Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2011, 03:51 PM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I don't want to belabor this point, but yes, the further south you go the longer your daylight is going to be. Living closer to the time zone change makes a difference, as I said, but it has more to do with the closer you are to the equator. I didn't say Florida is sitting on the equator but it it much, much farther south than New Jersey, Massachusetts or even Tennessee. That's why, even though Miami is much farther east than Knoxville the sun will set over the city a full 15 minutes after Knoxville. But maybe I understand this because I've lived in all of these places for quite awhile.

Equinox - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Stepka, your snow globe story is wonderful. That's exactly it! I love watching my daughter delight in giving a present and truly understanding that it is the giving and not the getting. And you will always have that wonderful present. Those are the things in life that truly matter.

My daughter and I are making the best of things and celebrating the season in our own small way and it has been wonderful!

LOL, yes, you are absolutely right! I didn't mean to make it sound as if you were wrong about that in any way. I was just trying to ADD the point that Florida is also much farther west than New England and even NY/NJ, though less so.

Florida's more than 1000 miles closer to the equator than I am, that's for sure. On the other hand, it is much darker right now 1000 miles to the north of me so I guess I should just be content where I am.

Enjoy your celebration with your daughter, hiknapster. This is my first year not having my daughter with me for Christmas so it's a little blah. But we will Skype, and she will return to this hemisphere in January so I'll just have to wait.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2011, 04:30 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,462,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Here's to the return of the light! I went to lunch at a Thai restaurant today. There were six of us--two Christians, two Jews, and two Hindus. I toasted to the return of longer hours of sunlight--everyone can relate to that.

I also think about people who are just now having money troubles for the first time. I have been broke most of my adult life and much worse off than I am now--I don't have much of a bank account, but I can pay my bills every month and that wasn't always true. Over the past couple of years, since the economy tanked, I've actually felt grateful that I knew what it was like to be evicted or not able to pay your car insurance or even to get the car running. It must be difficult for those who have maintained a certain standard of living and are finding they cannot keep it up now.

MQ, I think many of us know what it's like to experience such times, somehow we make it through. Though there have been times where my earnings were well up there, after a turn in my health, not so much. Earlier days, after leaving my abusive ex and losing a job at the same time during another down turn in the economy years back, I didn't know if I'd make it through that period; I did though I faced other times of not knowing where my next meal or where I would lay my head once again. There was never any whining from me, just did what needed to be done. So yes, people go through stuff we just don't always speak on it or negate others feelings for whaterever ails them. I might use the term shopping, doesn't mean I'm not trying to decide if I can afford the rice or the beans.

This is an occasion I was able to state my thoughts on a thread asking how I feel about the holidays, not about life in general, as I know I have much to be thankful for in spite of the fact that I'm in poor health to the point sometimes I don't know if I'm going to make it all the way home from the store without falling down in the middle of the street. It has happened. But still, I'm one lucky gal, I get to live in the sunniest state at least on this side of the country and I know if push comes to shove, I could always call up someone somewhere and tell them I'm starving to and the'd bring me something to eat; I just don't. I have wonderful exboyfriends that wouldn't dream of letting me starve. Yep, I'm lucky as heck, except when I try to bend over and everything hurts to high heck.

Old 12-24-2011, 08:52 AM

4,164 posts, read 6,314,426 times
We can try to make the "best" out of our current situation and give ourselves the "gift of happiness" whenever we can. (Despite it all!) Or we can "drown" in self pity and play "suffering martyr" and walk around like a "grump" 24/7. (And be miserable all the time!)...One of the greatest things my husband taught me was to be happy "just because." He is gone now but I feel like he came back in spirit this morning to remind me to give myself the "gift of happiness" even though things are not perfect in my life right now...He always found something to enjoy and "be happy about" no matter what! He didn't let life "swallow him up." He refused to spend every minute "down in the dumps" even when he found out that he had stage 4 pancreatic cancer...This Christmas is the "test of a lifetime" for me. My son is struggling to get his speech and mobility back after his brain tumor surgery. And the doctors say that remnants of his tumor may grow back fast. And he might not live very long!..This is a good time to believe in miracles! And my husband came to remind me to stay positive! Becoming a "downer" won't help my son keep his spirits up! So I'm trying to give both of us the "gift of happiness" this Christmas despite the negative prognosis...My husband didn't "stop living" and "drown in sorrow" when he found out that he had cancer. He made the days he had left "happy" for himself and "happy" for us. He didn't want a "grinch" to "steal" his joy and excitement and zest for life..I know I need to cry at times to avoid getting "bottled-up." But I also need to find some reasons to be happy too in order to stay in balance.

