Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2011, 10:26 AM

4,164 posts, read 6,312,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Sweet!!!

I am sending some right back......
Thanks! I could sure use some extra "cheer" and hugs right now! Kind of got depressed. But I'm sure I feel better after a few good cries...It's not good to walk around "numb" and "bottled-up." I know better!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2011, 10:37 AM

4,416 posts, read 9,135,397 times
I have grown to loathe the holidays. It is a man made materialistic event. It is beyond cliched! I am done with it!

Old 11-29-2011, 11:30 AM

17,986 posts, read 27,444,769 times
Man-made or not, some of us are spiritual beings. When a person puts their spirit into the thing, you get a different perspective.

The Tooth Fairy, Santa Claus, Rudolf the Red-nosed Raindeer... all of these things have a power to them that is measurable because they have a spirit about them that means something to someone.

My cousin died of cancer on the 20th of November. Did the family dread Thanksgiving because of it? Well I don't know, but not on my cousin Linda's account. She requested they celebrate it the week before because it was apparent that they were going day to day, minute to minute at that point. We had gone up to see her just prior to their early Thanksgiving. We were glad to have seen her before she left us... but she was suffering and it was sad.

I've got another cousin whose husband died on Superbowl Sunday. I've got an aunt who shares my birthday with me. I've got another aunt who died on that day.

So, do we dread and curse the day our loved ones left us... in form? I think not. If I ever get to know enough people, they will eventually snuff on each and every day of the year. Then what?

Happy Thanksgiving and Merry Christmas to some of you, and happy festivus to the rest of yous.

Old 11-29-2011, 11:46 AM

2,190 posts, read 6,849,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
The "mob mentality" on Black Friday was really depressing. How do you feel about it? Thanks.
It's pathetic and creepy and it's a perfect example of how sick this consumer driven culture has become.
People are so unbelievably mesmerized by the dominant / consumer driven / materialistic culture and are so unconscious and so deluded and lost and so hungry for meaninglessness that they'll trample over their fellow humans to save a few bucks to buy some piece of junk that they don't need in the first place.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:06 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,995,755 times
I haven't read all the responses, but I dread the holidays each year even though some years I'll put up a tree and decorate - even if it's just for me. This year won't be like that though. I may see about volunteering this year as my family lives out of state and I can't say I've made any friends where I live that I'd really want to spend the holidays with.

Old 11-29-2011, 09:16 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Man-made or not, some of us are spiritual beings. When a person puts their spirit into the thing, you get a different perspective.

The Tooth Fairy, Santa Claus, Rudolf the Red-nosed Raindeer... all of these things have a power to them that is measurable because they have a spirit about them that means something to someone.

My cousin died of cancer on the 20th of November. Did the family dread Thanksgiving because of it? Well I don't know, but not on my cousin Linda's account. She requested they celebrate it the week before because it was apparent that they were going day to day, minute to minute at that point. We had gone up to see her just prior to their early Thanksgiving. We were glad to have seen her before she left us... but she was suffering and it was sad.

I've got another cousin whose husband died on Superbowl Sunday. I've got an aunt who shares my birthday with me. I've got another aunt who died on that day.

So, do we dread and curse the day our loved ones left us... in form? I think not. If I ever get to know enough people, they will eventually snuff on each and every day of the year. Then what?

Happy Thanksgiving and Merry Christmas to some of you, and happy festivus to the rest of yous.
I like your post and I think you have valid points. There were years that I had no one, not even a place to live on the holidays. Now that I have a little girl it makes it easier to celebrate. I became an atheist a few years ago but that doesn't stop me from decorating. I prefer to celebrate the shorter days ahead, the beauty, solitude and peace of winter and the spirit of giving even when we have so little. No matter what, we can always give each other our hearts.

Old 11-29-2011, 10:19 PM

17,986 posts, read 27,444,769 times
To just put aside the materialistic garbage and go caroling... thx btw.

If I'm not mistaken, atheists have a profound love of humanity itself and this is a place we can stand together on.

I need to give... away a bunch of clothes that I can't even use anymore... including coats. It's just like money when you think about it.

How about those sort of old purses and shoes?

But don't give too much or you wont have room for what returns to you. That's been my experience.

Old 11-29-2011, 11:34 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
Indeed. I have a profound love for humanity. I also firmly believe in karma and what I put out into the universe comes back to me.

On second thought, I take that back. I am not an atheist. I am agnostic. I always forget that. I believe that it is very possible that there is something out there, some sort of creator or something else. And I believe firmly in giving and in my fellow man. I just don't believe in dogma or religion. But I am agnostic because I will not even pretend to think I know the meaning of life. I just go through life being kind to everyone and always trying to do the right thing. Always. I think the rest takes care of itself. Eventually.

Old 12-01-2011, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaijai View Post
It's pathetic and creepy and it's a perfect example of how sick this consumer driven culture has become.
People are so unbelievably mesmerized by the dominant / consumer driven / materialistic culture and are so unconscious and so deluded and lost and so hungry for meaninglessness that they'll trample over their fellow humans to save a few bucks to buy some piece of junk that they don't need in the first place.
Maybe some people want to hold on to their childhood by "going crazy" at Christmas. Or they want to make-up for what they didn't "get" as kids...But "Black Friday" and holiday shopping in general can be "cut-throat" today. It's sad! Corporations sure know how to manipulate the public and human emotions.

Old 12-01-2011, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post

I agree with you. I don't think our deceased loved ones want us to "stop living" and suffer and suffer just because they are gone....It takes time to go through all the stages of grief. But the ultimate goal is to get to a place of acceptance and be able to "go on."...This is my 2nd holiday season without my husband. But I know he is with me "in spirit" urging me to have some fun when I can! He doesn't want me to "die" too. And I don't want to become a "scrooge" or "party pooper" when it comes to the holidays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health