Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 05:47 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,234,990 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I decided to quit smoking just over a week ago. I only usually smoked between 5-7 cigarettes a day for just over three years, but have sorely realized that I must have started due to the terrible anxiety induced stomach aches I get when I'm stressed out. It literally feels like I have a pit in my stomach that will not move and has me almost keeling over by the end of the work day. I'm on Zoloft for anxiety and depression and am now wondering if I should ask my doctor to increase the dosage to kill these stomach aches ... what do you all think?

Anyway, I'm trying to get through this, but it would be so much easier if I could just stay away from all the things that annoy me for at least a few more weeks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2012, 05:50 PM

51 posts, read 81,458 times
The Jane would help you cope.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

Old 02-01-2012, 12:48 AM

23,221 posts, read 29,044,905 times
I've tried quitting smoking cold turkey, too many failed attempts. Now I'm on a new road that has me really encouraged, for a change. No, not quitting, but cutting down, which I didn't think I could ever achieve.

For 9 months now, I've only smoked half cigarettes, sometimes just a third, and am now at that stage I can't smoke a whole one anymore! Don't even smoke in the car to work anymore, what a major victory that has been!

The only times that are the most challenging is sitting at the computer. But there's days now where I don't even smoke 3/4 of a pack a day. My next goal, after my 1st anniversary of doing halves, is to cut down more, but only by another 1/4 of a pack, and another 1/4 after that.

But the anti-smoking zealots will never pat me on the back for the progess made as they their thinking runs black and white.

My ultimate goal is to use a good friend as a model, who smokes 3 cigarettes a day, one after each meal!

The loss of $ spent on cigarettes doesn't impact me, as for 10 years now I've been stuffing the empty cigarette tubes with "chemical-free" tobacco. We're looking at $1.25 to $1.50 a pack.

I'm not going to advise the OP to take this route, as this may only work for certain people.

Old 02-01-2012, 01:24 AM

642 posts, read 1,113,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
But the anti-smoking zealots will never pat me on the back for the progess made as they their thinking runs black and white.

My ultimate goal is to use a good friend as a model, who smokes 3 cigarettes a day, one after each meal!
One thing that kills me is that I cannot legally buy one cigarette at a time! There used to be some stores that would sell individual cigarettes but apparently there's been a crackdown on it.

To be honest I'd be willing to pay $.75-1.00 for a single cigarette. When I don't have cigarettes I don't smoke them, but when I do they burn a hole in my pocket. I've been trying to quit for a long time but it's a little disheartening to have to commit to a pack of 20 when all I wanted was one

Old 02-01-2012, 01:35 AM

You'd fit right in in Latin America. I remember too many of my trips to Central/South America where these kids would come by the outdoor cafes and sell you one cigarette! And all the choices, I loved it!

Old 02-01-2012, 01:50 AM

12,477 posts, read 17,794,686 times
I'm gonna give you the pat on the back others won't. You're being proactive with your life. What others think isn't signficant in the grand scheme of things.........ya know?
I smoke 3-5 cigs a day. Period. My doctor asked me if I needed help to quit and I told him hell no. If I can't smoke 3-5 cigs a day then WTH?
I don't drink, don't eat red meats, am not over weight...........so dang I'm not feeling guilty over how many smokes I have a day.
Just keep on keeping on with what works for you

Quote:
I've tried quitting smoking cold turkey, too many failed attempts. Now I'm on a new road that has me really encouraged, for a change. No, not quitting, but cutting down, which I didn't think I could ever achieve.

For 9 months now, I've only smoked half cigarettes, sometimes just a third, and am now at that stage I can't smoke a whole one anymore! Don't even smoke in the car to work anymore, what a major victory that has been!

The only times that are the most challenging is sitting at the computer. But there's days now where I don't even smoke 3/4 of a pack a day. My next goal, after my 1st anniversary of doing halves, is to cut down more, but only by another 1/4 of a pack, and another 1/4 after that.

The loss of $ spent on cigarettes doesn't impact me, as for 10 years now I've been stuffing the empty cigarette tubes with "chemical-free" tobacco. We're looking at $1.25 to $1.50 a pack.

I'm not going to advise the OP to take this route, as this may only work for certain people.

Old 02-01-2012, 05:27 AM

But if a nonsmoker catches you smoking just one, that's just more than enough for them to throw you into the pool with your clothes on, with the rest of them!

Old 02-02-2012, 01:12 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:

I am the OP--no, your method sounds pretty good! I had gradually cut down before I quit, not as much as you have, though. My brother bought the cigarette-making machine and real tobacco and is making his own. So much cheaper.

Anyway, the quit-smoking depression dissipated after about a week. Then, of course, we were in the depths of winter darkness, so I had to deal with lack-of-sunlight depression, but it's getting lighter.

The mood changes I noticed that were directly related to not smoking really did leave after about a week. I now think occasionally about a cigarette but don't want one badly enough to smoke again.

Old 06-15-2012, 09:32 PM

1 posts, read 1,026 times
I'm going on 3 months of not smoking cigarettes. I used the patch for 10 weeks and came off a few weeks ago...my mood has been bad, at best. When my mood has gone from bad to worse, I've smoke a cigar a few times...it's helped and I still have no intention of smoking a cigarette. But I don't want to get hooked on the cigars either...but, my family and job are being affected by mood. It's that time of the month once a day, and i'm not a female!!! Any advice on natural herbs or vitamins to help my mood??

Old 10-17-2012, 07:03 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,095,474 times
Quitting smoking is depressing. Emphysema is more depressing. I don't have emphysema but a couple of my friends do. One friend practically never leaves his house. Sits around all day breathing with an oxygen tank. Another friend gets winded walking to his refrigerator for a beer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health