Old 12-24-2011, 05:38 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,969,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Those things make the holidays depressing. Absolutely. My husband lost his job three weeks before Christmas about four years ago. My daughter was about 7 at the time. It was devastating. I had no idea how we were going to buy her presents. She said, "Don't worry, Mommy. Santa will bring them." Ugh. How do you explain that to a kid? At least now she understands.

I got a lot of pushback on here about my posts. The truth is my husband's business is failing and we can barely buy food to eat, let alone presents for my daughter. We are losing our house. I have no family, really, and a mother that's devilishly hurt me my entire life and I'm an only child. I do not speak to my adult children and missed a good portion of the childhood of a couple of them. I'm getting a divorce - and that's the good news! - and I have to find a job but I've been very sick for three years and I hope I can find and keep one.

But I have a roof over my head for now and I understand how important that is. I've been a mature woman that had to sleep in the woods and walk the streets. No, I'm not kidding. I was a woman with a profession and a nice home, car and family and a brutal divorce took it all. It happens. We do have food, which we barely had last year. I have bought a few presents for my daughter. Last year I bought her ONE. Not a game console, mind you. A snow globe.

Maybe I will finally get this crazy husband out of here so I have hope.

So I loved the "you don't understand" comments. None of us know what anyone else has suffered. But if you can get out of yourself for a tiny bit, it makes all the difference. I understand that is next to impossible when your children are gone, maybe permanently, or ripped away, or you are hungry or cold or without a place to live. Or a loved one has just died. To me, then you can complain. Until then, whining about how you don't have a girlfriend or wife, or you have to buy a present for a co-worker or go to a holiday party...Seriously? Some people should be so unlucky.
I hope you get rid of your husband fast. It just seems as though he is a burden and pulling your spirits down. Good luck on keeping a long termed income coming in, too.

I think it is human nature to always grope for something better, no matter what your position in life is. We are rarely perfectly content with what we have.

Yes, it IS a good habit to be thankful for what we have. It is good for the soul but not the best for capitalism.

Best wishes to you.

Old 12-25-2011, 07:46 AM

4,164 posts, read 6,314,426 times
I thought about going to eat at the free community Christmas dinner today. (Put on by the local Catholic church and the St. Vincent de Paul organization in town.)...Years ago I used to volunteer to cook meals for homeless people twice a week and it felt good to me. These days I feel more comfortable (and "at home") with people who have gone through "losses." (Versus people who are still "sitting pretty" with no awareness about what it feels like to go through "down times.")...But I'm not going to go to the free community meal this time. (Maybe next time. Maybe I will volunteer to help out too.)...I offered to help my friend cook for her big family today. Everyone always expects her to do everything. It drives me crazy! She's been sick recently and she's still mourning the loss of her sister. (Who died last month.) I'm going to "plug myself in" and help her the best I can...How are you going to spend the day? Is it okay to say: "Merry Christmas?"

Old 12-25-2011, 08:02 AM

4,176 posts, read 10,686,242 times
I used to be a "social butterfly" - Thanksgiving and Christmas were always very big deals at our house. I would spend two weeks cooking and preparing and freezing pies, cookies, candies, snackages, and treats. Children who had poor home lives (drinking, fighting at holiday family get-togethers) and were friends with our children would come and spend the day, adults who were single or divorced would come to dinner rather than be alone, co-workers (fire dept and EMS) on and off duty would come over for dinner - there was always a huge and changing crowd at our dinner tables. One of our dear EMS friends 'forgot' that the chocolate rum balls were alcoholic, and fell asleep on the couch after eating several - and when the tones dropped for a call, I had to take his place on the ambulance because I was sober! It was always a good time; always lots of love and fun and craziness.

Now the children are grown and have their own families and friends, and do the same things. We moved to a farm in the middle of nowhere, and have no company for the holidays any more. We have been invited out to brunch and dinner, but honestly, DH and I love the quiet. We love being able to just make a few things we enjoy for supper, not have to worry about entertaining or cleaning up or where to store the leftovers. We can hop on the 4-wheeler and go to the back 40 and enjoy the peace and quiet while the cows and horse gather round and munch on alfalfa cubes, or watch football on TV and throw peanuts at the refs, or go to bed and nap, or do whatever we please. Neighbors covered up with family and friends feel sorry for us, but we are quite content and graciously turn down any invitations.

