Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2011, 11:57 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times

Advertisements

I've always enjoyed working retail during the holidays. I don't have a job right now and I doubt I could ever stand for long periods of time anymore. But I love wishing customers "Happy Holidays," "Merry Christmas" or what have you. There is no better way to get into the spirit of the holidays than by spreading good cheer. What you put out eventually comes back!

And yes I know that people can be pushy and nasty while shopping during the holidays but chances are they are just like you and me, but stressed out. If you can look past that and take the time to wish them well you can sometimes turn that situation around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2011, 02:35 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,964,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
Maybe some people want to hold on to their childhood by "going crazy" at Christmas. Or they want to make-up for what they didn't "get" as kids...But "Black Friday" and holiday shopping in general can be "cut-throat" today. It's sad! Corporations sure know how to manipulate the public and human emotions.
I am not saying that this is consistently true, but the people with whom I used to work who had the roughest childhood and bad parents seemed to be the most fastidious in decorating their own homes for the holidays.

Old 12-02-2011, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyenative01 View Post
I hate the holidays, but I have a part-time job in retail...
Yes, my husband worked in retail for a time. It must leave an indelible mark on them, as he still has the shudders when the winter holidays approach.

Old 12-02-2011, 06:27 PM

4,164 posts, read 6,312,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I've always enjoyed working retail during the holidays. I don't have a job right now and I doubt I could ever stand for long periods of time anymore. But I love wishing customers "Happy Holidays," "Merry Christmas" or what have you. There is no better way to get into the spirit of the holidays than by spreading good cheer. What you put out eventually comes back!

And yes I know that people can be pushy and nasty while shopping during the holidays but chances are they are just like you and me, but stressed out. If you can look past that and take the time to wish them well you can sometimes turn that situation around.
Good for you for caring about people!

Old 12-02-2011, 08:09 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,673,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Yes, my husband worked in retail for a time. It must leave an indelible mark on them, as he still has the shudders when the winter holidays approach.
I had a friend who had a college degree but for years worked in flea markets selling leather jackets. He decided at one point to get a "real job", and that job was as a manager at Toys-R-Us. He started in the fall the year that the Cabbage Patch Dolls were the craze. He quit in January and went back to the flea market gig.

He told us the story of how a pregnant woman had him up against a wall screaming that she had promised her daughter a Cabbage Patch Doll and he'd better find one for her.

Old 12-02-2011, 08:42 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,136,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I had a friend who had a college degree but for years worked in flea markets selling leather jackets. He decided at one point to get a "real job", and that job was as a manager at Toys-R-Us. He started in the fall the year that the Cabbage Patch Dolls were the craze. He quit in January and went back to the flea market gig.

He told us the story of how a pregnant woman had him up against a wall screaming that she had promised her daughter a Cabbage Patch Doll and he'd better find one for her.
I had to laugh because I have seen some seriously out of control people when I worked in retail. The toy that they almost assaulted or tried to kill someone for, will be collecting dust by February in their kid's toy box. I always got amused at the men that came in the store. Usually Christmas eve and wandering around like a lost puppy. They had no clue on what to buy their wives. Most were appreciative when I offered suggestions. They were my favorite customers. I had one dill weed though that really peeved me off. He was looking for a sweater for his wife (always a bad move) and when I asked him what size she wore he said, "well she is about your height but not as fat as you." So I picked out a sweater that was a 2XL. Ya, I know not kind but I figured he would get the brunt of it on Christmas morning. Never **** off someone trying to help you.

Last edited by fallingwater; 12-02-2011 at 08:52 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 12-02-2011, 10:48 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,247,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

I had friends who sold every weekend at the swap meet. We'd go out and help. We had a blast. People were out for a bargain but they were not in intense, us or them competition, and strangers talked to each other. My vision of a job I'd love (other than being an artist or published author) would be a thrift shop or a swap meet. Retail is a necessary evil.

Old 12-02-2011, 11:27 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
I am not saying that this is consistently true, but the people with whom I used to work who had the roughest childhood and bad parents seemed to be the most fastidious in decorating their own homes for the holidays.
Not my abusive parents. Christmas was for Jesus and not decorations. And of course Jesus was all about sparing the rod and spoiling the child.

Nothing against Jesus, though. If he existed I am sure he never wanted parents to use Christianity to abuse children. They also used religion to be sanctimonious and gossip about other people. In fact one of their favorite put-downs was about people that celebrated Christmas.

Old 12-03-2011, 06:21 AM

4,164 posts, read 6,312,593 times
We all handle stress differently. Some people are just not cut out to work in retail sales because they don't have a lot of patience. And they have a tendency to "act out" and get "snippy" with customers when they are under pressure. Have you noticed this?...I think it's all about having "boundaries." When I'm under stress I try to put up "stronger boundaries" so I won't "dump" on the people around me. My "stuff" is "my stuff" and it's up to me to "contain it." (And deal with it when I can.)...I don't want to say or do something that I may later regret...In other words I don't want to treat the whole world badly just because I'm having a "bad hair day!"

Old 12-04-2011, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Not my abusive parents. Christmas was for Jesus and not decorations. And of course Jesus was all about sparing the rod and spoiling the child.

Nothing against Jesus, though. If he existed I am sure he never wanted parents to use Christianity to abuse children. They also used religion to be sanctimonious and gossip about other people. In fact one of their favorite put-downs was about people that celebrated Christmas.
My sympathies. My parents sent me to one of those churches, but they seldom went. I was lucky that way.

Girls should not wear lipstick, dance, wear slacks. Reading secular books was a no-no (unless for school, you know, 'render unto Ceasar . . .)

The thing about Jesus is that all the high points of his life were also found in other religions. Even the dates of the major holidays were really robbed from other religions.

I'm sorry for all the hell they put you through. Do you have any holiday feelings, at all? I mean, I like the carols, though I do not agree with them entirely. It is hard for me to be in a group where Jesus is mentioned because I think of someone/something entirely different than the rest of the. How about you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health