Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-29-2012, 09:40 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,940,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
darstar...My husband and I used to write about our travels and our experiences in a publication we had in the past..Having a readership definitely made vacations more fun! We pushed ourselves to "see more" and "do more" in every area we visited. (And had fun too!)
I did also. I had a monthly editorial in a regional publication, as well many articles, mostly historic, in several national Auto Mags. I still belong to the Society of Automotive Historians and once served on the national board.My credentials sure got me into a lot of restricted rare book libraries all around the country. Those were exciting years, overall like you guys , it was always whats behond the next hill or mountain that sparked my interest and dedication the most.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 11:23 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
I was a newspaper reporter for many years; at first for a weekly and then at a very large daily now owned by The New York Times.

OhioGirl, happy early birthday!

Believe it or not I am still considering making a ham. My daughter probably won't have any but I can have a few pieces and make a couple of sandwiches. The rest can be used for soups. They are easy to freeze!

CArizona, I hope you can have the best Easter possible. Can your son eat Swiss Colony this year? (((hugs)))

By the way, lest you all think I just whine all the time, I will direct you to a thread I started regarding my job quest at the age of 50.

//www.city-data.com/forum/work-...al-thread.html

Old 03-02-2012, 07:35 AM

2,932 posts, read 5,421,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
On the bright(er) side, Monday is my birthday and I'm traveling to visit my sister and her family. My niece and nephew will spoil me rotten (love those kids!). Beats staying home alone and remembering past birthdays, when I'd get cards and flowers and a wonderful dinner, and maybe even some nice gifts if money weren't tight. He liked to make my birthday special.
From one widow to another...buy yourself a little gift for your birthday, from you to you. Don't buy yourself something you need, buy yourself something you want. Do this for yourself at Christmas too. Heck, if you want to buy yourself some pretty Valentine's Day flowers for yourself next year, do it...I do.

I've been doing this for myself for over 20 years. Some years, there was something I had my eye on, and I "justified" the purchase by making it my Christmas or birthday gift. Worked for me!

Hope you have a nice birthday.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:29 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,940,154 times
I do not consider Easter a Holiday anymore , since I stopped looking for colored eggs., which seem gross today ! Its a Church day ( I an not religious), and a kids day for Easter bunnies ( also strange)..
I my demented brain, I consider groundhog day more of a holiday...especially when it repeat's itself over and over ( I always liked Bill Murry )..... Nothing against flowers.,in fact tulips are my spring favorite, along with Flags.

Old 03-03-2012, 11:18 AM

4,164 posts, read 6,316,466 times
I miss coloring (and hiding) Easter eggs for my kids when they were small! I miss "stuffing" candy and other "goodies" into Easter baskets for them! Their excitement became my excitement! And it was fun...My son will turn 40 in May and I'm glad he still gets excited about holidays. The past few holidays have been different for us due to his brain tumors. (And recovery.) But we're still going to try to "pump-up" and enjoy Easter the best we can.

Old 03-03-2012, 03:23 PM

20,935 posts, read 28,426,121 times
I am 41 and my mom still gives me an easter basket LOL, actually it's one basket for DH and I, It usually has a stuffed animal in it, a little bit of chocolate, maybe some scratch off lottos and maybe a little money to buy ourselves something. My DH and I still color eggs even though we are grown up and don't have kids. It's a tradition that I like to still do, I use them as place cards for Easter dinner with a name of the guest on each one. Then we make egg salad 2 days later.

Old 03-03-2012, 05:12 PM

lubby...I love all of your special family holiday traditions! Good for you!...My Mom was Diabetic so my parents didn't usually pass out candy as we all got older. They got us something else they thought we might want and need. For instance my parents knew I loved bathrobes. So they might go shopping to pick out a special bathrobe for me on Easter or a nice sweater or some kitchenware etc...Nobody gives me eggs. I don't like eggs and haven't eaten an egg since I was 4 years old. But I don't mind boiling or cooking eggs for other people or making "deviled eggs" etc...It's great that you and your DH still enjoy coloring eggs together for Easter. I'll bet that there are a lot of new dyes and designs on the market since the last time I colored eggs for my kids. (Eons ago!)

Old 03-04-2012, 06:19 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
Growing up, Easter was strictly a religious holiday. No baskets or eggs. As an adult I have always made my kids Easter baskets and we still color eggs. I had to talk my daughter into it last year but she got into it. I like the egg salad sandwiches I get to eat after!

Since we started back to church Easter will be even more meaningful.

Old 03-04-2012, 10:41 AM

When I was a "tot" a lot of women still wore hats to church services. Easter was a time for a "crowning glory" kind of hat..Eventually women didn't have to cover their heads when they went inside our church anymore and hats "flew by the wayside!" (In the Catholic church anyway.) And before too long women could wear pants to Mass...We always went to church on Easter and got dressed-up in new Spring clothes. I sang in the choir...But that was "it." We turned Easter into fun family time. And didn't mention religion anymore. (Except for saying "grace" before we ate.)

Old 03-04-2012, 11:03 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
When I was a "tot" a lot of women still wore hats to church services. Easter was a time for a "crowning glory" kind of hat..Eventually women didn't have to cover their heads when they went inside our church anymore and hats "flew by the wayside!" (In the Catholic church anyway.) And before too long women could wear pants to Mass...We always went to church on Easter and got dressed-up in new Spring clothes. I sang in the choir...But that was "it." We turned Easter into fun family time. And didn't mention religion anymore. (Except for saying "grace" before we ate.)
Yes, we used to go shopping as kids for an Easter dress. We'd get a new dress and new dress-up shoes and wear them on Easter along with that goofy straw hat with the elastic that eventually snapped and hurt your face. The shoes and dress would then become my Sunday outfit for the rest of spring and summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health