Is it ok to say "Merry Christmas"? YOU BETCHA! Merry Christmas to you!

Old 12-25-2011, 08:28 AM

8,757 posts, read 9,462,454 times
I've been spending much of the day trying to fix my puter, doing some laudry, I'm enjoying the quiet. After I rest up, I'll have a bite, work my way through the stash of dvd's I picked up from the library. Yesterday, I was walking home from the store I looked up took in the views around me and couldn't stop smiling because it was so beautiful outside. So many beautiful trees and it was so quiet as compared to how it can be when there's more traffic passing through. I would go take a break and sit out by complex's pool, but I'm hiding out from the holiday bliss. I'm genuinely happy for those of you that celibrate and are enjoying the day. You should be joyous and celibrate in the spirit of the day as it suits you.

Old 12-25-2011, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
I thought about going to eat at the free community Christmas dinner today. (Put on by the local Catholic church and the St. Vincent de Paul organization in town.)...Years ago I used to volunteer to cook meals for homeless people twice a week and it felt good to me. These days I feel more comfortable (and "at home") with people who have gone through "losses." (Versus people who are still "sitting pretty" with no awareness about what it feels like to go through "down times.")...But I'm not going to go to the free community meal this time. (Maybe next time. Maybe I will volunteer to help out too.)...I offered to help my friend cook for her big family today. Everyone always expects her to do everything. It drives me crazy! She's been sick recently and she's still mourning the loss of her sister. (Who died last month.) I'm going to "plug myself in" and help her the best I can...How are you going to spend the day? Is it okay to say: "Merry Christmas?"
It's OK to say Merry Christmas, CArizona, and I'm saying it right back to you. I'm glad you have a plan for the day, and I'd be very happy if I were your friend for whom you are offering to cook. It sounds as if your presence will do her world of good. I hope the good comes back to you, too.

Hey, let us know what you made!

Old 12-25-2011, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
I used to be a "social butterfly" - Thanksgiving and Christmas were always very big deals at our house. I would spend two weeks cooking and preparing and freezing pies, cookies, candies, snackages, and treats. Children who had poor home lives (drinking, fighting at holiday family get-togethers) and were friends with our children would come and spend the day, adults who were single or divorced would come to dinner rather than be alone, co-workers (fire dept and EMS) on and off duty would come over for dinner - there was always a huge and changing crowd at our dinner tables. One of our dear EMS friends 'forgot' that the chocolate rum balls were alcoholic, and fell asleep on the couch after eating several - and when the tones dropped for a call, I had to take his place on the ambulance because I was sober! It was always a good time; always lots of love and fun and craziness.

Now the children are grown and have their own families and friends, and do the same things. We moved to a farm in the middle of nowhere, and have no company for the holidays any more. We have been invited out to brunch and dinner, but honestly, DH and I love the quiet. We love being able to just make a few things we enjoy for supper, not have to worry about entertaining or cleaning up or where to store the leftovers. We can hop on the 4-wheeler and go to the back 40 and enjoy the peace and quiet while the cows and horse gather round and munch on alfalfa cubes, or watch football on TV and throw peanuts at the refs, or go to bed and nap, or do whatever we please. Neighbors covered up with family and friends feel sorry for us, but we are quite content and graciously turn down any invitations.

Is it ok to say "Merry Christmas"? YOU BETCHA! Merry Christmas to you!
Merry Christmas to you, too, SCGranny. May I borrow your back 40 for a weekend? I'd love to hand out with the cows and horse.

Old 12-25-2011, 09:03 AM

36,420 posts, read 16,026,236 times
Hey guys, Merry Christmas. I feel kind of depressed, as I always do this time of year. Just doesn't feel like Christmas. My Dad, brother and SIL are coming over for a small dinner. I work weekends, so just got off at 8 this morning. Since my Mom passed 4 years ago, it's just not the same. I hope you all have a great day. Oh unemployed for over a year except for caregiving on the weekends, it sucks, this past year has really increased my depression and anxiety.

Bless all of you on this board.!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health