interesting. I've always been interested in history and learning more "true facts" about the past. (Or different perspectives about all of it!)...My husband and I used to take our own "research vacations." We weren't exactly normal people in all respects. We could be "absent minded professors" together! But we were able to "pass for normal" most of the time and had ok social skills when need be...I never did well with normal men! Maybe you run into some of this too!.But there are other kind of men out there too!

Old 11-20-2011, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Sorry about your health problems. Good that you're doing better now. When I get stressed my whole body aches and I feel yukky! I take a lot of hot baths to try to relax. It usually helps for awhile anyway..I've had to invent all kinds of ways to deal with my emotions lately so I won't flip-out!
I am also a fan of hot baths. I make my own aromatherapy/Epsom Salts blends . . . I have been known to take three baths per day on particularly stressful days. It always helps.

I also like massage and that too always helps me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health