Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: would you turn your mother in for pointing a gun at you for no reason?
yes and i would disown her 7 46.67%
yes and i wont disown her 2 13.33%
no but i stay away from her 5 33.33%
no, i still be in herlife. 1 6.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 02:13 PM

659 posts, read 1,146,021 times

Advertisements

Lovesmountains...this is why I deceived to leave...I have heard rhetoric like this before. It does no good for me andothers...and actually triggers me...so I am off this thread for good...thank you guys, I appreciate the stupor..lately I come to view citydata as an unsafe place for where I am right now...take care
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2011, 02:15 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WINDCHIMES View Post
Lovesmountains...this is why I deceived to leave...I have heard rhetoric like this before. It does no good for me andothers...and actually triggers me...so I am off this thread for good...thank you guys, I appreciate the stupor..lately I come to view citydata as an unsafe place for where I am right now...take care
I understand my friend.

You do what you have to do to be safe and healthy.

All the best to you

Old 12-08-2011, 03:09 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,530,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Not always.

While I am a big proponent of forgiveness and what it can do for you, some very traumatic experiences set off a chain reaction of PHYSICAL symptoms that require more to overcome them than just the act of forgiving.

Yes, I'm very aware of that, but forgiveness is not only the best starting point, it can also cause positive physical changes as well.

Let me put it this way...it was the best thing I ever did and I've never seen real, genuine forgiveness NOT help someone.

Old 12-08-2011, 04:59 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,851,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Yes, I'm very aware of that, but forgiveness is not only the best starting point, it can also cause positive physical changes as well.

Let me put it this way...it was the best thing I ever did and I've never seen real, genuine forgiveness NOT help someone.
This is true for you.
You can share your experience with someone and it may or may not inspire them to do as you did, but you can't assume what the right course of action is for someone else.

Old 12-08-2011, 06:14 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,557,959 times
Blood doesn't make it okay. Your damn right I'd turn them in. I can do the forgiving later.

Statistically, you have to worry about those you know well, this will include family.

Strangers are not the folks you need to worry about, but throwing away cautions not a good idea.

Old 12-09-2011, 10:22 AM

659 posts, read 1,146,021 times
i did not turn her in, but I think I should of, she is not mentally stable and she has a gun...legally too..so I do worry, I worry bout the day when she just loses it and comes for me, older people can get senile and do things anyhow, even if they are mentally well, so I do have that concern...my sister told my dad who did nothing, he said nothing, he did not care. EVeryone in my family goes on as if it never happened but me, I can't...I have a lifetime of pain that I must deal with and I do, I don't use this to excuse myself of not doing what I should do, I am actually doing better than most, because I want too, I do not use drugs, drink only wine with dinner, I live within my means, I take care of my body and my mind as much as I can...I will not let what was done to me to define me.

When I was young, I did not take care of myself, I smoked and drank and ran with a bad crowd, I did not ever hurt anyone and I did not do horrible things, but I was in situations that could of hurt or ended my life, now when I see that in others, it saddens me, cause I know there is something behind all that and it makes me very sad for them.

I just wanted to thank you guys for posting again, I also wanted to tell you that the poll is now closed and to thank you for it. I found it interesting that no one picked the last option, is what I had done for a long time, was to just ignore it and act as if it never happened...but thankfully i woke up and now I just stay away and pray for her and the rest of them, I can let it go...and just stay away...

Peace to all

Old 08-30-2018, 03:06 PM

1 posts, read 271 times
You’re dad is just as responsible, he is certainly a willing accomplice. My dad pulled a gun on me in front of a bunch of kids, who ran like crazy. My mom says that I was a “difficult kid”. Damn them both, they should both be in jail. I was NOT a difficult child, I certainly have never been in jail or in gangs and graduated from high school and went on to college. While my Dr. father drank his ass off and played poker to win. Yeah, he carried a gun to the table. LOSERS!

Old 08-31-2018, 06:35 AM

301 posts, read 189,273 times
Wow, this thread is super old but what a wild concept. I know the OP likely won't see this, but I'm sorry you've experienced this.

At the end of the day though, this is the sort of situation that you can't really know what you'd do until or unless you're ever actually in that situation. And depending on the circumstances, your decisions or behavior could vary even more. I think it would be very easy for me to say that I'd absolutely turn the person in - this behavior indicates that the person is a danger to others and quite likely themselves. Would I disown them? Who knows. Again, that's situational. Alcohol induced rage? Psychotic episode because of missed medications? History of mental illness vs. not?

Disowning is a weird word. You can love someone from a distance, even if that distance is them in jail or in the case of mental illness, an institution where they (and you) are safer from themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health