Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 01:41 PM

5 posts, read 17,454 times

Advertisements

Hi all!

I originally posted this in the Relationships thread. I think it might be relevant here, too.

I have been with my current girlfriend for a little over 11 months now. For the most part things are great. We have had a few arguments, but I would say that we get along well together for the most part. We have enough in common and where we differ we are open to each others opinions (without getting too testy! ).

But, something is not quite right. About two months into our relationship, she started with the baby talk (she's 35) saying that she wanted a kid before she was 40. Okay, fine. I told her my thoughts on the subject saying that I was not exactly looking for a kid (currently childless) but that I was open to the possibility if it was with the right woman and I was in a more financial stable situation. I recently entered into a grad program and am only working part time while supplementing my income with student loans. I grew up dirt poor and do not want to bring a child into this world while I can barely pay for myself at this moment. She also just entered into grad school, btw.

We only talked about kids a few times, then the subject was dropped until very recently. Now she's saying she doesn't care if we stay together, she wants a kid from me !

That got me thinking about a few things. She says she loves me, and I am sure that she does, but I question if she is really in love with me. For one, she doesn't really know much about me. Yeah, she knows some of my habits and what not, but she does not know anything really about who I am. I also realize I don't know much about her, either.

Earlier in the relationship she got upset with me because I never ask about her life, family, etc. She got upset over this, cried, and we even got into an argument over it. I told her that I pick up this stuff through everyday talk. I also reminded her of the time shortly before this when she told me she had "things to say", but there was plenty of time to get to them at a later point in time. I figured she had something big to tell me and that she would tell me when she feels comfortable doing so.

A few months later I did ask her what these things were and she told me some story that turned out to be a nonevent. It was nice to hear, but nothing earth shattering.

There was another time when she told me that her parents didn't talk about emotions when she was growing up. She has a great relationship with her parents now, very open and loving. I asked if this is why she is closed off about expressing deep thoughts and she got upset. We got into a little argument over this and she told me that is why she doesn't say anything, because she doesn't want this stuff to be used against her. Uh, ok

She also has a habit of turning everything around. If I mention something that she said on a previous date in time, she tells me that I misunderstood her or flat out denies saying it. Actually, she does this a lot. I am at a point where I don't want to bring anything up, no matter how mundane, for fear of being told that I am wrong. It has gotten to a point where I feel as if I may actually be making this stuff up. Along with that, it seems that I do things to constantly upset her. Nothing major, I'm just being myself. It's just little things that are part of my personality that seem to get under her skin for reasons I do not understand. Sometimes these things turn into petty arguments. She claims this arguments were because of a misunderstanding in our different communication styles, but totally ignoring the fact that they started because I did or did not do something and she had an issue with that.

For example, one time was over the fact that she was running late for school and I didn't make her a sandwich. Here is the thing, she never asked if I would. She was upset because she was late and I was just sitting there on the couch drinking my morning coffee as she was frantically trying to get out the door. This has actually happened more than once. This morning was the last time. I did ask if there was anything I could do to help her out. She said no, then got mad because she now "had to buy a lunch".

The cycle is typical; she gets upset, turns the situation around, then wants to hug or kiss or cuddle afterwards. She says she loves me, a lot actually. She probably says it 20 times a day. Not only that, but she tries to "trick" me into saying it back to her. On top of that, she tries to trick me into telling her she is beautiful, too. By trick I mean she says something that seems to be of the only purpose for me to respond with an affirmative answer.

There was a point in time when she texted me constantly. One time I was at work and we texted back and forth for about ten minutes. I began to spread out my responses over a period of a few minutes because, well, I was at work. She texted me back asking if I why I was getting short with her. I answered back that I was at work and had stuff to do. She responded with "are you mad at me?" Once again, the trick and set-up.

She also bends over backwards to do stuff for people, even if they do not ask for her help. If they do not return the favor, she cries that she has no friends.

Going back to talking with her, when I do, she will pull out her and read and respond to emails and texts while I am talking to her. Did I mention she is 35?

This is getting long enough, so I will wrap this up with this:

1. She puts on a happy face and is all smiles with the outside world. Yet with me she is constantly stressed out.

2. I'll do something that upsets her, then she will turn around and say I love you. I'm am wondering if she is really in love with me or just with the idea that I am still with her.

3. She turns everything around to be about her and cries until I cave in and tell her everything will be allright, she is a great person, etc. I don't want to cave in, but it is hard to see her cry and if I tell her to act like the 35 year old she is, I get told I am a jerk.

4. She seems to be stuck in the mindset of a 12 year old. This wasn't apparent until a few months ago.

5. She likes "bed head" because it gives the appearance to the world that she is getting laid. She is not ugly, btw.

6. She used to wear men's cologne in the beginning. She told me it was so that she smelled like she "just came from a man".

7. She texts, emails, and checks Facebook constantly. She deletes anything on FB about her that shows her in not-so-positive-but-just-regular light. She keeps her FB page completely locked down, totally controlling who sees what because she likes to keep things private.

8. She gets mad at me then turns around and says I love you.

9. She says I love you roughly 20 times a day.

10. She is totally not observant. She seems to not notice things about me or what I am doing.

11. If I don't give her the attention she wants or say I love you, she walks away. Then comes back a little bit later and uses one of her set-up statements.

12. She likes to hear about my day, but seems totally disinterested in anything really deep and personal about me.

13. She has an excuse for everything. She rarely takes responsibility for herself.

14. She has accused me of ruining her self esteem. In retrospect, even though she seemed put together at first, I doubt if she ever had any to begin with.

There are others, but I am beginning to wonder if she is narcissistic. I understand that I painted an unsavory picture of her. She is not like this 100% of the time and if I call her out on it she says that she is joking, etc.

Don't know what to do now. I have good self-esteem but lately I am feeling as if I am being used. I have also begun to question my own sanity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2011, 06:25 PM

26,726 posts, read 26,806,307 times
Narcissists don't have empathy for others; it appears that she has the opposite problem. It could be, as someone posted on your other thread, that she's borderline. But does it matter? She's obviously very needy. Only you can decide if you want to remain in a relationship with her.

Old 11-14-2011, 06:35 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times
She is needy, probably co-dependent. You sound like you are not even remotely empathetic to her which she probably wants, being co-dependent. You clearly are not that into her. Do both of you a favor and break up with her. Everyone will win in the long run.

Old 11-14-2011, 07:14 PM

17 posts, read 24,035 times
I was married to someone for 14 years who did the exact same things to me. After having a child and realizing that this was not a 'stable' individual who would put our daughters' best interest before any of his own vices, I made the decision to end such a manipulative and poisonous relationship.

My advice to you is to get out while you can. It seems that she is unable to handle stressful situations and becomes emotionally inept at times. If she cannot strive to become mentally healthy then maybe you should not consider any kind of long term relationship.

It sounds like there are a lot of her own 'trust' issues (possibly from nothing you have done) and some self esteem points that she needs to work out in her head first before even thinking of bringing a child into this world.

Don't ride that roller-coaster for years to come when you could be searching for the individual that can truly fulfill your time.

Good luck.

Old 11-14-2011, 08:58 PM

5 posts, read 17,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Narcissists don't have empathy for others; it appears that she has the opposite problem. It could be, as someone posted on your other thread, that she's borderline. But does it matter? She's obviously very needy. Only you can decide if you want to remain in a relationship with her.
She does have a lot of empathy. Probably more than the average person. I've never been with someone like her. If she is just needy, that is fine. I like to give love and it is nice to have someone who appreciates it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
She is needy, probably co-dependent. You sound like you are not even remotely empathetic to her which she probably wants, being co-dependent. You clearly are not that into her. Do both of you a favor and break up with her. Everyone will win in the long run.
I am empathetic. I just don't want to be a doormat. It is hard for me to figure out which is which with our relationship.

Old 11-15-2011, 12:14 AM

2 posts, read 7,819 times
Default Perspective

Quote:
Originally Posted by big-burrito View Post
Hi all!

I originally posted this in the Relationships thread. I think it might be relevant here, too.

I have been with my current girlfriend for a little over 11 months now. For the most part things are great. We have had a few arguments, but I would say that we get along well together for the most part. We have enough in common and where we differ we are open to each others opinions (without getting too testy! ).

But, something is not quite right. About two months into our relationship, she started with the baby talk (she's 35) saying that she wanted a kid before she was 40. Okay, fine. I told her my thoughts on the subject saying that I was not exactly looking for a kid (currently childless) but that I was open to the possibility if it was with the right woman and I was in a more financial stable situation. I recently entered into a grad program and am only working part time while supplementing my income with student loans. I grew up dirt poor and do not want to bring a child into this world while I can barely pay for myself at this moment. She also just entered into grad school, btw.

We only talked about kids a few times, then the subject was dropped until very recently. Now she's saying she doesn't care if we stay together, she wants a kid from me !

That got me thinking about a few things. She says she loves me, and I am sure that she does, but I question if she is really in love with me. For one, she doesn't really know much about me. Yeah, she knows some of my habits and what not, but she does not know anything really about who I am. I also realize I don't know much about her, either.

Earlier in the relationship she got upset with me because I never ask about her life, family, etc. She got upset over this, cried, and we even got into an argument over it. I told her that I pick up this stuff through everyday talk. I also reminded her of the time shortly before this when she told me she had "things to say", but there was plenty of time to get to them at a later point in time. I figured she had something big to tell me and that she would tell me when she feels comfortable doing so.

A few months later I did ask her what these things were and she told me some story that turned out to be a nonevent. It was nice to hear, but nothing earth shattering.

There was another time when she told me that her parents didn't talk about emotions when she was growing up. She has a great relationship with her parents now, very open and loving. I asked if this is why she is closed off about expressing deep thoughts and she got upset. We got into a little argument over this and she told me that is why she doesn't say anything, because she doesn't want this stuff to be used against her. Uh, ok

She also has a habit of turning everything around. If I mention something that she said on a previous date in time, she tells me that I misunderstood her or flat out denies saying it. Actually, she does this a lot. I am at a point where I don't want to bring anything up, no matter how mundane, for fear of being told that I am wrong. It has gotten to a point where I feel as if I may actually be making this stuff up. Along with that, it seems that I do things to constantly upset her. Nothing major, I'm just being myself. It's just little things that are part of my personality that seem to get under her skin for reasons I do not understand. Sometimes these things turn into petty arguments. She claims this arguments were because of a misunderstanding in our different communication styles, but totally ignoring the fact that they started because I did or did not do something and she had an issue with that.

For example, one time was over the fact that she was running late for school and I didn't make her a sandwich. Here is the thing, she never asked if I would. She was upset because she was late and I was just sitting there on the couch drinking my morning coffee as she was frantically trying to get out the door. This has actually happened more than once. This morning was the last time. I did ask if there was anything I could do to help her out. She said no, then got mad because she now "had to buy a lunch".

The cycle is typical; she gets upset, turns the situation around, then wants to hug or kiss or cuddle afterwards. She says she loves me, a lot actually. She probably says it 20 times a day. Not only that, but she tries to "trick" me into saying it back to her. On top of that, she tries to trick me into telling her she is beautiful, too. By trick I mean she says something that seems to be of the only purpose for me to respond with an affirmative answer.

There was a point in time when she texted me constantly. One time I was at work and we texted back and forth for about ten minutes. I began to spread out my responses over a period of a few minutes because, well, I was at work. She texted me back asking if I why I was getting short with her. I answered back that I was at work and had stuff to do. She responded with "are you mad at me?" Once again, the trick and set-up.

She also bends over backwards to do stuff for people, even if they do not ask for her help. If they do not return the favor, she cries that she has no friends.

Going back to talking with her, when I do, she will pull out her and read and respond to emails and texts while I am talking to her. Did I mention she is 35?

This is getting long enough, so I will wrap this up with this:

1. She puts on a happy face and is all smiles with the outside world. Yet with me she is constantly stressed out.

2. I'll do something that upsets her, then she will turn around and say I love you. I'm am wondering if she is really in love with me or just with the idea that I am still with her.

3. She turns everything around to be about her and cries until I cave in and tell her everything will be allright, she is a great person, etc. I don't want to cave in, but it is hard to see her cry and if I tell her to act like the 35 year old she is, I get told I am a jerk.

4. She seems to be stuck in the mindset of a 12 year old. This wasn't apparent until a few months ago.

5. She likes "bed head" because it gives the appearance to the world that she is getting laid. She is not ugly, btw.

6. She used to wear men's cologne in the beginning. She told me it was so that she smelled like she "just came from a man".

7. She texts, emails, and checks Facebook constantly. She deletes anything on FB about her that shows her in not-so-positive-but-just-regular light. She keeps her FB page completely locked down, totally controlling who sees what because she likes to keep things private.

8. She gets mad at me then turns around and says I love you.

9. She says I love you roughly 20 times a day.

10. She is totally not observant. She seems to not notice things about me or what I am doing.

11. If I don't give her the attention she wants or say I love you, she walks away. Then comes back a little bit later and uses one of her set-up statements.

12. She likes to hear about my day, but seems totally disinterested in anything really deep and personal about me.

13. She has an excuse for everything. She rarely takes responsibility for herself.

14. She has accused me of ruining her self esteem. In retrospect, even though she seemed put together at first, I doubt if she ever had any to begin with.

There are others, but I am beginning to wonder if she is narcissistic. I understand that I painted an unsavory picture of her. She is not like this 100% of the time and if I call her out on it she says that she is joking, etc.

Don't know what to do now. I have good self-esteem but lately I am feeling as if I am being used. I have also begun to question my own sanity.

I think it is an entirely different situation. I think it is an issue of Love (she needs love) and respect (you as the man need respect). It is a book (they also have relationship seminars). I know it sounds quite cliche but I am telling you what you written out is CLASSICALLY examples of her needing love...in the way a woman hears/understands/feels it. Not that you aren't loving her...but she hears things through a pink (woman) filter...and you are speaking (doing/etc) things through a blue (man) filter. It's miscommunication and frustration at it's greatest (which is actually at it's worst). My husband and I attended a Love & Respect Conference - which we almost didn't make it to because we were in quite an argument and I told him frankly I didn't want to spend that much time with him. LOL! Thankfully we went...and it was hands down...THE MOST life-changing (RELATIONSHIP changing) event we've ever been to. I'm telling you - this is an issue of her hearing things through her pink filter and you saying things through your blue filter...and vice versa. It isn't that she is a narcissist, it's that she is a woman who is expecting YOU to love her in a way you don't understand. And you are expecting respect from her...but she keeps loving you (which is what she is really needing from you...remember you said she says I love you 50 million times a day?? She needs that from you...to know you love her....whereas men don't need to be loved as much as they need to be respected...of course they need love....but you get the idea). Just my two-cents.

Old 11-15-2011, 09:10 AM

4,164 posts, read 6,315,874 times
I think we all have insecurities and "old baggage" to work through and understand etc...And it all comes out in our "love relationship." It can take a long time to really understand our mate (and vica-versa) and gain trust in each other...We can get "crazy" at times when we don't feel totally secure. (Women might handle their insecurities one way and men might handle their insecurities in a different way.) And sometimes we may not even realize that we are feeling insecure!...Any little thing could "shake us up." And we might provide our mate with a few weird "tests" without even realizing that we are doing "tests" or "traps" etc...Hopefully it "all comes out in the wash" as we get to know ourselves and our mate better through the years and feel more secure with them! (And when we understand what our mate might be "fishing for" and need the most at any given point in time.)...It's hard to "ask for what we want" in direct ways if we don't even have awareness of what we want or need ourselves! Hopefully partners will be able to create some "bridges of understanding" through the years if they decide to "tough it out" and stay together. This is what my husband and I did! And it was worth it!

Old 11-15-2011, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomesticDivaRN View Post
I think it is an entirely different situation. I think it is an issue of Love (she needs love) and respect (you as the man need respect). It is a book (they also have relationship seminars). I know it sounds quite cliche but I am telling you what you written out is CLASSICALLY examples of her needing love...in the way a woman hears/understands/feels it. Not that you aren't loving her...but she hears things through a pink (woman) filter...and you are speaking (doing/etc) things through a blue (man) filter. It's miscommunication and frustration at it's greatest (which is actually at it's worst). My husband and I attended a Love & Respect Conference - which we almost didn't make it to because we were in quite an argument and I told him frankly I didn't want to spend that much time with him. LOL! Thankfully we went...and it was hands down...THE MOST life-changing (RELATIONSHIP changing) event we've ever been to. I'm telling you - this is an issue of her hearing things through her pink filter and you saying things through your blue filter...and vice versa. It isn't that she is a narcissist, it's that she is a woman who is expecting YOU to love her in a way you don't understand. And you are expecting respect from her...but she keeps loving you (which is what she is really needing from you...remember you said she says I love you 50 million times a day?? She needs that from you...to know you love her....whereas men don't need to be loved as much as they need to be respected...of course they need love....but you get the idea). Just my two-cents.
Great post! Good advice!

Old 11-15-2011, 09:31 AM

P/S...There were times when my husband seemed a bit "odd" or "off." When he got this way I knew that he had some hidden insecurities that he wasn't dealing with...His insecurities weren't always about me. It could be that he was worrying about something in the "larger world" at the time. (But he hadn't really processed it yet.)...I had (have) some "weird ways" at times too. (My husband passed away last year and this is why I said "had" at first.)...Anyway my husband and I learned to pick up "clues" and "signs" through the years as we gained more understanding about ourselves and each other...Now that he is gone it's rough because no one understands me the way that he did! Sometimes I have to explain myself to people in my life today but I didn't have to do this all the time with my husband at the end. And it was so nice! We reached a deep level of understanding about each other.

Old 11-15-2011, 02:41 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by big-burrito View Post

I am empathetic. I just don't want to be a doormat. It is hard for me to figure out which is which with our relationship.
Maybe it's me but I don't find you empathetic at all. I just don't think you are that into her. Period.

For example:

Quote:
She turns everything around to be about her and cries until I cave in and tell her everything will be allright, she is a great person, etc. I don't want to cave in, but it is hard to see her cry and if I tell her to act like the 35 year old she is, I get told I am a jerk.
If someone you loves is crying you automatically empathize and don't consider it caving in.

Quote:
Earlier in the relationship she got upset with me because I never ask about her life, family, etc. She got upset over this, cried, and we even got into an argument over it.
You never ask about her life, her family?

Quote:
she does not know anything really about who I am. I also realize I don't know much about her, either.
After 11 months? Seriously?

Why are you even with her? You aren't that into her and life is marching on. Besides, she wants a baby and is very needy. Not a good combination. Get out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health